29 replies to this topic

#1 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

Well, I have dodged the coffee machine bullet for a year and a half now, but I may have just been hit with one. I have a prospect that I've been working on for the past year. It is a blue-collar location with 125 employees (all but about 5 are blue-collar), single-shift, and they are going to be adding 40 more employees sometime in the next 30-60 days. That's between 160 and 175 employees.

They are not happy with Canteen, but willing to have them take out their green debit card vending machines and start over. However, my contact there is not opposed to kicking them out altogether as she has done at the last place she worked.

I'm golden on all the equipment needs, but they have a coffee machine in there that probably doesn't do a whole lot, but I have verified that the Plant Manager requires it and it is non-negotiable. No coffee machine, no account.

The prices of new coffee machines are outrageous. I've checked with Wittern before the last price increase, and they were at $4,800. Out of the question. My Wittern rep is checking on some prices on some used coffee machines they have, but I'm not holding my breath for the price of the year.

I don't want a 20-year old machine, but I also don't want to pay more than $2000 for one. All the good deals on Ebay are pick-up only, and darn the luck, they're always located clear across the country.

Is there someplace else I should be checking, someplace reputable that may have some good used coffee machines?

Thanks y'all.

#2 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

I found this National 640 on CoffeeVendingWorld.com for $1195: http://www.coffeeven....com/coffee.htm

Shipping is under $300. Has anyone bought any machines from them, and will this machine do the job? If you click the link, this machine is on the very bottom row on the left.

#3 oldcity

oldcity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:45 PM

Well, I have dodged the coffee machine bullet for a year and a half now, but I may have just been hit with one. I have a prospect that I've been working on for the past year. It is a blue-collar location with 125 employees (all but about 5 are blue-collar), single-shift, and they are going to be adding 40 more employees sometime in the next 30-60 days. That's between 160 and 175 employees.

They are not happy with Canteen, but willing to have them take out their green debit card vending machines and start over. However, my contact there is not opposed to kicking them out altogether as she has done at the last place she worked.

I'm golden on all the equipment needs, but they have a coffee machine in there that probably doesn't do a whole lot, but I have verified that the Plant Manager requires it and it is non-negotiable. No coffee machine, no account.

The prices of new coffee machines are outrageous. I've checked with Wittern before the last price increase, and they were at $4,800. Out of the question. My Wittern rep is checking on some prices on some used coffee machines they have, but I'm not holding my breath for the price of the year.

I don't want a 20-year old machine, but I also don't want to pay more than $2000 for one. All the good deals on Ebay are pick-up only, and darn the luck, they're always located clear across the country.

Is there someplace else I should be checking, someplace reputable that may have some good used coffee machines?

Thanks y'all.

you could try "usedvending.com",look under coffee machines-i hope this would help you
jacob.

#4 jblvending

jblvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:58 PM

Thanks y'all.

I'd move on, if it's a deal breaker.The cost and time invested in this coffee machine will eat into any profits you make off of you drinks and snacks, do you really want to spent the money and time it will take to clean and service a coffee machine? Now if you would have said 500 people 24-7 and they offer no coffee pot, yes, by all means they need a coffee machine.

#5 kevin

kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:02 PM

I found this National 640 on CoffeeVendingWorld.com for $1195: http://www.coffeeven....com/coffee.htm

Shipping is under $300. Has anyone bought any machines from them, and will this machine do the job? If you click the link, this machine is on the very bottom row on the left.

I ahve a answer for you. use a single cup brewer like Flavia and vend the packages used for them out of your snack machine. It will take up at least 3-5 columns but it will save you a ton of money and downtime. Most large coffee machines have grinders and they tend to break alot. I have 5 coffee vendors and they are not a good solution. The flavia packets are perfect size for vending and are very good coffee.

edit: they cost about $200-300 for the flavia machines and they are no mess amchines you just throw the packages away. I have been wanting to order a few but my budget is tight this year. I have already spent over 25,000 for equipment and thats not including parts and the house me and my wife are building. If you get one and test them out be sure and post the results.

#6 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

I ahve a answer for you. use a single cup brewer like Flavia and vend the packages used for them out of your snack machine. It will take up at least 3-5 columns but it will save you a ton of money and downtime. Most large coffee machines have grinders and they tend to break alot. I have 5 coffee vendors and they are not a good solution. The flavia packets are perfect size for vending and are very good coffee.

edit: they cost about $200-300 for the flavia machines and they are no mess amchines you just throw the packages away. I have been wanting to order a few but my budget is tight this year. I have already spent over 25,000 for equipment and thats not including parts and the house me and my wife are building. If you get one and test them out be sure and post the results.

I checked out the Flavia site... the only concern I have is someone walking off with the machine, or breaking off the door you have to open to put your flavor packs in. I'll call them tomorrow and see if anyone is there who can tell me more about.

#7 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

I'd move on, if it's a deal breaker.The cost and time invested in this coffee machine will eat into any profits you make off of you drinks and snacks, do you really want to spent the money and time it will take to clean and service a coffee machine? Now if you would have said 500 people 24-7 and they offer no coffee pot, yes, by all means they need a coffee machine.

Can you be a little more descriptive with what's involved with the cleaning? Does the machine keep coffee brewed all the time, or does it brew only when someone buys something?

I would expect this account to generate between $600 - $700 per week in sales. Am I understanding you correctly that this amount of business is not worth providing a coffee machine?

#8 kevin

kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:36 PM

I checked out the Flavia site... the only concern I have is someone walking off with the machine, or breaking off the door you have to open to put your flavor packs in. I'll call them tomorrow and see if anyone is there who can tell me more about.

The machines are very durable from what I have seen. I have tasted the coffees at the nama show and they are very good. If they steal that machine charge the company.. I have had to do taht once before and I will do it again. If they cant watch their employees enough to walk off with my $300 coffee machines, and I have tons of them, then they will have to pay for the neglect. Otherwise I would go out of buisness.

#9 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

The machines are very durable from what I have seen. I have tasted the coffees at the nama show and they are very good. If they steal that machine charge the company.. I have had to do taht once before and I will do it again. If they cant watch their employees enough to walk off with my $300 coffee machines, and I have tons of them, then they will have to pay for the neglect. Otherwise I would go out of buisness.

That's a very good idea, Kevin. In this instance, I can see that a written agreement would be in order... that they know if someone steals it, they have to pay for it, and I want it in writing. I can also see how this would involve a lot less cleaning and servicing that a full-fledge coffee machine would require.

This account is being provided with some cheap coffee that is priced at $.25, and this is important to them. The cost on the flavor packs is $.43 for basic flavors. I'd have to charge at least $.75 per cup, to make any money using Flavia product. Do the Flavia filterpacks have a custom, proprietary fit that would prevent me from using a cheap filterpack? And, are there any cheap filterpacks out there to be had that I could offer for $.25 and still make a little bit?

(they still want the more expensive selections, but I have to have a $.25 option)

#10 kevin

kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:07 PM

That's a very good idea, Kevin. In this instance, I can see that a written agreement would be in order... that they know if someone steals it, they have to pay for it, and I want it in writing. I can also see how this would involve a lot less cleaning and servicing that a full-fledge coffee machine would require.

This account is being provided with some cheap coffee that is priced at $.25, and this is important to them. The cost on the flavor packs is $.43 for basic flavors. I'd have to charge at least $.75 per cup, to make any money using Flavia product. Do the Flavia filterpacks have a custom, proprietary fit that would prevent me from using a cheap filterpack? And, are there any cheap filterpacks out there to be had that I could offer for $.25 and still make a little bit?

(they still want the more expensive selections, but I have to have a $.25 option)

it is proprietary and you can find it cheaper from distributors I know there was one in our office the other day, not sure who, that offered it for 22 cents.

#11 jblvending

jblvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:43 PM

Can you be a little more descriptive with what's involved with the cleaning? Does the machine keep coffee brewed all the time, or does it brew only when someone buys something?

I would expect this account to generate between $600 - $700 per week in sales. Am I understanding you correctly that this amount of business is not worth providing a coffee machine?

I would say this account would do know more than 200 a week,and you have to clean the screens, hoses, shute, and empty the waste bucket out and clean with soap and water, if you don't , it will leave a foul odor.The 600 to 700 would be correct if you had 200 people and if it was a 24-7 account, now this is my opinion, I could be total wrong, I havent seen the account, but exerience tells me you want make any money on coffee there, and if you see any coffee pots around, you have just donated $2000.00 to the guy you bought that machine from, but if you feel it's worth it, by all means , go for it, I'm just offering advice is all.

#12 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

I would say this account would do know more than 200 a week,and you have to clean the screens, hoses, shute, and empty the waste bucket out and clean with soap and water, if you don't , it will leave a foul odor.The 600 to 700 would be correct if you had 200 people and if it was a 24-7 account, now this is my opinion, I could be total wrong, I havent seen the account, but exerience tells me you want make any money on coffee there, and if you see any coffee pots around, you have just donated $2000.00 to the guy you bought that machine from, but if you feel it's worth it, by all means , go for it, I'm just offering advice is all.

I'm just basing the dollar amount on that they have roughly 120 blue-collar workers and BCW usually spend $5 per week per person. I have an almost identical account 2 blocks away from them that does between $650 and $725 per week, and I have other blue-collar accounts that amazingly hit the $5 per person per week average. A couple do slightly better than that. If this account only did $200 per week, I'd probably get thrown out for not doing my job.

I think I found a decent machine for $1500 including shipping that uses coffee already ground (no grinder to go bad), but I need to confirm that. If this account holds true to the $5 average, do you think this type of coffee arrangement would be worth it?

(they've been providing office coffee to the office staff, but not to the plant workers)

#13 jblvending

jblvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:11 PM

I'm just basing the dollar amount on that they have roughly 120 blue-collar workers and BCW usually spend $5 per week per person. I have an almost identical account 2 blocks away from them that does between $650 and $725 per week, and I have other blue-collar accounts that amazingly hit the $5 per person per week average. A couple do slightly better than that. If this account only did $200 per week, I'd probably get thrown out for not doing my job.

I think I found a decent machine for $1500 including shipping that uses coffee already ground (no grinder to go bad), but I need to confirm that. If this account holds true to the $5 average, do you think this type of coffee arrangement would be worth it?

(they've been providing office coffee to the office staff, but not to the plant workers)

Again, I could be totally wrong, I'm not there, and I don't know your area, so if I'm off base, it wouldnt be the frist time, good luck in your new location.

#14 kevin

kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:24 PM

There is a place up the street with 400 emps that has 20 or 25 machines and I know for a fact taht it runs over 100,000 a year. I dont know how you guys get your figures somtimes but its more location and good equipment that make the sells. I have upgraded alot of my equipment over the years with retros and what not and have seen increases of $15-20 a week/machine because of better acceptance or visibility. I have a few accounts that run over 400 a week that only have 2 machines and only about 15 employees. They do so well because I take care of them and they refuse to go to a convient store now. Sometimes this dosnt work but in those cases I just pick up the machiens because the customers are usually arrogant or just well under educated in the value of a dollar. For instance I am getting ready to upgrade an Royal 804-9 standard to the new Coca cola high visibility model and a Vue 40. I plan to add jusices, V8, water, powerades, and energy drinks and if I do this I will get an extra 200 a week minimum becuase most of the people go to 7-11 for the variety. I have been wanting to do this for awhile and Im just waiting on the OK for a new location for the machines to fit.

#15 jblvending

jblvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:42 PM

There is a place up the street with 400 emps that has 20 or 25 machines and I know for a fact taht it runs over 100,000 a year. I dont know how you guys get your figures somtimes but its more location and good equipment that make the sells. I have upgraded alot of my equipment over the years with retros and what not and have seen increases of $15-20 a week/machine because of better acceptance or visibility. I have a few accounts that run over 400 a week that only have 2 machines and only about 15 employees. They do so well because I take care of them and they refuse to go to a convient store now. Sometimes this dosnt work but in those cases I just pick up the machiens because the customers are usually arrogant or just well under educated in the value of a dollar. For instance I am getting ready to upgrade an Royal 804-9 standard to the new Coca cola high visibility model and a Vue 40. I plan to add jusices, V8, water, powerades, and energy drinks and if I do this I will get an extra 200 a week minimum becuase most of the people go to 7-11 for the variety. I have been wanting to do this for awhile and Im just waiting on the OK for a new location for the machines to fit.

And your point is?I'm really going to have to call you out Kevin, I really don't believe about 95% of what you say on here, the customer is the reason any account does well, and I doubt that any account will do $400 a week with 15 people, calling your customers arrogant is being arrogant, I'd venture to say you seem to know machines, but you lack knowledge about customers and all I can figure is you work for your father and he owns it.

#16 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:46 PM

Hehehe... 400 employees x $5 = $2,000 per week x 52 weeks = $104,000 per year. The stats I use came from Wittern, and I'm sure assume the account is getting good service and new machines that work all the time.

#17 jblvending

jblvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

Hehehe... 400 employees x $5 = $2,000 per week x 52 weeks = $104,000 per year. The stats I use came from Wittern, and I'm sure assume the account is getting good service and new machines that work all the time.

BVI, you seem to have some creditabilty about you, when I come on here and offer advice, I do it from experience, not because I think I know it all, because I don't, but if I can save someone time and money, than I try too, I've made so many mistakes, spent and wasted so much money I could write a book, but I will never make anything up to build myself up, this site is about helping people, the bottom line is, if you think the account will do well and pay for any lost you incur from the coffee machine, than by all means, go for it, good luck.

#18 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:17 PM

BVI, you seem to have some creditabilty about you, when I come on here and offer advice, I do it from experience, not because I think I know it all, because I don't, but if I can save someone time and money, than I try too, I've made so many mistakes, spent and wasted so much money I could write a book, but I will never make anything up to build myself up, this site is about helping people, the bottom line is, if you think the account will do well and pay for any lost you incur from the coffee machine, than by all means, go for it, good luck.

Thanks man. I know that whenever you give advice it comes from past experience, and you have a lot of common sense to go with it. It's why I value any advice you offer because you have the experience that I don't. This forum has been a tremendous help to me over the past several months. A lot of times it gets scary because I've almost wiped out $20,000 in savings to pay my bills with while I've grown this business and I'm feeling the pressure from it. So I'm dead serious about doing my best to get it right. And like you, if I can help others along the way, then great. We all make costly mistakes we learn from.

#19 coinvestor

coinvestor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:37 AM

Thanks man. I know that whenever you give advice it comes from past experience, and you have a lot of common sense to go with it. It's why I value any advice you offer because you have the experience that I don't. This forum has been a tremendous help to me over the past several months. A lot of times it gets scary because I've almost wiped out $20,000 in savings to pay my bills with while I've grown this business and I'm feeling the pressure from it. So I'm dead serious about doing my best to get it right. And like you, if I can help others along the way, then great. We all make costly mistakes we learn from.

BVI, I assume that some kind of OCS service is out of the question? Also, I don't know about your area, but there are companies around here that just do coffee(vending not ocs). Maybe you could find someone to just put a coffee machine in.

JD

#20 kevin

kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:48 AM

deleted... If you think I was looking for self pitty you are very wrong. You pissed me off and what else am I suppose to say. Given that the norm is to rag on people but dont say anything taht makes you vulnerable. Im here only helping people. I never ask for anything except once and unfortunately no one could help taht one time. I know when Im not wanted and I will make sure I dont come back

#21 jblvending

jblvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

They are rare an you have to work hard to keep the right products in there i they have a change in employees. They work 6 days a week and 12 hours a day with only 2 15 minute brakes and a 30 minute lunch. They all use to goto 7-11 for their drinks with the otehr vendor because they wouldnt offer bottles and did not put the drinks they wanted in there. We fill this account twice a week during the winter and 3 times during the summer. There are accounts out there that I have that have more then 60 emplpoyees that dosnt do anything. In fact I have one taht I am about to pickup because they are using my machines for coffee but buying from sams, the front office girls started selling their own cokes, and they tend to shake my machine almost every week till they shake shelves loose. Placement and product are very very important no matter what anyone says. I have picked up accounts more then once that should f been great accounts based on the demographic and capacity. I just dont pick them up until I have done everything I can. Offering things like energy drinks for $2 and bottles for $1 makes a big difference in profit. The account I mentioned goes through 6-7 cases twice a week and everytime one is a Full throttle case. 24x$2.00=$48.00 and 5x24=$120 thats $168 twice a week and is the low side; high side is $192 twice a week. Also the thing about my father, nice low shot, but not in the way you may think. I started running this company 6 years ago when my dad was poisned by a filling in his tooth that had too much mercury in it. My dad cant even walk and hasnt for 4 years. I never wanted to be in the vending buisness personally but I dropped out of college and pulled this company out of alot of debt. If you want to call me out tahts fine, but.... You know what Im not going to defend my self here. I know what I do every day. I run route, I fix machines, and due to CDL drivers getting huge signing bonus around here I have lost 2 drivers this year and I basically do everything on the vending side myself. And Im also the only one with working knowledge of some of the difficult parts on the coffee machine side. I ahve had to teach myself everything,since 3rd party use to fix our machines, with just a little electronics background. I've been delt a shitty hand and your calling me a rich boy. I pull a $600 a week check to support me, my wife and my daughter. I do that because the companys money is very tight. Thats one of the reasons Im on here half the time is because we dont go out because we dont have money. This company makes a ton of money but taking out loans for doctors and everything else Im up to a little over 400,000 in debt as of around July. If I offended you Im sorry, I spend half my night looking at accounts and figures, trying to figure out where I need to pick up machines and cut my loses. I also take into account how hard it is to accommodate the accounts based on me servicing about 60% of the accounts myself. I know my accounts on the vending side and I wish I knew them half as well on the coffee side. I guess I will only offer advice when a "technical question" arises. Thanks I really needed to be put in my place...........

Self pity dosent work for me, it may for you.So what your saying(because you have posted your age before) is at the age of 16 you started running the Company, right? Kevin, I'm sure your a nice guy and you do your best,but people read these post for information and help, not about Kevin's problems.We are all in debt, we all have sad stories to share, we are looking for better ways to improve our position in life, but what we are not looking for is negative energy, it's just another form of falure, and I can't sit idle and let you feed into people with untruths, so in the future when you post, keep in mind there are those that need advice and help, not sad stories, good luck.

#22 kevin

kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:40 AM

Self pity dosent work for me, it may for you.So what your saying(because you have posted your age before) is at the age of 16 you started running the Company, right? Kevin, I'm sure your a nice guy and you do your best,but people read these post for information and help, not about Kevin's problems.We are all in debt, we all have sad stories to share, we are looking for better ways to improve our position in life, but what we are not looking for is negative energy, it's just another form of falure, and I can't sit idle and let you feed into people with untruths, so in the future when you post, keep in mind there are those that need advice and help, not sad stories, good luck.

Oh and I always appreciate your, "Id just skip the account and move on" comment you always throw up there. You can always set and pick up machines if they dont do good. Sometimes you find a diamond in the ruff and thats how Ive found accounts like the one I mentioned. Its difficult and I did state one thing wrong about the years its 5 not 6. I just made a mistake on the years. I dropped out of college at 17 about to turn 18. yes I was an early enrolment in school at 5 instead of 6 years of age. If I wanted a pitty party I would of posted that a long time ago, but the only reason I did was because you started making false accusations and I dont appreciate that. To each his own I guess. I have posted good and bad accounts information on here as well and I dont hide accounts I have trouble with. Sometimes its my fault because I cant aford to upgrade the amchines based on a smaller size account and sometimes its just their emplpoyees being a little over picky. Skipping opn every account taht comes your way with more then 60 employees and less then 200 is rediculous. Maybe you come from a town that has alot bigger companies then mine, but either way they are money makers if you do it right. In rare occasions they arnt and those are the ones I post because theyt are the biggest disappointments. So yea, if you skip on that account and Im in your town then I will be servicing them BVI, maybe tahts how I should have said it.

#23 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:40 AM

BVI, I assume that some kind of OCS service is out of the question? Also, I don't know about your area, but there are companies around here that just do coffee(vending not ocs). Maybe you could find someone to just put a coffee machine in.

JD

I mentioned OCS to my prospect because I have a working relationship with Standard Coffee here, but they don't want to have to "pay" anything for the coffee the production people drink. That's the dillemma. I mentioned an honor box, but that wasn't received very well.

Personally, I think OCS has all but replaced vended coffee. Once in a while you see a coffee vending machine out there, but they aren't nearly as common arouond here as they used to be. I don't know of anyone who does just vended coffee. I don't think you could ever make any real money doing just that.

#24 coinvestor

coinvestor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:47 AM

I mentioned OCS to my prospect because I have a working relationship with Standard Coffee here, but they don't want to have to "pay" anything for the coffee the production people drink. That's the dillemma. I mentioned an honor box, but that wasn't received very well.

Personally, I think OCS has all but replaced vended coffee. Once in a while you see a coffee vending machine out there, but they aren't nearly as common arouond here as they used to be. I don't know of anyone who does just vended coffee. I don't think you could ever make any real money doing just that.

THere is a large national coffee vending company (I think national) that I see around here all the time. THey have machines in my bank and in a couple of my accounts next to my machines. Next time I sevice I will get the name off them.

JD

#25 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

THere is a large national coffee vending company (I think national) that I see around here all the time. THey have machines in my bank and in a couple of my accounts next to my machines. Next time I sevice I will get the name off them.

JD

If they're here, that could work out very well. Thanks!