• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mullin84

mullin84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

I bought a Dixie Narco 501E, and this is my first soda machine (I have several gumball machines). It was dropped as we were loading it into my pickup truck. It turns on and cools, but it has a couple issues. First, it wont take quarters, they just fall right through. About 1 in 20 go into the escrow, but the rest go into the coin return. All other coins work fine. The bill validator works, but once it takes the dollar (I have it setup for $1.00 vends) it automatically vends from column 8. The other columns work when I press them from inside though. any help would be great!

#2 Mooman333

Mooman333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Try a different coin mech first for the quarter issue.
Is the column 8 button shorted out? If the switch is stuck or shorted it could always be telling it to vend column 8. Unplug that switch and see if others work or use the one board diagnostics to test the switch function.

#3 cvending

cvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

I agree with Mooman on the coin issue. If nickels & dimes work, I would say the acceptor is bad. As for the #8 column automatically vending, it sounds like that selection switch is stuck. In a 501E machine: 1) push the service switch once. the display will show "HD". Now press selection buttons #1 & #2 at the same time and hold. Display will start through the service menu. Release when the display reads "Daignose". As you press/release each selection button now the display will show you that button is working. Pressing button 1 will show "SS-1", button 2 "SS-2" and so on. Makes sure each switch is functioning correctly. If tyhat does not help you, empty that column of product and see if machine works OK then.

Good luck

#4 H4UV

H4UV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

You need to tune the acceptor. I've posted that procedure here very often, and as soon as I can find a thread with it on there, I'll post it here. If it is a Mars changer, then tuning it will make the problem go away, or at leat there is a 99% chance that it will. If it is a Coinco changer, replace the changer, or the acceptor.

On the motor, switch the switches on it out with the other good rows first and see if the probelm goes away. Make sure that no wires or anything are getting pinched in door.

#5 H4UV

H4UV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Here is the tuning procedure:

-Remove power to the changer.

-Unlatch and remove or lower the acceptor, but keep it plugged into the changer.

-Near the bottom of the flight deck board behind the acceptor, you will find two metal pins protruding out of a small opening in the board cover.

-Using a screwdriver, short those two pins with the screwdriver by touching them both at the same time with the driver point.

-Hold the screwdriver in place, and apply power to the unit.

-Hold screwdriver in place for about 5 seconds after applying power, then remove and shut the acceptor as normal.

-Insert slowly in this order, 2 nickels, 2 dimes, 2 quarters, and 2 dollar coins. If you do not want the unit to accept dollar coins, then instead of inserting two of them at the end, press the escrow return lever twice.

-After the return lever has been pressed twice, or the last two dollar coins inserted, then the nickel tube should eject once.

-Turn off the power, and reapply. Test the unit.

NOTE:

During the tuning procedure, ALL coins should drop all the way through the changer, and none should be accepted. If some are accepted, then you did not short the pins properly. Cut the power, and try again.

#6 cvending

cvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Good to know. Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: soda machine, bill validator, coin validator, dixe narco 501e