• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bhunso

bhunso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:22 AM

im new to pastry jst wanna make sure how much u guys sell the big texas cinnamon roll 4oz and honey buns 3oz? thanks

#2 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:11 PM

im new to pastry jst wanna make sure how much u guys sell the big texas cinnamon roll 4oz and honey buns 3oz? thanks

I sell all pastries at .85. However, since prices have been increasing, coupled with that I'm now buying from Vistar which prices their items higher anyway, I had to drop the Big Tex because unit cost for me is .48 and I would have to sell those for $1.00 to maintain my profit margins. Instead, I buy the Freshley Tex roll at a unit cost of .42, which I can sell at .85 and make my 50%.

I also buy a lot of Dolly Madison at a unit cost of .42.

#3 bcron

bcron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:39 AM

I sell all pastries at .85. However, since prices have been increasing, coupled with that I'm now buying from Vistar which prices their items higher anyway, I had to drop the Big Tex because unit cost for me is .48 and I would have to sell those for $1.00 to maintain my profit margins. Instead, I buy the Freshley Tex roll at a unit cost of .42, which I can sell at .85 and make my 50%.

I also buy a lot of Dolly Madison at a unit cost of .42.

I haven't seen the Dolly Madisons anywhere (then again, I pretty much stick to Sam's). Do you get them from Vistar and what kind of shelf life do they have. I tried some Hostess for a short time, but the shelf life was just too short.

#4 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:17 AM

I haven't seen the Dolly Madisons anywhere (then again, I pretty much stick to Sam's). Do you get them from Vistar and what kind of shelf life do they have. I tried some Hostess for a short time, but the shelf life was just too short.

Most of the pastries you buy at Sam's will be date coded. However, Cloverhill items, such as the Big Tex, are not.

I made the transition to buying from Vistar a few months ago. That's where I buy Dolly Madison. You just can't go wrong with Dolly. I buy frozen instead of "fresh". The "fresh" items come in dated, which I like to avoid. Buy frozen, and none of it is date coded. I'm going to step out on a limb here and say what most vendors are "thinking"... most non-dated pastry can stay in the machine for as long as it "looks" fresh (excluding fruit pies, which you have to pre-order and are date coded). My experience is that if it looks fresh in the package, even if it's been in the machine for a 3 months, then there is likely to be nothing wrong with it.

Most items stay fresh long past the dates on the package. There has been much discussion as to whether date coding is simply a way for manufacturers and wholesalers to dictate more frequent reorders by vendors like us, assuming that if we don't sell it we will either give it away or throw it away and buy more (from them!). Take most any pastry item that has been treated well (not gotten too hot, hasn't been squashed, etc...) into the 12th and 13th week on the shelf and test if for quality. There won't be the huge noticeable difference in quality, if there is any difference at all.

#5 HooseFoose

HooseFoose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

I sell the Bix Texas Cinnamon rolls with great success at $1 a piece and the Honey Buns for $.90. I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area. I have only recently introduced the cinnamon rolls, but they seem to go very quickly. Thanks.

Sincerely,

~HooseFoose~

:D

#6 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:50 PM

I sell the Bix Texas Cinnamon rolls with great success at $1 a piece and the Honey Buns for $.90. I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area. I have only recently introduced the cinnamon rolls, but they seem to go very quickly. Thanks.

Sincerely,

~HooseFoose~

:D

When I was buying those at Sam's, my unit cost was .34, so I could sell them at .75 and double my return with no problem. Then gas prices went crazy at the same time I switched to buying from Vistar, and all of a sudden, my cost on the Big Tex went to .48 unit cost. Unbelievable. I would also have to sell them at $1.00.

The reason I haven't put them back in is because all my other pastries are priced at .85, which is a 50% profit margin at that price. It would be sort of like setting the Big Tex up for failure.

By the way, Cloverhill shrunk the Big Tex and also took out the trans fats, which has made it a pretty dry tasting roll now. Same with Freshley's. Freshley's is so dry that customers think they're stale the day I receive them from Vistar, also because of the lack of trans fats.

#7 coinvestor

coinvestor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

When I was buying those at Sam's, my unit cost was .34, so I could sell them at .75 and double my return with no problem. Then gas prices went crazy at the same time I switched to buying from Vistar, and all of a sudden, my cost on the Big Tex went to .48 unit cost. Unbelievable. I would also have to sell them at $1.00.

The reason I haven't put them back in is because all my other pastries are priced at .85, which is a 50% profit margin at that price. It would be sort of like setting the Big Tex up for failure.

By the way, Cloverhill shrunk the Big Tex and also took out the trans fats, which has made it a pretty dry tasting roll now. Same with Freshley's. Freshley's is so dry that customers think they're stale the day I receive them from Vistar, also because of the lack of trans fats.

I don't even see Dolly Madison in my Vistar book. Is that the manufacturer (this stupid book)?

My pastry prices will go up to .85 on July 1st. I am at .75 right now. I am trying to keep at least one item in each machine that is more than a $1 just so people get used to seeing it.

JD

#8 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:45 PM

I don't even see Dolly Madison in my Vistar book. Is that the manufacturer (this stupid book)?

My pastry prices will go up to .85 on July 1st. I am at .75 right now. I am trying to keep at least one item in each machine that is more than a $1 just so people get used to seeing it.

JD

Dolly Madison is new this year for my local Vistar (their closest distribution center is in Louisville), and it could just be a regional or local arrangement. Maybe your Vistar just hasn't added Dolly yet. You might ask your rep if they plan to. I love Dolly Madison. Everyone knows the name and they don't mind paying top dollar for it. Dolly sells so well that I have converted all my pastry items over to Dolly, except for the Freshley's Grand Honeybun, which also sells well at .85.