4 replies to this topic

#1 pujolsfan

pujolsfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

I need to outfit a new location with a snack, soda and bulk candy machines.

I already have a bulk candy machine, and I'm not sure what to do about the snack and soda. I'm not apposed to having two units, but I would like to have a combo machine because I think it would be large enough to fit my needs....and should be cheaper?

What are your thoughts about combo machines and which kind should I look into buying?

#2 H4UV

H4UV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

I would advise against combo machines unless it was a BIG location. Generally combo machines tend to malfunction, have weird and unexplainable problems, and are more work and expense then they are worth. If you did buy a combo, the only ones I would recommend are the newer National 474 and 484 snack soda combos. The only problem with those is that they are 4 wides, and not good for large locations. The AP LCM combos are good, but often have thermostat problems that lead to interesting results. (I once had a vendor who had a cooling problem, and it led to the bill validator not working.???) It was later determined that a micro processor on the board was malfunctioning. I would go with separate snack and soda machines. It also helps with two machines, if one is down, your revenue doesn't stop completely.

Whatever you do, DON'T BUY GENESIS COMBO MACHINES. Not being down on those that own them, but in general, they are fairly unreliable and several drawbacks. Like the fact that they have very low capacity comapared to most other brands. Their cash collection system is basically a bucket under the validator that "catches" the bills once they fall. And the cooling is hard to access and is known to have problems.

I would most certainly go with whatever National has to offer in the way of combos, even their cold snack and soda combos would be fine. Just be ready for potential problems, more so than with regular snack and soda machines.

#3 MVSJOHN

MVSJOHN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

I need to outfit a new location with a snack, soda and bulk candy machines.

I already have a bulk candy machine, and I'm not sure what to do about the snack and soda. I'm not apposed to having two units, but I would like to have a combo machine because I think it would be large enough to fit my needs....and should be cheaper?

What are your thoughts about combo machines and which kind should I look into buying?

I have a National 472 that's been fairly reliable with the only problems being coin mechs and dollar validator,a Combo II from Vending.com(no problems but pricey)and an Antaras that I got with a route purchase(no problems but I wouldn't recommend buying one of those).
John

#4 pujolsfan

pujolsfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

I would advise against combo machines unless it was a BIG location. Generally combo machines tend to malfunction, have weird and unexplainable problems, and are more work and expense then they are worth. If you did buy a combo, the only ones I would recommend are the newer National 474 and 484 snack soda combos. The only problem with those is that they are 4 wides, and not good for large locations. The AP LCM combos are good, but often have thermostat problems that lead to interesting results. (I once had a vendor who had a cooling problem, and it led to the bill validator not working.???) It was later determined that a micro processor on the board was malfunctioning. I would go with separate snack and soda machines. It also helps with two machines, if one is down, your revenue doesn't stop completely.

Whatever you do, DON'T BUY GENESIS COMBO MACHINES. Not being down on those that own them, but in general, they are fairly unreliable and several drawbacks. Like the fact that they have very low capacity comapared to most other brands. Their cash collection system is basically a bucket under the validator that "catches" the bills once they fall. And the cooling is hard to access and is known to have problems.

I would most certainly go with whatever National has to offer in the way of combos, even their cold snack and soda combos would be fine. Just be ready for potential problems, more so than with regular snack and soda machines.

You make a good point about the loss of revenue, where as having two machines would cut the loss in half. I hadn't even though of that.
I've never had a combo machine, but I've heard they can be a pain. I was just trying to get a definite feel for them before I decided on which I should get. I'm going to probably lean toward two separate machines unless i get a heck of a deal on a combo.

Any ideas where I might could look for some decent priced machines? any sites that advertise local sales? Hopefully I'll be able to find some on craigslist.

I'm really new to vending and i've only got a few locations. From what I hear probably national and AP are probably the way to go? and vendo for drinks? I've got a rowe machine that i'm fine with...but it's pretty old. I don't figure I should invest in another one of those

#5 H4UV

H4UV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:01 AM

National and AP are both fine. Vendo or Dixie Narco are both good. I've always used Dixie Narco, but Vendo is fine. If you buy National, go after the 147 or 157. 167 is fine, just more expensive. With the APs, the 7600s are great machines, but if possible, I try to buy newer ones, like the LCM series, 110 or 120s. Also, GPL 159-173 are great machines if you can get them at a good price.