6 replies to this topic

#1 VendingWannabe

VendingWannabe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

Hi,

First of all I'd like to thank the people here who helped me alot to understand the business. You guys have been really helpful.

I am finally going to start with used drink machines and have a few questions.

1. How easy it is to replace the signs on the machines. Lets say i buy a coke machine and I wank to change the glass front and sides etc to a generic drinks logo or intructions on how to use the machine etc. Will it be like changing the ad paper inside or will it be like changing the whole door?

2. Which soda machine brands are more reliable? Most machines I see in the second hand market are Dixie Narco machines. Is it because people get rid of them more? or its just cuz they have more machines in the market. How do you compare Dixie with other brands like vendo or royal.

3. How old a drink machine should be if I want it to work for a few years without troubles? Are there any other question I should ask the seller?

Thanks again,

JK

#2 qualityvs

qualityvs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:57 PM

1. I have never personally changed the front of a machine. The company I use to work for tried to change the fronts in some juice machines they had. They tried several times to get the correct size fronts but never did and finally just gave up on it. I believe getting the correct size would be the hardest part, or it was in my past expierence.

2. Dixie Narco all the way here. They are my personal choice, meaning if I am going to buy a new are referb. machine I will get a Dixie Narco. I do have a few Vendos that I picked up cheap and, some USI machines. Not trying to knock Vendo or any other brand I just prefer Dixie Narco.

3. I wouldnt buy anything that looked old or out dated. Anything in the past 10 or so years should be ok I think. Its hard to have one just go bad on you. Everything in the machine is replaceable. I would check everything for proper operation and make sure there arent any strange noises from the refrigeration deck.

#3 snack dude

snack dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

Hi,

First of all I'd like to thank the people here who helped me alot to understand the business. You guys have been really helpful.

1. How easy it is to replace the signs on the machines. Lets say i buy a coke machine and I wank to change the glass front and sides etc to a generic drinks logo or intructions on how to use the machine etc. Will it be like changing the ad paper inside or will it be like changing the whole door?

2. Which soda machine brands are more reliable? Most machines I see in the second hand market are Dixie Narco machines. Is it because people get rid of them more? or its just cuz they have more machines in the market. How do you compare Dixie with other brands like vendo or royal.

3. How old a drink machine should be if I want it to work for a few years without troubles? Are there any other question I should ask the seller?

Thanks again,

JK

If it is a bubble front or has a plexiglass front you can buy plexiglass generic fronts. Vendors exchange, veii.com is a good place to check that out
As far as which is more reliable in my mind its a tie. You cant really go wrong with any of the brands you named above. I personally like the vendos (except for the glass fronts) I have a bunch of vendo V-Max live displays. I think they are easy to work on and if you change a column from cans to bottles you dont have to buy different shims like you do on a dixie narco. The reason you see more Dixie Narcos being for sell is because there are a bugillion of them out there. They have been around a loooooong time.
Soft drink machines are like refrigrators. Some last five years some lasts 25 years. I have a couple that were used when I bought them in some cases 7 or 8 years ago and they still rock on. Anything less than ten in my mind still has some good life left in it. But compressors can go at anytime so you just have to be prepared for that to happen.
The one question I would ask a seller is " What kind of enviroment did the machine spent most of its life in? Office or Factory. This in my opinion has alot to do with the longivity of the machine. Office or Break Room machines stay clean and new looking longer and there is less dust and crap in the air that get sucked into the coils of the compressor. It does not take long for a new machine to look like crap out in a factory or warehouse especialy if it is not temperture controlled like say on a loading dock.

Good Luck Hope i have helped

#4 marks_vending

marks_vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:VENDING

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hi,

Thanks again,

JK

To change a front can be expensive, as some are silk screened onto the front plexi glass so you can be looking at $250+ to replace front plexi glass. When it comes between Vendo or Dixie Narco, go for Dixie Narco. They are the easiest to work on and set up and service.
Example:
Vendo 511---Massive Manual to set prices and change depth settings and just way to much hassle.
I personally recommend a Royal or Dixie Narco. I love the Royals, because my favourite machine of all time that I have is a simple 8 selection Royal. The pricing is single price, so it is all done through the coin changer, no need to learn to program the thing like a Vendo or anything. Also to set the depths, you can manually turn each individual and line up the width of the white plastic parts on the front of the motor. NO TOOLS AND NO PROGRAMMING. I have a Vendo 511 and oh my god it's like learning anew language. The manual is like 40 some pages of trouble shooting and settings, way to much to learn in there. My bet is a Royal. Like I said, no tools, and for instructions I just printed it off on a piece of paper and clear taped it onto the machine. It is a joy and easy to work with

#5 marks_vending

marks_vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:VENDING

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

Hi,

Thanks again,

JK

To change a front can be expensive, as some are silk screened onto the front plexi glass so you can be looking at $250+ to replace front plexi glass. When it comes between Vendo or Dixie Narco, go for Dixie Narco. They are the easiest to work on and set up and service.
Example:
Vendo 511---Massive Manual to set prices and change depth settings and just way to much hassle.
I personally recommend a Royal or Dixie Narco. I love the Royals, because my favourite machine of all time that I have is a simple 8 selection Royal. The pricing is single price, so it is all done through the coin changer, no need to learn to program the thing like a Vendo or anything. Also to set the depths, you can manually turn each individual and line up the width of the white plastic parts on the front of the motor. NO TOOLS AND NO PROGRAMMING. I have a Vendo 511 and oh my god it's like learning anew language. The manual is like 40 some pages of trouble shooting and settings, way to much to learn in there. My bet is a Royal. Like I said, no tools, and for instructions I just printed it off on a piece of paper and clear taped it onto the machine. It is a joy and easy to work with

#6 MVSJOHN

MVSJOHN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:09 PM

Hi,

Thanks again,

JK

If you have Coke or Pepsi logo on the machine I'd leave it there because sales are better with name recognition,if you still want to change the front then go to nbs.com their fronts are cheaper than the others.You can get the phone number off their website to call them.Personally I prefer Dixie and Vendo.
John

#7 snack dude

snack dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

Example:

I can see where that whole being able to read the manual thing could be a problem for you!