2 replies to this topic

#1 bcron

bcron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:45 PM

How agressive are you when you have an account who has confirmed that you are in, but they have to arrange to get the previous vendor out? How often do you call/stop by to check on arrangements? I have gotten in on a new account, but don't want to wear out my welcome by calling too often to check on their progress. The manager is a busy enough person (which I know they all are) and I'm sure the vending machines aren't the highest on his priority list.

What guidelines do you go by in that situation....be a pain the rump or sit back a little and not be too aggressive? Can you scare them off by making a pain of yourself?

#2 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:03 PM

How agressive are you when you have an account who has confirmed that you are in, but they have to arrange to get the previous vendor out? How often do you call/stop by to check on arrangements? I have gotten in on a new account, but don't want to wear out my welcome by calling too often to check on their progress. The manager is a busy enough person (which I know they all are) and I'm sure the vending machines aren't the highest on his priority list.

What guidelines do you go by in that situation....be a pain the rump or sit back a little and not be too aggressive? Can you scare them off by making a pain of yourself?

You really have to set it up before you leave. What I mean is, as you close the sales call, ask:

"To get things moving forward, what do you need from me?"

They will tell you. If they need something in writing that you haven't already provided, get it to them the very next day so that there are no delays.

Then, you say, "Okay, so that I can do that, here's what I need from you..."

What I usually tell them I need is a firm target date for installation. This involves notifying the other vendor. They need to commit to a date by which they will notify the other vendor so you can meet your target install date.

You summarize, "Okay... I will get you (whatever you need) and you will have it in your hands by end of day tomorrow. You'll notify your current vendor that they need to remove their equipment by (such and such date), and then I will have my equipment delivered and installed by (such and such date). Does that sound right?

If you really want to be thorough, follow up with an email which includes the same summary of what you agreed to do and what they agreed to do. I really stumble on this one.

If they are really serious about making the change, they are much more likely to follow through and get it done if you have set things up properly. They will be much more likely to take your calls because things are moving in the forward direction. The less serious they are, the less likely they are to follow-through, and there are always exceptions who will lie and tell you they'll do something without any intent to do so, and they will be obvious because they are the ones who won't take your calls when you try to follow-up.

And by the way, be tenacious. Very tenacious.

#3 bcron

bcron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

You really have to set it up before you leave. What I mean is, as you close the sales call, ask:

"To get things moving forward, what do you need from me?"

They will tell you. If they need something in writing that you haven't already provided, get it to them the very next day so that there are no delays.

Then, you say, "Okay, so that I can do that, here's what I need from you..."

What I usually tell them I need is a firm target date for installation. This involves notifying the other vendor. They need to commit to a date by which they will notify the other vendor so you can meet your target install date.

You summarize, "Okay... I will get you (whatever you need) and you will have it in your hands by end of day tomorrow. You'll notify your current vendor that they need to remove their equipment by (such and such date), and then I will have my equipment delivered and installed by (such and such date). Does that sound right?

If you really want to be thorough, follow up with an email which includes the same summary of what you agreed to do and what they agreed to do. I really stumble on this one.

If they are really serious about making the change, they are much more likely to follow through and get it done if you have set things up properly. They will be much more likely to take your calls because things are moving in the forward direction. The less serious they are, the less likely they are to follow-through, and there are always exceptions who will lie and tell you they'll do something without any intent to do so, and they will be obvious because they are the ones who won't take your calls when you try to follow-up.

And by the way, be tenacious. Very tenacious.

Ok, thanks for the coaching. I am sure they are serious. Even when I told a couple of employees I was not there (on the first visit) to repair the current machines, rather to replace the vendor, they pretty much cheered, so it looks like they're pretty motivated.