• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 vendinggal

vendinggal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:34 AM

I am having trouble locating machines. I have used local hired salespeople and professional locators. Doing it myself won't work as I fear rejection. Local people are slow to find places and the pros use telemarketing and are expensive and don't really get places I would like to service. Any ideas?

#2 Vending Chat

Vending Chat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:32 PM

Other than mailers, which don't work well, there aren't many options. You'll have to get creative. You probably won't fear rejection so much if you feel like you have something of value to offer to the location in return. What can you do to help them?

Maybe find a partner who can do the locating if you run the route or most of it. The are books and other things about getting locations, but they depend on your willingness to try.

If you can find a really good locator, it is worth spending the money because a good location will make up that fee in one month, but be careful hiring any locator. Don't believe anything until you see it, even if it is in writing - that means nothing.

A good way to find locations and feel more like you are providing them with a desired service rather than just taking up their space, is to leave them with a generous sampling of your products: a care package with unique items that they normally would not see in a vendor and that caters to adults. This is coupled with going after large accounts of adult employees on site. Without pressure, just let them know who you are and what you offer while leaving them with the sample pack, which they will love. They will be at ease and you aren't trying to get an answer out of them. Just leave a note with it saying that if they would like these and other unique tastes regularly, they can call you to request so.

By the end of the week, they are running out of their favorites and often call you for more! :wub:

#3 lrbv

lrbv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:18 PM

I understand what you are talking about!!! I paid a lot of money for a locator to place 20 machines about a month ago and most of them need to be re-located. Several didn't even gross more that $3 in a month. One, that I checked on after two weeks, was full of ants and had ant spray all over it. It has been a hard learning experience and somewhat discouraging.

Bottom line is you are going to have to do this if you what to make it work. I have located a couple of machines myself and each time it gets easier. You have to get out there and just try. It is not something I could have ever imagined because I care too much about what people think, get embarrassed and hate rejection. I am changing and just keep telling myself so what if they said no. Having a charity helps to get in the door. Believe me you have to get in front of these people at some point to service the machines so you might as well place them.

After the intial location disaster I had two machines placed by a locator on Ebay. Her name is Jayne. She found me some decent spots but the others I know I have to relocate on my own because only I know my area. Wish me luck.

#4 lrbv

lrbv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:53 PM

I am frustrated with locating myself and could use some advice. I live in a very populated city with many cultural differences. I could use any advice on how to sucessfully locate my triple head machines. Not just placing them but placing them at places that will pay-off. I have placed a few and they are duds. Today I went out and everyone said no.

I have to do this myself because I have already spend A LOT of money to get them professionally located. Well, obviously that didn't work out if I am relocating machines that don't even gross $2.00 a month. What did I get myself into? :(

#5 CoolHand

CoolHand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:10 AM

I am frustrated with locating myself and could use some advice.  I live in a very populated city with many cultural differences.  I could use any advice on how to sucessfully locate my triple head machines.  Not just placing them but placing them at places that will pay-off.  I have placed a few and they are duds.  Today I went out and everyone said no. 

I have to do this myself because I have already spend A LOT of money to get them professionally located. Well, obviously that didn't work out if I am relocating machines that don't even gross $2.00 a month.  What did I get myself into?  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Smaller communites... Drive out of town. I live in a major metropolitan area but all my route is in small sattelite towns. City folk just always seem too harried and they've usually heard it a couple of hundred times before.

Good Luck

BTW I can recommend a GREAT national locator if you'd like. You can ride along with them and learn how easy it really is if you dont make it too complicated.

#6 kandyklassics

kandyklassics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

I am having trouble locating machines. I have used local hired salespeople and professional locators. Doing it myself won't work as I fear rejection. Local people are slow to find places and the pros use telemarketing and are expensive and don't really get places I would like to service. Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ran into the same problem when I first tried to locate. I simply took out my phone book and when down the line. After about five rejrections, I gave it up and decided to try a locator. The first three locaotors I used were rip-offs. Fortunately, I didn't lose more than $75 all together. Then I did further research and found a fourth locator that I decided to give a try. They found a really good location and I used them twice thereafter. I have since then tried a fifth company that was listed on ebay and I'm waiting for three locations now. Overall, I think it all boils down to finding a trustworthy locator who will do the work and get kick-ass locations. One location I was issued makes over $100 dollars every two months which isn't bad at all for candy. I have since then decided to use locators for all my needs since they are more experienced and know exactly what to look for. I personally don't have time to go from business to business or spend hours on the phone since I have a full time job. I hope this helps.

#7 kennr

kennr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have Been In Vending Over 40 years

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:12 AM

www.vendingbooks.com You may want to check it out.

#8 wayne

wayne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:49 PM

Smaller communites... Drive out of town. I live in a major metropolitan area but all my route is in small sattelite towns. City folk just always seem too harried and they've usually heard it a couple of hundred times before.

Good Luck

BTW I can recommend a GREAT national locator if you'd like. You can ride along with them and learn how easy it really is if you dont make it too complicated.

so let me in on this GREAT national locator,I'd love to use them if their that good.
Thanks
Wayne

#9 davidm

davidm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:02 PM

Been in the Bulk business now for 4 years with just six triple heads. Lately been self motivated and self locating. Found 3 locations today which is a rare event. One is the back building of a large cematary were the grounds machinery is kept and with 17 employees.
Another is a office were concrete drivers work out of, they have 5 employees all day long but she said on Fridays 60 drivers come buy to get paid.
The next is a auto body shop that has a UTurn in the side room that was not taken care of. I told them I take care of my machines and have 2 across the street at the nursing home (which is true). They are going to get rid of the UTurn and place my triple in the lobby.
I do not use charitys, half the battle is getting past the front desk person. The more upscale the harder to get in the door. Do best with the hands on rough and tough places.
Placed one machine 2 weeks ago that was in my garage for months. Just wasnt motivated, but placed that in a 24 hour machine shop with 50 employees total.
Bought 3 more machines this week.
Finally had some cards printed also, they most likely wont call you later but it makes the presentation look better.

David

#10 cruzincaril

cruzincaril

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:54 PM

Good Luck

AND WHAT WOULD THE NAME OF THAT GREAT NATIONAL LOCATOR BE?

#11 davidm

davidm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:06 AM

Found a locating site the other day. A different approach to locating. Might give them a try when I want to expand quicker than my time allows for self locating.
Email for the info.

David

#12 dreni

dreni

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:25 PM

Anyone know anything about the company called www.superiorplacementservice.com?

#13 pkenner

pkenner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:46 PM

I am frustrated with locating myself and could use some advice. I live in a very populated city with many cultural differences. I could use any advice on how to sucessfully locate my triple head machines. Not just placing them but placing them at places that will pay-off. I have placed a few and they are duds. Today I went out and everyone said no.

I have to do this myself because I have already spend A LOT of money to get them professionally located. Well, obviously that didn't work out if I am relocating machines that don't even gross $2.00 a month. What did I get myself into? :(

Do you still have the name of this locator?

Thanks

#14 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

I live in a very populated city with many cultural differences.

I agree- branch out to the burbs.

I could use any advice on how to sucessfully locate my triple head machines.

My advice would be to break them down to doubles or even singles. More heads on one stand is not always better. I run singles, doubles and racks. If I get a hot location that will handle more than 2 heads, I throw in a 5 way rack. Or at the very least a rack with 2 16" globes on the bottom and a sticker machine on top. Now that is a great combo!

#15 Eric w/ USEDvending.com

Eric w/ USEDvending.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

This info may be helpful for this subject... :D

http://find-vending-...s.blogspot.com/

#16 kennr

kennr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have Been In Vending Over 40 years

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

You don't have to be a salesman (sales lady) to locate on your own eventually if you stay in the vending business you
will have to. It is easier than you think. The money you save on locating companies can buy you a lot more vending machines. Everybody is a sales person.

#17 candyman007

candyman007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

Wow, $3 a month is a dud location. Ok, first of all the fear of vending thing.. It is very difficult at first. My first week was hell. I hated getting out of my car and going place to place. They would say, No, No, No. So eventually I would place a machine and then I would get on a roll. It's amazing how motivating placing just one machine will make you. Once you place a machine make sure to locate for the rest of the day, you should do well.

On locators. Well, I have the best. I have a great deal because I have a blog and send in referrals. See here is what I think the difference is in locators and locations. First off, you have locators who give you locations. And by locations, I mean they are just giving you locations indiscriminately. Now, I started out this way for 3 machines and I was like hell no. I called him up and said I don't want any more poop locations. I said I'll pay what I need to for prime locations but I don't want poop anymore no matter how cheap they are. So no more poop. And, I won't take poop at all. If I don't like a location, I call up and say, this one was poop, find a new one. No problem. I pay the minute after he finds me a good location though. I think that is key, and I help him with his business.

I got some apartment buildings today that he found. Kick ass. They will make $30+ a month. High traffic, workers, kids, everything. Talk about prime locations. Another key is to tell the locators what locations you are willing to accept. I start off with this.

Restaurants
Chinese Places
Salons
Apartment Buildings
Break Rooms at big stores like KMART

That will get you started for sure. Those locations are what I consider prime. Try them out. I also have a 45 day warranty. Meaning I have a month to check my machine and see if it's doing well. If not, I call up and say hey, give me a new location, this one is poop. That's how it should be honestly. We are paying customers we deserve the best.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Shoot me an email if you want me to hook you up with a locating deal. robertnpatterson@gmail.com I'll send my locator an email and tell him that you want the same "Prime location" deal that I have. That way you know you're getting the good stuff, haha.

Rob
http://candyman007.blogspot.com

#18 bulkvending.blogspot.com

bulkvending.blogspot.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Flying Planes, Small Business, Stocks

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:06 AM

Hi,
This is just a great question, but no easy answer to.

I think there are just 3 options

1) Pay a Telemarketing or In Person Locator - Expensive, but you can give them the specific locations you want and they do all the work. That is what you are paying for. It is not fun to locate and I feel the fee can be worth it if you are not really into that. You will still have to be able to be friendly and personable and like talking and dealing with people. If the owners do not feel comfortable when you come in and service the machines they will probably ask you to take them out over time. Someone who is friendly and they like will probably keep the location for years. It is kind of like sales, if they like you they will buy from you.

http://bulkvending.b...-equipment.html

2) Do it yourself - We all know how hard locating by yourself is even if you have some experience at it. Some people love it and find it very easy and others absolutely hate it and would rather have their left foot cut off instead of having to deal with and speak to managers/owners etc. in front of an audience. I think it is kind of like public speaking. Many dread having to get up in front of an audience and do a speach and others (The Hams) love getting up in front of an audience and are just comfortable speaking to anyone or a crowd. These are usually the people that end up making big money in sales or in business. If you don't have this knack or talent then hiring someone to do it for you is the way to go.

Ronnie Talents Ebook on Finding Great Locations (You can visit http://diets123.tgip...et/?tid=VENDING and look under our links to find this ebook)

3) Buy existing Routes - buying an existing route saves you the time of assembling and locating machines. You still will have to eventually relocate machines though. So you will be back to #1 or #2 eventually, but it just won't be with as many machines if the route is good.

Smarter Vending Ebook on Buying Existing Routes - http://diets123.mizz...et/?tid=VENDING

I hope this helps you. Locating is the most difficult part of this business and you just have to figure out how you want to approach it.

Visit our BulkVending Blog at http://www.bulkvending.blogspot.com

#19 philo

philo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Question-

I usually do my locating in person, but lately, considering the price of gas, I have been thinking about doing some telemarketing. Using the online yellowpages I can get plenty of "leads". Have any of you been successful doing this, or is the personal touch still the best way?

Philo

#20 Gwen

Gwen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:16 PM

I started locating with my husband yesterday night. We have just started the business we got 4 machines to locate we got a positive respond after 1 hr 30 min but we got to wait to get our charity certificate letter before they let us locate the machine. I was wondering if someone has a script of what can be said so I can polishe up our presentation. Does anyone have any ideas?

#21 SgtMac

SgtMac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:42 AM

I've had my machines for 2 years now. 4 of them. Big, expensive, electric kinetic machines. I have had two of them placed for exactly 6 months. Then the location went out of business. This has been an expensive, $200/month payment, experience.

Any ideas on locating big units? I have little time and have had 4 different locating companies turn up exactly 0 locations.

What is the key to getting these things located. The one locatio I had I got by giving the Pizza delivery guy a flyer I had made up. His boss was looking for some machines.

I am a little jaded here if you couldn't tell. But I know this could work if I could just get the things out of my garage. ( I made $11 one saturday when I turned the machines on during my wifes garage sale. That was kinda funny.)

Any Ideas?

#22 tedk

tedk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:01 AM

I've had my machines for 2 years now. 4 of them. Big, expensive, electric kinetic machines. I have had two of them placed for exactly 6 months. Then the location went out of business. This has been an expensive, $200/month payment, experience.

Any ideas on locating big units? I have little time and have had 4 different locating companies turn up exactly 0 locations.

What is the key to getting these things located. The one locatio I had I got by giving the Pizza delivery guy a flyer I had made up. His boss was looking for some machines.

I am a little jaded here if you couldn't tell. But I know this could work if I could just get the things out of my garage. ( I made $11 one saturday when I turned the machines on during my wifes garage sale. That was kinda funny.)

Any Ideas?

Are these Antares machines?

#23 SgtMac

SgtMac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:40 AM

No. These are Wowie Zowie and Lollipop Mine Machines.

#24 betty

betty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

try hiring a collage kid !!

#25 Westcoast-vend.com

Westcoast-vend.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:51 PM

I don't think there is any locator that is worth paying for. If you want to own your own business you have to read about it, go on forums like this one, talk to people that have done it already and go out there and sell your machines yourself. You are paying a locator to find a place to put your machine. They do not care how much you do after they get their fee. You need to talk to the owner, find the best location in the account, ie. close to the register, close to the door, etc. You can do it. Everyone can sell. You will get about 15-20 NO's before you get a YES.

But, when you get a YES you will be so excited!

Go out there and get them...

Gary
Westcoast-vend.com