Close
Photo
- - - - -

How Do I GET RID OF these dang vending machines?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 VendingHell

VendingHell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:40 AM

Hi guys. First post here. I once purchased a couple vending machines (countertop/mechanical snackcenter ones), and I just never got into it, and now I want to get rid of them. It seems like there isn't much of a market for countertop/mechanical non-electrical machines, but I don't want to be stuck with them.... and I'll throw 'em off a bridge before I let em go too cheap. So my question to you guys is... what should I be asking for them (about $100-$125-ish??), and who to / how to / where to -- sell em? I'm in a Boston suburb, and I've called all around to vending companies, and nobody seem to want them. Is my best bet just selling them outright to a location --- I mean instead of servicing them, etc... like sell em outright to a store, laundromat, youth/community center, etc. Any ideas? Anyone have any connections in Massachusetts? Thanks guys!

#2 zippar

zippar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

Throw them on ebay.

#3 bhunso

bhunso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:44 AM

try on craigslist....

#4 VendingHell

VendingHell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:07 AM

I know. I tried. Hopefully something will come through on Craigslist, because a local sale/pickup works best. To mail these to someone in another state would cost $50 a pop, and at this point, I'd be happy to get $100 a pop for the machines. I can't believe how incredibly unpopular vending machines are. You'd think there'd be someone in this forum who'd want em. But postage kills it. Are we allowed to post for sale ads here?

#5 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

I know. I tried. Hopefully something will come through on Craigslist, because a local sale/pickup works best. To mail these to someone in another state would cost $50 a pop, and at this point, I'd be happy to get $100 a pop for the machines. I can't believe how incredibly unpopular vending machines are. You'd think there'd be someone in this forum who'd want em. But postage kills it. Are we allowed to post for sale ads here?

It's not that vending machines are unpopular at all. In fact, I buy machines nearly every month or so - as many vendors do who are growing their businesses - not just in my locale, but vendors across the country buy machines all the time.

The reason you can't sell your machines is - by your own description - is that they are countertop mechanical units. In other words, they are turds. The cold truth is, no one who knows anything about vending will ever buy them. You will even have a hard time just giving them away for free. No one will want to sacrifice the floor space to house machines they know they will probably never ever use. I know I wouldn't. I wouldn't even walk across the street for machines like that.

No offense, but that's just the reality. Chalk it up as a learning experience like most of us have had to do over stuff like that. We all make mistakes. You'll have to find a way to minimize the loss.

#6 JBVending

JBVending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

You may try calling some honor box venders. Those machines would be a step up for them.

Good luck

JB

#7 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:33 PM

You may try calling some honor box venders. Those machines would be a step up for them.

Good luck

JB

Now there's an idea. I stumbled across an honor box vendor last week when I was on an appointment (Canteen is vacating and I am getting the account). The honor box is set up in the kitchen and the account is considering having it removed so as to help vending sales a little more. It is the first one I've run across in over 2 years. Not very common, but they are out there.

You probably have to know someone who might know of a few because I doubt very seriously if any can be found in any phonebooks.

#8 tedk

tedk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:40 AM

You may be shooting too high in your price. I recently sold the only one I had for $65.00 through a craigslist type ad. I tried for more but I was happy to get anything I could for it. I got it cheap with a small wall-mounted 3 column pop dispenser to put in a really small office for a friend of mine. Even for a friend it was more trouble than it was worth. Sorry, but you will just have to chalk this up to experience.

#9 VendingHell

VendingHell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys. I don't mind some straight talk like y'all gave me. That's exactly what I wanted. When I bought them, I had an idea of my own that I never followed up on. I actually went LOOKING for them, haha. No one sold me on the idea of my own route or anything. So there's no dissappontment of not acheiving the "vending dream" or anything.... just disappointed that I can't even get my money back or take a little loss. Okay so the consensus here and from calls I've made is that no dealer/vending person will ever buy 'em, so my only hope is to find a location myself,a nd work out a deal, or hope that a location, like a laundromat or something will buy it outright (and service it themselves). But that's one of those things where, if someone does end up buying it.... it probably won't be worth the work/time it takes to find a taker. Jeez, maybe I should sell em for scrap metal, huh guys? Haha, no one came up with that option yet! Thanks again.

#10 jblvending

jblvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys. I don't mind some straight talk like y'all gave me. That's exactly what I wanted. When I bought them, I had an idea of my own that I never followed up on. I actually went LOOKING for them, haha. No one sold me on the idea of my own route or anything. So there's no dissappontment of not acheiving the "vending dream" or anything.... just disappointed that I can't even get my money back or take a little loss. Okay so the consensus here and from calls I've made is that no dealer/vending person will ever buy 'em, so my only hope is to find a location myself,a nd work out a deal, or hope that a location, like a laundromat or something will buy it outright (and service it themselves). But that's one of those things where, if someone does end up buying it.... it probably won't be worth the work/time it takes to find a taker. Jeez, maybe I should sell em for scrap metal, huh guys? Haha, no one came up with that option yet! Thanks again.

Metal is at a all time high, I'd sell it for scrap.

#11 mrsar66

mrsar66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

Hey,
I say you keep trying to sell the machines on something like kijiji or crags list. A few months ago I sold a counter top snack machine that had one column not working and the machine was about 12 years old and a little rusty for $200 or $250 I can’t remember exactly. If you tell someone that knows nothing about vending that these little machines can make upwards of $2000 per year then you might get some bites.

#12 tedk

tedk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

Keep watching Craiglist and Kijiji and you will see someone looking for one eventually.
Selling it to someone in a laundromat is just cruel. They will get ripped off badly. Those machines are easy to steal from and a laundromat always has people who are bored while they are hanging around waiting for their washing. People with time on their hands will rob the guy blind.
Ted

#13 amusementtrader.com

amusementtrader.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

try a free ad on my site amusementtrader.com