11 replies to this topic

#1 mrnapolean1

mrnapolean1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

I have aquired a Cavalier C8-392. It was manufactured in 03-1990.

It works but it does not cool. The guy I got it from said the compressor may be bad. What refrigration decks will fit in this machine?

(I cannot seem to find one in the internet)

EDIT: Here is a picture of the machine. Its the black one on the right hand side. (Cold Drinks)

2013-10-18170641.jpg

The other is Royal RVCC804-9. Ill post a seperat thread on it.

EDIT2: Its thread can be found at the link: http://www.vendingch...?showtopic=3953

#2 AZVendor

AZVendor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

Only a Cavalier deck will fit it. The deck can be rebuilt so you don't have to find another deck for it.  Before you do that you need to start it up and find out what the deck does.  If you hear it click on and off without starting, then the compressor is bad.  If the compressor does start and run and the condensing fan and evaporator fans run, then you are low on freon and the deck needs to be recharged.  If you have a bad compressor and you don't have a source to rebuild the deck for you,  you can ship it to me for a rebuild.  If it's low on freon you can have someone come to the machine to recharge it.

#3 mrnapolean1

mrnapolean1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

Only a Cavalier deck will fit it. The deck can be rebuilt so you don't have to find another deck for it.  Before you do that you need to start it up and find out what the deck does.  If you hear it click on and off without starting, then the compressor is bad.  If the compressor does start and run and the condensing fan and evaporator fans run, then you are low on freon and the deck needs to be recharged.  If you have a bad compressor and you don't have a source to rebuild the deck for you,  you can ship it to me for a rebuild.  If it's low on freon you can have someone come to the machine to recharge it.

Can this deck be converted to R-134A?

#4 AZVendor

AZVendor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

Not if you are recharging an R12 compressor.  The only gas that can drop in on R12 is R401A, which is what I carry on my truck.  R401A can be dropped onto R12 and R134A.  If your compressor needs to be replaced, it will be replaced with either an R12 or R134A compressor, depending on the original compressor.  This is because each gas uses a different type of lubricating oil in the compressor and that oil has been spread throughout the system.  The oils can't be mixed with the wrong freon or early failure of the system will result.  So we use the same type of compressor as was first installed and if it was R12 we will put R401A gas in, and if it was originally R134A then we will put 134A gas in it.

#5 mrnapolean1

mrnapolean1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

Not if you are recharging an R12 compressor.  The only gas that can drop in on R12 is R401A, which is what I carry on my truck.  R401A can be dropped onto R12 and R134A.  If your compressor needs to be replaced, it will be replaced with either an R12 or R134A compressor, depending on the original compressor.  This is because each gas uses a different type of lubricating oil in the compressor and that oil has been spread throughout the system.  The oils can't be mixed with the wrong freon or early failure of the system will result.  So we use the same type of compressor as was first installed and if it was R12 we will put R401A gas in, and if it was originally R134A then we will put 134A gas in it.

It is R-12 According to the labe inside the door.

2013-10-19161035.jpg

If I do end up replacing the compressor, Can I use the oil for R-134A and the Refrigerant itself?

#6 AZVendor

AZVendor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

You would need to cross over the model of compressor on the machine now to whatever you can get locally, but it must be an R12 compressor.  Again, you can't put 134A into the R12 compressor and you don't want to put an R134A compressor on your system because you already have the oil from the R12 all throughout your system.  You don't want to contaminate the system with a different oil.

#7 mrnapolean1

mrnapolean1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

You would need to cross over the model of compressor on the machine now to whatever you can get locally, but it must be an R12 compressor.  Again, you can't put 134A into the R12 compressor and you don't want to put an R134A compressor on your system because you already have the oil from the R12 all throughout your system.  You don't want to contaminate the system with a different oil.

Can I put Freeze 12 in it?

#8 AZVendor

AZVendor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

That is an automotive brand of R12 and I wouldn't recommend it for true refrigeration work.  It sounds like you want to recharge this yourself, but if you aren't a qualified and certified refrigeration technician I would advise you to find someone who is.  You don't want to break the law or damage your cooling systems because you don't know what you're doing.  This type of work must be done by someone with proper gauges, proper recovery and recharging equipment, a certified knowledge of how refrigeration works and how to service it and who will stand behind their work.  The wrong techniques can ruin a cooling system. 

#9 mrnapolean1

mrnapolean1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

That is an automotive brand of R12 and I wouldn't recommend it for true refrigeration work.  It sounds like you want to recharge this yourself, but if you aren't a qualified and certified refrigeration technician I would advise you to find someone who is.  You don't want to break the law or damage your cooling systems because you don't know what you're doing.  This type of work must be done by someone with proper gauges, proper recovery and recharging equipment, a certified knowledge of how refrigeration works and how to service it and who will stand behind their work.  The wrong techniques can ruin a cooling system. 

Ive done Auto A/C systems....

#10 AZVendor

AZVendor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Then as long as you use the proper gas with the specific compressor you should be okay.  A properly charged and operating soda cooling unit should run between 18 and 20 lbs on the low side.

#11 mrnapolean1

mrnapolean1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

Then as long as you use the proper gas with the specific compressor you should be okay.  A properly charged and operating soda cooling unit should run between 18 and 20 lbs on the low side.

If my deck does have to be rebuilt, Where do you live at and how much would it cost me? (I am planning on selling this one)

Or if it works better than my Dixie Narco SIII (which is war out) then I will swap it.

#12 AZVendor

AZVendor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:53 PM

I am located in Glendale, Arizona.  The charge to repair your deck if only low on freon is approximately $125 plus any associated shipping charges, pending any other issues found with the unit.  If you need a new compressor instead, the price would be approximately $335 depending on the model of your compressor.