Close
Photo
- - - - -

Dixie Narco Bev Max 5591 too cold; product freezing up...HELP!

Bex Max 5591 Drink Soda freezing too cold

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vic

Vic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Hello...

I recently purchased a refurbed DN Bev Max 5591 for a new account. The machine looked good and worked good for a couple of weeks but some product recently started freezing up. The temp registers 32 degrees when I check it from the keypad (F*). The manual instructs entering Setup Mode 2 and pressing key 8 to reset the refrigeration temp, but nothing happens when I do this...it just continues to register Setup Mode 2 on the crawl. Am I misinterpreting something? Any advice on how to get in?

The seller suggested I use the Master Reset to return to factory settings, but I wanted to hear from some experts before trying this.

I also see a dial for adjusting the compressor temp but it had a piece of yellow tape over it that looked factory applied...I thought this might mean hands off for newbies like me. It also looked as though a special tool might be needed to back off the compressor, so I did not try.

Lastly, I reviewed the stuff in the manual about setting a storage temperature. I thought I might be able to raise the temp a few hours a day to prevent freezing. It is a good account that runs three shitfs and I want to keep them happy.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Regards,

Vic

#2 Vic

Vic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hello again...

I just looked at another DN55## manual I found online and it said temerature control is set manually by turning a simple screw. That is not what the adjustment device in my machine looks like. Hard to describe, but it is circular with a hole in the middle and a smaller hole below...maybe the adjustment screw is gone?

#3 AZVendor

AZVendor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

Vic,

I think you have a bad themostat. A stuck or intermittent thermostat will cause freezing by not turning the compressor off.

Don't do a master reset, it's not needed and will mess up all programming. Don't do anything in the Storage Settings, that is for a machine that won't be used for weeks or months.

This machine can have an optional temperature sensor installed that will, from the keypad press of "F" or "C", display the current temperature in degrees Fahrenheit or Centigrade. Apparently you do have the sensor since you get a reading, but the sensor is not used to adjust the temperature setting. That is done through the hardware thermostat mounted on top of the power supply box in the coin compartment. There are two thermostats in this location, one you can adjust and one for defrosting that has no provision for adjustment. The adjustable thermostat should be set as follows:

1. Remove the yellow tape you see.
2. There should be a label around the adjusting opening that is marked like a clock.
3. The thermostat has a flat screw slot in the center to use for adjustment. Make a notation of where the slot is lined up (toward which number on the label).
4. Using a screwdriver, turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise until the compressor turns off. It should not turn more than 180 degrees. If you know the thermostat is as far counterclockwise as possible and the compressor is not turning off, then you have a bad thermostat.
5. Noting where the slot is when the thermostat is completey off, this becomes ZERO.
6. Turn the adjustment slot clockwise to the 3 1/2 position on the dial, or to a position that represents 3:30 if you only have hash marks on the dial.
7. This is the proper setting for all soda machines. If it's noticeably closer to OFF than where it was when you started, it's likely that it was set too cold before. Leave it there and check the machine tomorrow. You should have a thermometer in the machine, but you can check with "F" on the keypad.

If you have a bad thermostat, I have them in stock if you need it. I can also explain the process to replace it if needed.

Also, Setup Mode 2 doesn't have anything programmed for key 8. That's why the display stays at Setup Mode 2.

Edited by AZVendor, 29 March 2013 - 03:30 AM.

#4 Vic

Vic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

Hello, and thank you so much. The shop is closed until third shift Sunday night, but I think (hope) I should be ok until then. I'll be in touch if it looks like the thermostat needs replacement. Is it a good idea to have an extra one on hand, or is a bad thermostat not a particularly common occurence?

Regards, and thanks again!

Vic

#5 AZVendor

AZVendor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thermostat failure is not very common so unless you have several Bevmaxes in the field, I wouldn't keep one in stock. The telltale sign of a bad thermostat though, is when you have frozen product or customers begin to thank you for the "perfect temperature" soda that has flecks of ice in it. Keep in mind that water bottles and diet drinks will freeze first as they have no sugar in them to act as an antifreeze. If you don't take care of this at the first sign, the products will continue freezing, then they will explode and make a huge mess in the machine.

#6 Vic

Vic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

Hello...

I tried what you suggested and the compressor did not turn off...how do I get in touch to order the thermostat and get the walk through if needed? My cell is 269-207-2907 . email is vicbreaktime@aol.com . I also may have backed off the temp control screw more that the 180 degrees you mentioned...hope that is not a problem. When I checked the machine last Sunday after the location opened for third shift, the temp from the keypad...F*...was 36 degrees. After I fiddled with it that night the temp was 25 degrees the next day and one bottle did blow. I unplugged the compressor on the inside of the machine to prevent further blow ups...hope to hear from you here or by phone or email. Thanks again...

Vic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bex Max, 5591, Drink, Soda, freezing, too cold