2 replies to this topic

#1 HooseFoose

HooseFoose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:28 AM

I am just getting my vending business setup. When I called the State of TX to inquire about sales tax, they said that items sold from vending machines were required to be taxed at the following rates:

Water - 0% of the 8.25% rate
Snacks - 50% of the 8.25% rate
Sodas - 100% of the 8.25% rate

I argued that these were food items and should not be taxed. They said that nontaxable food items were things like groceries, but that "junk food" was taxable. I received a sales tax ID so that I can my inventory sales tax free, but I must include the sales tax in my prices and then send the state a check every quarter or every month.

What is everybody else doing about vending machine sales tax?

Please provide your input.

Sincerely,
HooseFoose

#2 clvending

clvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:04 AM

I am just getting my vending business setup. When I called the State of TX to inquire about sales tax, they said that items sold from vending machines were required to be taxed at the following rates:

I argued that these were food items and should not be taxed. They said that nontaxable food items were things like groceries, but that "junk food" was taxable. I received a sales tax ID so that I can my inventory sales tax free, but I must include the sales tax in my prices and then send the state a check every quarter or every month.

Sincerely,
HooseFoose

Each state has different tax laws regarding vending. In Colorado, some cities I am required to pay sales tax, some I am not. Of course I have to pay state tax. For me tax rates vary by city, it appears for you it is a bit more complicated. I would ask them if they consider healthy snacks "junk food."

Good Luck!!

Lee

#3 kevin

kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:04 PM

Sincerely,
HooseFoose

Im from texas and I believe those are a bit incorrect.

Soda 100%
candy 100%
chips 100%
pastry(fresh) 0%
crackers(under 50 cents 50%

I got that from the state info not local and we have been doing it that way for over 20 years given things have changed a bit over the years. Texas sales tax is a bit high though and the same rules apply in grocery stores because only non prepared food is exempt and snacks are ready to eat.