Coldwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hello.

I’m really hoping someone can help me.

My machine isn’t getting cold.

Both fans work, and I’ve checked the suction though the evaporator with a tissue, it holds firmly.

The ice build up is on the upper left corner of the evaporator on the large and smaller copper tube. It does not spread accross the evaporator.

I’ve connected the compressor directly to the wall instead of the T-stat and get the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.

I took a picture but don't know of a way to upload an attachment.

#2 AZVendor

AZVendor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

Based on where you say the ice is forming you either have a Vendo or a Royal soda machine.  It sounds like you are low on freon and your unit needs to be recharged.  You will have to call a vending refrigeration tech to recharge your unit.  You might be able to get a small appliance repairman to do it as well.  If you have no one in your area to do this you can send the unit to me for repair, but it would be difficult to box up and pricey to ship, so hopefully you can find a vending repairman there.

#3 Coldwin

Coldwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

Based on where you say the ice is forming you either have a Vendo or a Royal soda machine.  It sounds like you are low on freon and your unit needs to be recharged.  You will have to call a vending refrigeration tech to recharge your unit.  You might be able to get a small appliance repairman to do it as well.  If you have no one in your area to do this you can send the unit to me for repair, but it would be difficult to box up and pricey to ship, so hopefully you can find a vending repairman there.

Thanks for the quick response!

I know a small applaince guy and he sai'd he'd be happy to look at it but hasn't done vending before. Do you know where I can find the PSI, OZ or weight of the coolant for him?

#4 AZVendor

AZVendor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

If you are only recharging the unit then you won't need the weight of the freon.  The system will only need to have a line tap put on if it doesn't already have a Schrader valve or tap and then the low side pressure can be read.  With the door closed, connect the low side gauge to the tap and start the unit.  Give it a few minutes and the pressure should be approaching 18 - 20 lbs on the low side if it's properly charged.  You will probably see something very low like 5 lbs down to a vacuum.  This is typical when low on freon. 

The gas to recharge with depends on what's in it now.  If there was no Schrader valve or line tap on it before and only a crimped and brazed fill tube then this still has the factory charge in it.  You can find the type of gas on the label riveted to the compressor base.  If the unit has a tap or a Schrader valve on it already, then someone has either replaced the compressor or recharged it in the past and you will have to look for a aftermarket paper label or writing on the unit as to the type of gas in it. 

When adding the gas, short shots are best so you don't end up going over the proper low side pressure.  The target on a properly operating and charged condensing unit is a steady low side pressure of 18 - 20 lbs.  The tech should be able to tell if there is pressure bounce due to bad valves or, if no matter how much gas he adds, the low side won't go high enough which also means bad valves.  Bad valves would mean you need a new compressor, but don't worry too much, yours will probably be fine.

If you don't know what gas is in it then you could recharge it with R401A as I do, commonly known as MP39, which is a hybrid gas that can be dropped onto R12 or R134A or used alone as the sole gas in these units.  I only use MP39 in my service calls because I can use it over the top of either factory gas.  If I'm doing a bench repair or compressor replacement then I go with the factory gas and weigh it in for the recharge.  This way I only have to carry one can of freon on my truck.  Hopefully your tech understands all of this so he can take care of this for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cooling, Ice build up