• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rowan

Rowan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:37 AM

I’m looking for a machine that will securely store up to about 400 individual sets of keys (e.g. a small key ring with one to three keys on it), and will dispense any one of these sets of keys on command from our computer system. Do you know of a vending machine or a vending mechanism that would do this? Or any companies that might manufacture such a mechanism? Since every key is different, the system must be able to release the keys in any order. I envisage that the machine might have a set of bins which could be rotated or moved in some way so the selected bin was over a trap-door which could then be opened to drop the required set of keys into a collection tray. I'm sure something like this must exist somewhere in the vending industry!

Many thanks - Rowan

#2 cwdist

cwdist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

I’m looking for a machine that will securely store up to about 400 individual sets of keys (e.g. a small key ring with one to three keys on it), and will dispense any one of these sets of keys on command from our computer system. Do you know of a vending machine or a vending mechanism that would do this? Or any companies that might manufacture such a mechanism? Since every key is different, the system must be able to release the keys in any order. I envisage that the machine might have a set of bins which could be rotated or moved in some way so the selected bin was over a trap-door which could then be opened to drop the required set of keys into a collection tray. I'm sure something like this must exist somewhere in the vending industry!

Many thanks - Rowan

I have seen something similar at car lots. You can google "key security" or some similar term.

The one I have seen is KeyTrac

Another one I found online is Morse Watchman

I'm curious about what exact application you will be using this for.

#3 Rowan

Rowan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

The one I have seen is KeyTrac
Another one I found online is Morse Watchman

Thanks for your reply. I had actually found both of these by googling, but they seem to rely on what looks like an expensive "smart tag" that's attached to the key ring. This would be fine in some circumstances, but in our case it would rely on members of the general public removing the tag from the keyring and dropping it in a box out of the goodness of their hearts, which means that we'll lose most of them. It could be OK if the tags were cheap enough to be disposable.
Really I think the only solution is to have the keys stored inside a locked cabinet of some sort, in a series of compartments or bins, or on hooks, from which they can be released automatically in any order and dropped into a chute. I'm sure something like this must exist somewhere - I just wish I could find it!

I'm curious about what exact application you will be using this for.

I can't say too much about this. If you want to explore more, please send me a private e-mail (rowan dot bradley at selfservicekiosks dot co dot uk).
Rowan