10 replies to this topic

#1 mrnapolean1

mrnapolean1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Got a Dixie Narco Pepsi mancine that is R-12.
The compressor is bad and I want to replace it and charge it with R-134A.

I want to take a compressor from a used refrigerator from Craigslist or Classifieds and use its compressor. If it uses R-12, I need to drain the Oil from the compressor but what Oil would I use for R-134A?

Would I use PAG or is there a certain kind I have to use for Refrigerators?

#2 bucketheadben

bucketheadben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

I think PAG is used in automotive applications. POE oil is used in refrigeration when referring to 134a. R12 uses mineral oil.
Have you priced a new/ refurbished refrigeration deck for your machine?

#3 vend1ng

vend1ng

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Got a Dixie Narco Pepsi mancine that is R-12.
The compressor is bad and I want to replace it and charge it with R-134A.

I want to take a compressor from a used refrigerator from Craigslist or Classifieds and use its compressor. If it uses R-12, I need to drain the Oil from the compressor but what Oil would I use for R-134A?

Would I use PAG or is there a certain kind I have to use for Refrigerators?

A residential refrigerator compressor will probably not work, A R-12 compressor switch to R-134 will probably not work well either. Refrigerator doesn't have the BTUs and the r-12 system has a different cap tube size than a r-134 system. Refrigerator compressor is usually static cooled and won't last as air cooled. etc. etc. etc. etc. Just my thoughts.
Vend1ng

#4 Steve Pixley

Steve Pixley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:17 AM

I made a research on it and look what I found, may be you all are aware about this but still it is very useful info:

One of the differences between R-134a and R-12 is the boiling points. Pure R-12 will boil at -22 degrees Fahrenheit while R-134a boils at -16 degrees Fahrenheit. If we hooked up a gauge to a bottle of R-12 refrigerant which contains liquid, we would have about 117 PSI at 100 degrees F. The pressure of reading of R-134a at that same temperature would be about 124 PSI. For this simple fact, R134a gauge readings will be a little different as compared to R12. While the overall temperature curve is different and the critical temperature is lower, during most operating conditions, you’ll find R-134a is a fairly close match to R12. R-134a is slightly less efficient and condensers will usually have to be upgraded to match the cooling performance of R12.

#5 mrnapolean1

mrnapolean1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

A residential refrigerator compressor will probably not work, A R-12 compressor switch to R-134 will probably not work well either. Refrigerator doesn't have the BTUs and the r-12 system has a different cap tube size than a r-134 system. Refrigerator compressor is usually static cooled and won't last as air cooled. etc. etc. etc. etc. Just my thoughts. Vend1ng

All of the refrigerators I have seen have a relative the same setup as the vending machine does.

#6 vend1ng

vend1ng

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

All of the refrigerators I have seen have a relative the same setup as the vending machine does.

Ok, Most refrigerators are 1/4 hp low temp med back pressure around 900-1500 btus. Almost all pop machines are 1/3hp med temp low back pressure 3200 btus. Just saying. You've got it figured out why ask us.
Vend1ng

#7 mrnapolean1

mrnapolean1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Ok, Most refrigerators are 1/4 hp low temp med back pressure around 900-1500 btus. Almost all pop machines are 1/3hp med temp low back pressure 3200 btus. Just saying. You've got it figured out why ask us.
Vend1ng

Because the machine I am working on I may have to replace the compressor. When plugged in, everything will start up but the compressor will not. It sits there and clicks like it wants to start. I was just wondering if I could take one from a refrigerator and put in this vending machine.

#8 vend1ng

vend1ng

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

Because the machine I am working on I may have to replace the compressor. When plugged in, everything will start up but the compressor will not. It sits there and clicks like it wants to start. I was just wondering if I could take one from a refrigerator and put in this vending machine.

I've been trying to explain that. NO! you can not. 1. Even though you might find one that is adaptable I don't think you have the knowledge to determine that. 2. Since you are wanting to convert to R-134 is because you can buy it in small cans and are not licensed to buy Fr-12.
The clicking in your compressor is its either locked up or the thermal is burned out. The thermal is a round black plastic device mounted on the side of the compressor about the size of a quarter take it out look inside it if the metal contacts are burned up you might be in luck. If you have a start capacitor mounted on the top of your connection box it could be bad. The start relay could also be bad but rare. The easiest way to determine if the compressor is bad is get a 3 in 1 hard start kit from your local supplier hook it up if compressor still clicks its bad. Most bottling companies have a refer deck exchange program i.e.(pepsi, coke). Take your refer deck to your supplier and they will sell you a rebuilt or used deck. If that doesn't work I can fix you up with something depending how you want to go from about 275.00- 500.00. Just a thought.
Vend1ng

#9 mrnapolean1

mrnapolean1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

I've been trying to explain that. NO! you can not. 1. Even though you might find one that is adaptable I don't think you have the knowledge to determine that. 2. Since you are wanting to convert to R-134 is because you can buy it in small cans and are not licensed to buy Fr-12.
The clicking in your compressor is its either locked up or the thermal is burned out. The thermal is a round black plastic device mounted on the side of the compressor about the size of a quarter take it out look inside it if the metal contacts are burned up you might be in luck. If you have a start capacitor mounted on the top of your connection box it could be bad. The start relay could also be bad but rare. The easiest way to determine if the compressor is bad is get a 3 in 1 hard start kit from your local supplier hook it up if compressor still clicks its bad. Most bottling companies have a refer deck exchange program i.e.(pepsi, coke). Take your refer deck to your supplier and they will sell you a rebuilt or used deck. If that doesn't work I can fix you up with something depending how you want to go from about 275.00- 500.00. Just a thought.
Vend1ng

It already has R-134a in it. Someone installed a In-Line Tap to put R-134a in. Can you recommend me a supplier for the Hard Start kit?

#10 Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

It already has R-134a in it. Someone installed a In-Line Tap to put R-134a in. Can you recommend me a supplier for the Hard Start kit?

Most local appliance companies will have something off the shelf you can use.

#11 Steve Pixley

Steve Pixley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:27 AM

Lots of supplier are there in the market but I suggest you to look for a supplier in your locality. Tell me your location, may be I can help as I am associated with this business that is why i have some about it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: r12, r134a, oil, compressor