10 replies to this topic

#1 Werew

Werew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

Hi,
I've got a friend that owns his own Pepsi machine. I has been left unplugged since the compressor stopped working years ago. It's the sort of machine that has a screw-in locking mechanism. I can get it unscrewed (I can feel the threads spinning on the top of the hole), but then I can't get the door open. I've tried hammering it open, and there's a little slack, but there's definitely something still latching the door. Any ideas? I'll try to get model numbers and post them soon (meant to do that this morning and forgot.) Thanks for any input you can offer me. I'm stumped.

#2 H4UV

H4UV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

Unless there is a padlock or extra metal latch on the side near the buttons, your problem is probably not on the outside of the machine. It shouldn't be that hard to open anyway. I have seen soda machine doors get kind of stuck, or were a tight fit to begin with and as they set over time, they got stuck more. Is it up against any walls, or is there anything jammed on the hinge side of the door on the outside?

#3 Werew

Werew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

No padlock or extra latch. I'd've noticed that, but I'll check again. It's not up against any walls. The machine is outside, but the problem isn't a clearance issue or an issue with the hinges. The hinges and handle have been sprayed with PB Blaster. It actually swings easy for less than an inch and then there's a hard stop so something is still latched on the inside. I can tell by feeling the top and bottom of the door that it's something in the middle near the handle that's holding it. I was hoping you gurus could offer me and easy solution. Is there a method less destructive than the others for breaking into these machines? My buddy wants his quarters. I'll get the model number tomorrow, but it looks like it's from the generation the machines started to take dollars (this one doesn't). Thanks again.

#4 H4UV

H4UV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

I'm not sure how it could be locked from the inside, although I guess it is possible. Whoever locked it would have had to have enough space to reach in to unlock it again. There might be a piece of bent metal on the top or bottom, otherwise, it is probably something hung up in the machine itself. If you could post a picture, that would help. I would use a crowbar when prying it open. Stick it into the door near the screw latch and pull outward. There really is no easy opening of a locked machine, especially soda that I know of.

#5 JBVending

JBVending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

The T-handle maybe slipping on the screw-locking assembly. Try pulling out on handle while turning counter clockwise and pull out on door some to take pressure off screw.

JB

#6 cvending

cvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

If the t-handle has been fully threaeded out of the lock-nut, the inner door might be opening and catching the sidewall of the machine. Try to see if you can keep the inner door tight to the outer door and try to open again.

#7 Werew

Werew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

The machine is a V407 made by Vendo. The model number is OIC 3928 BA. I don't have a picture, but the machine look just like this (http://www.vendingdi...47VENDO 407.pdf) except sunfaded with a few twigs on top. I've found the manual here (http://www.vendoco.c... Vend_WHOLE.pdf).

Sorry I didn't get the data as soon as I said I would. Lent my truck to my little sister, it was raining all day, and I didn't want to go for a motorcycle ride as my raincoat is missing. (Excuses, excuses, right?)

H4UV, it wasn't locked from the inside (I've talked with the last guy that opened it) and there are no extra latches. I can't get it open far enough to get a crack between the lip around the door and the machine, or I'd've tried a crowbar already. I can probably bend the lip back, though. I'm thinking something in the machine might've come loose and jammed in the door and the machine. Something is loose enough for a couple of sodas to have rolled out when I rocked it. The guy says everything worked it except the compressor last he checked, so I'll try getting power out to it, plugging it back in, putting a few quarters in it, and seeing if it'll operate/unstick itself. Don't have high hopes for that.

JBVending, at first I thought that might be the problem, but I've tried that already. And it's got that distinct bolt-turning-on-top-of-nut feel where if I push the door against the machine, I feel it come out ever so slightly then pop back in once every CCW rotation of the handle. Not only that, but it tightens back up nicely when the handle is turned CW, so I doubt that's the problem at this point.

cvending, if the inner door's loose, how do I hold it against the outer door?

I'll try operating it to see if it comes loose then I'll check back here once more. If that doesn't work, it gets the crowbar. Thanks again for the input guys.

#8 H4UV

H4UV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

Looks like you'll just have to do some bending a prying. Sorry there was no easier solution. The only way that you could hold the inner door closed and open the main one at the same time, is have at least an inch of space in between the main door and machine so that you could stick something in there and reach it. Doesn't sound like you can do that though. Can't think of a lot else that might be stuck in there, unless a machine that old has parts in it I don't know about.

#9 MVSJOHN

MVSJOHN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

The machine is a V407 made by Vendo. The model number is OIC 3928 BA. I don't have a picture, but the machine look just like this (http://www.vendingdi...47VENDO 407.pdf) except sunfaded with a few twigs on top. I've found the manual here (http://www.vendoco.c... Vend_WHOLE.pdf).

Sorry I didn't get the data as soon as I said I would. Lent my truck to my little sister, it was raining all day, and I didn't want to go for a motorcycle ride as my raincoat is missing. (Excuses, excuses, right?)

H4UV, it wasn't locked from the inside (I've talked with the last guy that opened it) and there are no extra latches. I can't get it open far enough to get a crack between the lip around the door and the machine, or I'd've tried a crowbar already. I can probably bend the lip back, though. I'm thinking something in the machine might've come loose and jammed in the door and the machine. Something is loose enough for a couple of sodas to have rolled out when I rocked it. The guy says everything worked it except the compressor last he checked, so I'll try getting power out to it, plugging it back in, putting a few quarters in it, and seeing if it'll operate/unstick itself. Don't have high hopes for that.

JBVending, at first I thought that might be the problem, but I've tried that already. And it's got that distinct bolt-turning-on-top-of-nut feel where if I push the door against the machine, I feel it come out ever so slightly then pop back in once every CCW rotation of the handle. Not only that, but it tightens back up nicely when the handle is turned CW, so I doubt that's the problem at this point.

cvending, if the inner door's loose, how do I hold it against the outer door?

I'll try operating it to see if it comes loose then I'll check back here once more. If that doesn't work, it gets the crowbar. Thanks again for the input guys.

Up at the corner opposite the hinge there should be a crack where the top and side flanges are you should be able to stick a screwdriver in to get the inner door out enough to clear the side of the machine to open the door.There is usually a burst open latch to hold the 2 doors together.Hope this makes sense to you,because I have a Vendo that used to do the same thing until I replaced the latch.
John

#10 vend1ng

vend1ng

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:55 PM

Up at the corner opposite the hinge there should be a crack where the top and side flanges are you should be able to stick a screwdriver in to get the inner door out enough to clear the side of the machine to open the door.There is usually a burst open latch to hold the 2 doors together.Hope this makes sense to you,because I have a Vendo that used to do the same thing until I replaced the latch.
John

It doesn't sound like the machine is not opening far enough for the inner door to get stuck. But possible, Does the t-handle turn easy? Like its stripped? Try pulling out on door while turning t-handle. If cage nut came loose or broke the cage it can turn with the t-bolt so try pulling hard on door while turning t-handle. If the notches in the t-handle are stripped you will feel a give and take feeling pulling on door will usually help that. Last, There is a roller on the bottom right hand corner of the door that is used to lift and support the door if it comes loose or the shaft comes out it can jam the door. You have to get down on hands a knees to see it. Just a thought.
Vend1ng

#11 the_avender

the_avender

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hi,
I've got a friend that owns his own Pepsi machine. I has been left unplugged since the compressor stopped working years ago. It's the sort of machine that has a screw-in locking mechanism. I can get it unscrewed (I can feel the threads spinning on the top of the hole), but then I can't get the door open. I've tried hammering it open, and there's a little slack, but there's definitely something still latching the door. Any ideas? I'll try to get model numbers and post them soon (meant to do that this morning and forgot.) Thanks for any input you can offer me. I'm stumped.

I don't know why no one has mentioned this already, but it might be that the inner door is stuck and won't let the outer door come out. That happens to me every so often, and all I do to get the door open is to grab hold of the delivery chute door (the little door that pops open when the soda falls into the delivery bay) and pull hard (of course after spinning the T-lock all the way out).