Paying someone to move mechanical soda machine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Qmancandy

Qmancandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:I've been in business since 06/2005. I have added soda machines, combo and snack machines. I have some bulk vending and spiral gumball machines as well.

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

I have a location that has just enough space for a mechanical soda machine. I don't have the vehicule nor the equipment to move it nor do I want to purchase the equipment now since I mostly into bulk candy.

Has anyone ever used professional movers to transport a machine to one of their locations? If so what kind of money should I expect and how did it work out?

#2 coinvestor

coinvestor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

I have a location that has just enough space for a mechanical soda machine. I don't have the vehicule nor the equipment to move it nor do I want to purchase the equipment now since I mostly into bulk candy.

Has anyone ever used professional movers to transport a machine to one of their locations? If so what kind of money should I expect and how did it work out?

I never move any of my machines. I have always had them moved. I used a local machine refurbisher to do the moves for me until he dropped one of them. You can also use a mover and they would be insured against the damage if they did drop it. I pay $50-100 per machine depending on how far they are going, and how hard the location is to get into (price does not include any stairs).

JD

#3 Qmancandy

Qmancandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:I've been in business since 06/2005. I have added soda machines, combo and snack machines. I have some bulk vending and spiral gumball machines as well.

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:35 AM

I never move any of my machines. I have always had them moved. I used a local machine refurbisher to do the moves for me until he dropped one of them. You can also use a mover and they would be insured against the damage if they did drop it. I pay $50-100 per machine depending on how far they are going, and how hard the location is to get into (price does not include any stairs).
JD

#4 Qmancandy

Qmancandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:37 AM

Thanks that was very helpful.

#5 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:54 AM

Thanks that was very helpful.

One thing about vending is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Sometimes we can accomplish the same thing, but in different ways.

I always move my own machines. I paid $200 to have my first machine delivered (I had it shipped to my home), and I vowed I would never pay that kind of money again for a move.

I bought a trailer, put a hitch on my vehicle, bought a portable forklift and a hand truck and I move all my machines by myself. Most of the time, I need no one else to help me.

I spent about $2000 on the equipment, and with as much shifting around as I've done since I got into this business, I have clearly come out ahead on cost, even if you average the cost out at $100 per machine. In this business, there are times when you keep an account, but you need to swap out equipment for various reasons. If you have the equipment and the capability to do the moving yourself, you are not subject to someone else's availability and price tag, and you can act immediately if you need to.

Of course, only you can decide if you're up for the task of moving your machines. If you don't think you can do it safely, or are not willing to buy the needed tools to do the job, then you should have someone else do it.

Something else that will help you is that anytime you buy equipment, always have it shipped to your account and never to your home or place of business. Doing this simple thing will save you incredible amounts of time and hassle. I've never seen any benefit to doing it the other way around. Anything you need to do to set up a machine can be done quickly and onsite at your account. Plus, seeing you there does a lot to build customer enthusiasm as they see that you care about a proper installation and gives you a chance to build rapport.

#6 coinvestor

coinvestor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:28 PM

One thing about vending is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Sometimes we can accomplish the same thing, but in different ways.

I always move my own machines. I paid $200 to have my first machine delivered (I had it shipped to my home), and I vowed I would never pay that kind of money again for a move.

I bought a trailer, put a hitch on my vehicle, bought a portable forklift and a hand truck and I move all my machines by myself. Most of the time, I need no one else to help me.

I spent about $2000 on the equipment, and with as much shifting around as I've done since I got into this business, I have clearly come out ahead on cost, even if you average the cost out at $100 per machine. In this business, there are times when you keep an account, but you need to swap out equipment for various reasons. If you have the equipment and the capability to do the moving yourself, you are not subject to someone else's availability and price tag, and you can act immediately if you need to.

Of course, only you can decide if you're up for the task of moving your machines. If you don't think you can do it safely, or are not willing to buy the needed tools to do the job, then you should have someone else do it.

Something else that will help you is that anytime you buy equipment, always have it shipped to your account and never to your home or place of business. Doing this simple thing will save you incredible amounts of time and hassle. I've never seen any benefit to doing it the other way around. Anything you need to do to set up a machine can be done quickly and onsite at your account. Plus, seeing you there does a lot to build customer enthusiasm as they see that you care about a proper installation and gives you a chance to build rapport.

BVI, I agree, I am not saving any money by having them moved. I have the equipment to do it, but I would just rather not. This is my own little luxury I afford myself:)

JD

#7 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:27 PM

BVI, I agree, I am not saving any money by having them moved. I have the equipment to do it, but I would just rather not. This is my own little luxury I afford myself:)

JD

Nothing wrong with that, my friend. I dread it every time I have to move one of those things! It really is a pain in the you know where.

Now, there have been a time or two where I paid someone $10 an hour just to help me out for a couple of hours. I could have done it myself, but I had just too much going on and wanted to get it done fast.