• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GeeGee

GeeGee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:21 AM

Newbie here, looking for a manual or someone who knows why my Antares FMR7 keeps freezing over in the top section and back wall of the soda machine. (no problems w/the bottom section) Manf. date of 2000, runs VERY cold, maybe that is my problem?

I bought this on ebay, local pickup, and have had pretty good luck with it except for the defrosting every week. The soda's get stuck and won't go down the chute. There are three round holes cut through the door of the soda side that I guess help keep the snack side cooler. I don't know if these were and aftermarket mod., so yesterday I put Gorilla tape over them, thinking maybe they are causing too much humidity to get in. Did I mention I am in HUMID Florida?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Teddie

#2 coinvestor

coinvestor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:08 AM

Newbie here, looking for a manual or someone who knows why my Antares FMR7 keeps freezing over in the top section and back wall of the soda machine. (no problems w/the bottom section) Manf. date of 2000, runs VERY cold, maybe that is my problem?

I bought this on ebay, local pickup, and have had pretty good luck with it except for the defrosting every week. The soda's get stuck and won't go down the chute. There are three round holes cut through the door of the soda side that I guess help keep the snack side cooler. I don't know if these were and aftermarket mod., so yesterday I put Gorilla tape over them, thinking maybe they are causing too much humidity to get in. Did I mention I am in HUMID Florida?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Teddie

Teddie,
I assume that ice is building up and not just a frost?

Either your system is getting low on freon or your system is just working too hard (probably the later or a combination of the two). As far as I know none of the Anteras machines are built with refrigerated snack machines, so this is most likely a modification. Make sure that the thermostat is not set on the coldest setting (it most likley is if they were trying to cool snacks). Tape will do good to cover the holes, but they need to be insulated. Maybe cut a plug of foam to put behind the tape or get a can of great stuff from lowes and give it a squirt of that.

FYI..... I ussually pay $60-80 to have someone come out and add freon to a machine depending on how much it takes.

JD

#3 GeeGee

GeeGee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:06 AM

Teddie,
I assume that ice is building up and not just a frost?

Either your system is getting low on freon or your system is just working too hard (probably the later or a combination of the two). As far as I know none of the Anteras machines are built with refrigerated snack machines, so this is most likely a modification. Make sure that the thermostat is not set on the coldest setting (it most likley is if they were trying to cool snacks). Tape will do good to cover the holes, but they need to be insulated. Maybe cut a plug of foam to put behind the tape or get a can of great stuff from lowes and give it a squirt of that.

FYI..... I ussually pay $60-80 to have someone come out and add freon to a machine depending on how much it takes.

JD

JD-
Oh yeah, big blocks of ice. Took me a couple of hours to get it all out. (Is there an easy way to get to the back of the machine or are the soda holders permanently attached?)

I bet it is a combo problem. I had Eric suggest a few things, and I have tried those. i.e. seal and leveling issues. Do I just assume that I need freon or is there a way to tell? The soda compartment is really cold, so I don't know if that means any thing! I'm pretty handy for a girl, but that motor compartment is way over my head! lol.
Thanks for responding!
Teddie

#4 coinvestor

coinvestor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:35 PM

JD-
Oh yeah, big blocks of ice. Took me a couple of hours to get it all out. (Is there an easy way to get to the back of the machine or are the soda holders permanently attached?)

I bet it is a combo problem. I had Eric suggest a few things, and I have tried those. i.e. seal and leveling issues. Do I just assume that I need freon or is there a way to tell? The soda compartment is really cold, so I don't know if that means any thing! I'm pretty handy for a girl, but that motor compartment is way over my head! lol.
Thanks for responding!
Teddie

Ice or frost is normal. The system will start to frost over when its running. After the cycle and the system kicks off the frost should thaw and melt into the drip pan. If your system never stops running then the ice never thaws and continues to get thicker until you get big blocks of ice. Did you check your thermostat setting? It should be in the lower backside of the machine. If it is set to the coldest setting then this could cause the system to not kick off.

If the thermostat is at a moderate setting, all of the holes in the cooled part of the machine are plugged, the machine cools okay, but ice still builds up you need the system charged with freon.

Hope this helps

JD

#5 The Vending Guys

The Vending Guys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:20 PM

I have been having that similar problem with my Antares. I will never get another one. They are the worst made machines ever. No offense to you. Just talking about my experience. I have the same problem and it supposivley had a bad compressor. Where do you get new compressor for these machines? I have no idea. I even had another vending company who has way more experience than I do to try to get me one and they have had no luck. Please let me know if you find one or no where to get one. Thanks and good luck!