• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jschildm

jschildm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

My machine is a Dickie Narco 348. My compressor is making funny/rattling noise and not getting cold. I checked the fan and it spins free/quiet.

My compressor is a model aea3440axa with a ae231al-725 bill of materials. I am trying to figure out which compressor would work and if I can switch to a R134 compressor? Also if I should swap the whole cooling decks or just compressor.

This is just a personal machine in my shop so the cheaper the better. I have seen some relatively cheap units on eBay, but they aren't my exact model number. Can someone help me out on what I need to make this run again, preferably fairly reasonable?

Thanks.

#2 AZVendor

AZVendor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

You can't convert this unit to 134a if it was originally built as an R12 unit because the oils used with those two gases are different.  Changing freon with the wrong oil in the system will cause the system to prematurely fail.  The only option other than R12 is to charge the unit with 401a or MP39 as it's called.  That is a hybrid freon that can be dropped in on R12 and R134a systems.  While the value of your machine is not high you either need to find a qualified and EPA certified vending or small appliance refrigeration tech to replace the compressor on your deck.  This can cost you upwards of $400+ to do this so you might consider looking instead for an old machine that works to spend your money on.  You could also try to find someone that sells used vending decks for a 2 can deep machine.  Those decks go for about $125 here with no warranty.