5 replies to this topic

#1 HooseFoose

HooseFoose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:26 AM

What has been your experience with price setting? I am told that prices in a vending machine should be 3-4X what you pay wholesale (like from Sam's). Many of my machines are in low income areas and I know that quite a few of my patrons eat many of their "meals" from a vending machine. What do you think of the following prices, based upon your experience?

Having a $5 bill validator helps...

12oz Soda (Coke, Mt.Dew, Dr.Pepper) - $1.00
Starbucks Frappuccino - $3.50
Monster Energy Drink - $3.00
Chips (Doritos, Cheetoes, ect) - $1.05
Candy (Snickers, M&M's, ect) - $1.10

Please contribute your experience with price setting (good and bad) so that we can get an idea of what seems to be working or not working.

Thank you for your comments!

Sincerely,

~HooseFoose~

:D

#2 xsquid

xsquid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:21 PM

Wow, some of those seem high to me, but I'm very new at this. I and my business partner drove around our area researching what other machines were asking for what size. This is a high-priced tourist area but I've never seen a 12-oz. soda vend for more than 75 cents. The Starbucks and Energy drinks could probably pass, though.

#3 scottgtt

scottgtt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

Your kidding yourself if you think you can get those prices. Any full service vending company will take you out and easily. In any area that is not touristy, you can get .60 and mabee .65 for 12 oz. cans. The food stuff is about 25-30 percent too high and the energy drinks and coffee drinks max out around 2.50 although a lot of places sell them for 2.00 even. I hope you get the locations, but don't price yourself out of the market.

#4 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

I agree. If the account sees those prices before you move your machines in, you're toast. And if you do manage to get in, they will literally flip out on you when they see those prices and you will either have to get back to the real world in a flash or you will be out of there.

#5 nomoneynomo

nomoneynomo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

What has been your experience with price setting? I am told that prices in a vending machine should be 3-4X what you pay wholesale (like from Sam's). Many of my machines are in low income areas and I know that quite a few of my patrons eat many of their "meals" from a vending machine. What do you think of the following prices, based upon your experience?

Having a $5 bill validator helps...

12oz Soda (Coke, Mt.Dew, Dr.Pepper) - $1.00
Starbucks Frappuccino - $3.50
Monster Energy Drink - $3.00
Chips (Doritos, Cheetoes, ect) - $1.05
Candy (Snickers, M&M's, ect) - $1.10

Please contribute your experience with price setting (good and bad) so that we can get an idea of what seems to be working or not working.

Thank you for your comments!

Sincerely,

~HooseFoose~

:D

You need to set your price at about twice the cost of the product. If the average price of a candy bar is costing you 42 cents then sell it for 85 cents. If you have to pay a commission then add to that price. I'm sure there are many people doing it different then that but this is how I get my prices.

#6 clvending

clvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:13 AM

Question to ask yourself ---- Would you pay those prices especially over a dollar for a candy bar?????

Lee