• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fcastle

fcastle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

First off, I forgot to grab the make and model of this soda vending machine, but it is about a 15 year old soda machine with 4 double stack columns and 4 single stack. I recently filled the machine and everything was working fine. Soon enough, someone tells me that the machine is not accepting coins. The coin mech that is currently in the unit is a Mars TRC-6800. No matter what I did, the mech would not accept any coins, even after re-tuning and resetting the machine.

I finally took the coin mech to another vending machine I had and plugged it in - it worked so I knew the problem was not the coin mech. I found another coin mech (a coinco something) that also had the 9pin Jones plug and confirmed it was working in the second machine. Neither of these coin mechs would accept any coins when plugged into the original machine.

Here is the interesting part. I unplugged the relay (Essex 93-201666-23200A 120V 50/60hz 11-pin) and plugged it back in (I am talking about a clear plastic box above where the Jones plug goes in). The "exact change" light comes on and stays lit. I put in 50 cents (which is the vend price) and the coin mech accepts the coins, but will not vend. After that first acceptance of 50 cents, I am back to the coin mech accepting no coins. This same thing happened multiple times with both coin mechs.

Thoughts? This is so frustrating since it was working and all of a sudden it will not take coins.

Also, I brought the relay home to see how much a replacement is in case that is the problem, and I cannot even find a replacement on the web. I have found other square 11-pin relays, but the pin configuration is slightly different. It also says: CONTACT RATING 5A 125V 60HZ 3A 250V 60HZ

#2 Technivend

Technivend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:29 AM

The reason you are not able to accept coins is that once the vend price is met, the relay will energize and disable the acceptance circuit of the coin mech (no sense taking more money then needed). The vend relay will reset only after a vend is completed and there is a signal from a motor to reset it(you simulated the relay action by unplugging it). While it may be the relay I would look elsewhere first. To me it sounds as if you have a jammed column more then anything else. So lets check that first.

First check to see if there are any "sold out" lamps lit on a column that is full. If so that is the column you want to look at. If there are no s/o lamps lit then you will need to look at the motors and cams. Make sure they all look the same. If one is different then the others then start emptying that column and unjam the cans.

There are a lot of what ifs when it comes to not accepting. I would suggest trying this first and letting us know if it didn't work and then we can go on to something different.

#3 fcastle

fcastle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

Thank you for the reply. It is funny you mention that suggestion because I had actually thought that myself. I reached into where the sodas vend and felt the bottom of every column but did not feel any obvious jams. I did not want to empty the whole machine but I just may have to in order to make sure. I will check this and the motor positions and update. Thanks again.

#4 JBVending

JBVending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

You may want to vend each selection by pressing motor sw lever in,(the one sitting in cam valley) and vend each selection. Some switches maybe pitted on the contacts and the motors are hooked in series as is the selection switches...Ohm meter would be great help in checking them...com on 1st sw. to n.c. on last sw should have a reading if all are in standby position.

JB

#5 Putz

Putz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

Do you have a bill validator on this machine if both aren't communicating and working properly coin mech will not work.Try different validator

#6 Technivend

Technivend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

Do you have a bill validator on this machine if both aren't communicating and working properly coin mech will not work.Try different validator

In a single price machine it is doubtful that it would be in the validator but anything is possible. It is easily disconnected from the machine though so swapping it out isn't necessary.

#7 fcastle

fcastle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

Nope, no bill validator. I will be heading to the machine tomorrow and will update my efforts to (hopefully) locate a jam.

#8 Vending Chat

Vending Chat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:34 AM

Video lessons how to treat standard vending machine coin mech