• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chewey

chewey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

Thinking seriously about buying 4 machines from fresh o matic. Their prices seem steep, but they "hold your hand" through your buisness venture. I'm in the states, and see there are many, many machines. Is it worth it to have expensive coaching and support, or is it fairly straight forward when starting a vending buisness? This is for snacks and soda! Thanks

#2 snack dude

snack dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:50 AM

Thinking seriously about buying 4 machines from fresh o matic. Their prices seem steep, but they "hold your hand" through your buisness venture. I'm in the states, and see there are many, many machines. Is it worth it to have expensive coaching and support, or is it fairly straight forward when starting a vending buisness? This is for snacks and soda! Thanks

I am not familiar with fresh o matic but this sounds like a Biz OP to me. I would research the hell out of this before you put any money down. Alot of these are scams. You will over pay for a bad machine and they will put you in any location they can find and you be left with something you cannot get your money out of. Do not trust the refrences they give you. Alot of these type scams pay the refrence a fee to give them good reviews or they are related. Do not fall for "these are going fast"! Caution is the word here and if it dont feel right it isnt right.

Good Luck

#3 chewey

chewey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

Definitely food for thought. I will do a lot of research before committing. From what I've been reading, you can start in vending with a relatively small investment. I hope someone has heard of my first question and give me input. Also, any good books or programs for knowledge? I appreciate the help!

#4 marks_vending

marks_vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:VENDING

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:54 AM

They are in an office/call center, so they can't "hold your hand" if something breaks on a machine. They call around "your area" to see who is willing to take a vending machine, any size. Also the refrences of many of these types are usually bogus. I went through one thing like that, and when I asked for refrences, the company I was dealing with said "sir we can't give out names, because that would be harrasment of our customers". This company wanted $5,000 down with out even getting a refrence.....that was the icing on the cake that had scam written all over it. Buy yourself a vending machine, go online for a manual, and play around with the machine, vending is a true "learn as you go" process

#5 marks_vending

marks_vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:56 AM

Say "no" to coaching and support, as vending is a "learn as you go" process. Only yourself will be able to determine when to service the machines....you do that by regularly checking back. Only you will know what products to put in the machine, you ask the manager/owner what himself or his employees would like. I personally leave a notepad on the side of the machine, and anytime someone has a request, I take out a non selling item for one that has been requested.

#6 djpvending

djpvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

chewey heres my .02 worth....... i have been in this business since 1972.....operated until 2000, and now own a distribution service center since.

I average at least one person every 6 weeks that walks in the door who has had "there hand held" and are in debt up to their knees......

suggestion: i dont know where you are located, but I would guess that within a 4 hour drive of you is a distributor/service center , an actual "brick and mortar" operation that will consult with you about the vending business, whether you buy anything or not. A true distributor/consultant has the intent of making sure you are profitable, and become a very, long term customer...they will not hesitate to give you references and in most cases, like here, will help yu learn how to do your own locating, from cold call, thru proposal, to implementation. AND MOST IMPORTANT...with a profitable return on your investment....if you grow and they grow....

The internet is a great thing, and a very dangerous thing....get yourself face to face with someone thats in the business!

#7 chewey

chewey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

Thanks all for the input. I am going to follow some of the advice given and try to make an intelligent decision. I even got ahold of the federal trade commission and looked up info on biz ops. I guess the main word to all this is "caution". I hope that vending will turn out to be a good small buisness, with a little education.

#8 snack dude

snack dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:46 PM

Thanks all for the input. I am going to follow some of the advice given and try to make an intelligent decision. I even got ahold of the federal trade commission and looked up info on biz ops. I guess the main word to all this is "caution". I hope that vending will turn out to be a good small buisness, with a little education.

Chewey
We are not trying to scare you. Vending is a great buisness. I have been doing it full time for eight years. You just have to be carefull. There are alot and I mean ALOT of people out here who want to believe the sales guy when he tells them you set the machine anywhere and watch the profits roll in and go play golf.
I believe the best way to get in the buisness is to buy a small existing route from a local person you can meet and see and touch what they have, not a pie in the sky 888 number that was in the sunday paper.
I bought a six location route ten years ago as something to have on the side. It was perfect because the places the machines were in were small and pretty forgiving when the machines broke or I could not get there to fill them because of my full time job. They gave me a chance to get my feet wet to learn how to fix things and how they worked or didnt. Because the places were small and the machines were in some cases very used I did not have to risk alot of money paying for new machines to sit in my garage.
Vending is like anything else worth doing. You gotta work it. There is no pie in the sky.

Good Luck

Snack Dude

#9 chewey

chewey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for more info. What would be the best way of finding routes for sale?

#10 marks_vending

marks_vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for more info. What would be the best way of finding routes for sale?

Place a free ad on your local kijiji website looking for vending machines on location. That is how I first got started in the business.

#11 chewey

chewey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:55 AM

Thanks, I will give it a try!

#12 Rudy

Rudy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:08 PM

I have used Fresh-O-Matic and they are a HORRIBLE company to use! They charge a ton of money for there machines and they promise to find you locations but never come through!!!!! I would go out and look at all the different machines and chose the one you like, then do the research to see who has the machine for the cheapest. I have learn that the vending machine companies and locators are very corrupt so you have to watch what you do!
Fresh-O-matic is GARBAGE!!!!! Trust me!!!

#13 marks_vending

marks_vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

Go to google and type in "fresh o matic scam" and WOW look at all the results from people all over. Many are posted on ripoffreport.com.