13 replies to this topic

#1 BbAaSsSs

BbAaSsSs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:01 AM

Hello everyone. I have a pretty easy question what does everyone use for their helix sizes?? I am unsure on chips,candy.pasteries, and sandwiches. I want to be able to hold the most amount of product in my machines but make sure everything fits. Here are the helic sizes....

Snack

5 Pitch - 3 1/4"
7 Pitch - 2 1/2"
9 Pitch - 2"
10 Pitch - 1 3/4"
12 Pitch - 1 1/2"
15 Pitch - 1 1/4"

Candy

7 Pitch - 2 7/8"
10 Pitch - 2"
12 Pitch - 1 5/8"
15 Pitch - 1 1/4"
18 Pitch - 1"
24 Pitch - 3/4"

If anyone could just tell me what they put in what helix and what fits in what helix I would very much appreciate it!!

Thanks,

Bass Vending Services

#2 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:01 PM

Hello everyone. I have a pretty easy question what does everyone use for their helix sizes?? I am unsure on chips,candy.pasteries, and sandwiches. I want to be able to hold the most amount of product in my machines but make sure everything fits. Here are the helic sizes....

Snack

5 Pitch - 3 1/4"
7 Pitch - 2 1/2"
9 Pitch - 2"
10 Pitch - 1 3/4"
12 Pitch - 1 1/2"
15 Pitch - 1 1/4"

Candy

7 Pitch - 2 7/8"
10 Pitch - 2"
12 Pitch - 1 5/8"
15 Pitch - 1 1/4"
18 Pitch - 1"
24 Pitch - 3/4"

If anyone could just tell me what they put in what helix and what fits in what helix I would very much appreciate it!!

Thanks,

Bass Vending Services

I'm assuming he's referring to augers, or spirals if you will -- never heard them called helixes before -- so my response will be directed to that. If your question pertains to something else, just say so. Usually the manufacturer pre-configures the machine with the recommended augers during manufacturing. You can, however, buy augers with tighter spirals which allow you to pack more in them if you choose to "size" your machine to your location. With the standard setup, manufactueres usually give you larger spirals on the top row and tighter ones on the second row, and so forth. I would go with the standard configuration and see how it goes. You can always buy more augers with tighter spirals once you get your product line figured out and have a better "hands on" idea on exactly what you need. Augers are not expensive at all. Hope that helps.

#3 BbAaSsSs

BbAaSsSs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:07 AM

I'm assuming he's referring to augers, or spirals if you will -- never heard them called helixes before -- so my response will be directed to that. If your question pertains to something else, just say so. Usually the manufacturer pre-configures the machine with the recommended augers during manufacturing. You can, however, buy augers with tighter spirals which allow you to pack more in them if you choose to "size" your machine to your location. With the standard setup, manufactueres usually give you larger spirals on the top row and tighter ones on the second row, and so forth. I would go with the standard configuration and see how it goes. You can always buy more augers with tighter spirals once you get your product line figured out and have a better "hands on" idea on exactly what you need. Augers are not expensive at all. Hope that helps.

Yeah thats what he is talking about. I guess AMS calls them Helix's. So just standard then. thats simple enough. Does anyone else have any input on the spirals or augers?

Thanks,

Bass Vending Services

#4 jblvending

jblvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:39 PM

Yeah thats what he is talking about. I guess AMS calls them Helix's. So just standard then. thats simple enough. Does anyone else have any input on the spirals or augers?

Thanks,

Bass Vending Services

The 10 pitch is used for grap bags(LSS sizes), the 12,15 pitch is used for single serve bags, use the 15 and 18 pitch for candy, order the machines with just one candy tray, make your top row all 10 pitches, secound and third tray use the 12 pitch, put your pastry on the bottom row, use a 12 for that one as well, on your candy go half of it 15, and the other half 18.Reason you want one tray fo candy is A) it's a very expensive product, so you want to limit it.B) exchance that other candy tray with a additional chip tray, this is where you will make your money and C) they want ever eat that much candy anyhow, and that means you will have dead inventory seating in your machine.Put your pastry on the bottom tray, because you don't want it to tear or rip open as it falls, so having it on the bottom elminates that problem.

#5 BbAaSsSs

BbAaSsSs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

The 10 pitch is used for grap bags(LSS sizes), the 12,15 pitch is used for single serve bags, use the 15 and 18 pitch for candy, order the machines with just one candy tray, make your top row all 10 pitches, secound and third tray use the 12 pitch, put your pastry on the bottom row, use a 12 for that one as well, on your candy go half of it 15, and the other half 18.Reason you want one tray fo candy is A) it's a very expensive product, so you want to limit it.B) exchance that other candy tray with a additional chip tray, this is where you will make your money and C) they want ever eat that much candy anyhow, and that means you will have dead inventory seating in your machine.Put your pastry on the bottom tray, because you don't want it to tear or rip open as it falls, so having it on the bottom elminates that problem.

Wow thanks for all the help! The reason I am going with 2 rows for candy is because I am putting gloves and glass's which will take up 4 spots. They will fit in the candy rows real nice plus I can have room left for other items in the same tray. Does that make sense? I will be able to put crackers and other things besides candy in the candy tray. Does anyone else have any more ideas? Please let me know.

Thanks,

#6 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

Wow thanks for all the help! The reason I am going with 2 rows for candy is because I am putting gloves and glass's which will take up 4 spots. They will fit in the candy rows real nice plus I can have room left for other items in the same tray. Does that make sense? I will be able to put crackers and other things besides candy in the candy tray. Does anyone else have any more ideas? Please let me know.

Thanks,

I like the idea of using just one candy tray. I have been using 2 candy trays per snack machine, but I don't use both for candy. One of them I use for Lance crackers, granola bars, peanuts, salami, stuff like that. There is a lot of profit margin in the crackers, peanuts and salami (I may be missing something) and they vend best out of the candy tray. If you do use 2 candy trays, just make sure you use one for something other than candy, because as JBL said, you won't make much money on candy.

#7 BbAaSsSs

BbAaSsSs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:51 PM

I like the idea of using just one candy tray. I have been using 2 candy trays per snack machine, but I don't use both for candy. One of them I use for Lance crackers, granola bars, peanuts, salami, stuff like that. There is a lot of profit margin in the crackers, peanuts and salami (I may be missing something) and they vend best out of the candy tray. If you do use 2 candy trays, just make sure you use one for something other than candy, because as JBL said, you won't make much money on candy.

BVI thats exactly what I plan on doing with the 2nd candy tray except I am going to have 4 out of the 10 spots filled with saftey supplies. Thanks a lot you guys. Is there any other good vending forums? or Blogs that you know of??

Bass Vending Services

#8 coinvestor

coinvestor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:41 PM

Salami???????

#9 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:46 PM

Salami???????

Yeah, man. You've got to get some of those. Buy a box of them when you're at Sam's next time. Double Barrel Salami Sticks. Look for the Slim Jims and you'll find the cooked salami. Unit cost is about .23 and I sell them for .65. People love them, and those who are on "meat-only" diets will buy the heck out of them. Proof you can make money with candy trays!

#10 coinvestor

coinvestor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:31 AM

Yeah, man. You've got to get some of those. Buy a box of them when you're at Sam's next time. Double Barrel Salami Sticks. Look for the Slim Jims and you'll find the cooked salami. Unit cost is about .23 and I sell them for .65. People love them, and those who are on "meat-only" diets will buy the heck out of them. Proof you can make money with candy trays!

I looked at sams.com and didn't see them. I also looked at your sams online and they aren't there either. May just not put them on the web, I will have to check when I go next week. I sell slim jims and jack links. I get $1.15 for the jack links, so it works out good.

I agree crackers are great. I sell for .50 and they cost me .125 cents. I had one location that wanted cheap cracker prices for the patients so I have them priced at .35 (this is why I got the location), but I sell about 140 packs a week. Great markup! I make sure that I have all of the different crackers in each machine.

On a side note, I have been selling the heck out of cheezits both cheddar and the white.

JD

#11 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

I looked at sams.com and didn't see them. I also looked at your sams online and they aren't there either. May just not put them on the web, I will have to check when I go next week. I sell slim jims and jack links. I get $1.15 for the jack links, so it works out good.

I agree crackers are great. I sell for .50 and they cost me .125 cents. I had one location that wanted cheap cracker prices for the patients so I have them priced at .35 (this is why I got the location), but I sell about 140 packs a week. Great markup! I make sure that I have all of the different crackers in each machine.

On a side note, I have been selling the heck out of cheezits both cheddar and the white.

JD

Here's the link for the salami sticks: http://www.samsclub....amp;item=198744

You have to search the keyword "salami" and they pop up first.

I'll have to try the Cheezits. I've had one recent request for them.

#12 BbAaSsSs

BbAaSsSs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

Here's the link for the salami sticks: http://www.samsclub....amp;item=198744

You have to search the keyword "salami" and they pop up first.

I'll have to try the Cheezits. I've had one recent request for them.

Thanks for the link. My Local Sam's doesnt carry them but I did find them at one about 45 min away. Those have a great mark up!! Thanks again BVI.

#13 kevin

kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:58 PM

I have heard you mention this before about the one tray of candy and I agree with you in certain cases but as a whole, in my area, nuts and seeds are a big item. I carry 3 differnt peanuts, 2 crackers, 2 gronola, and either twislers or skittles depending on the account. We have found that by doing it we can maxamize a whole tray with cheap product that everyone buys at the 65 or 70 cent price. In 2 accounts we do this for 3 trays because they are such big candy and cracker consumers. I almost never put candy but on one shelf.

I have also found that white collar in my area only eats candy and crackers. I cannot go more then 5 deep on chips and pastry otherwise I compromise dates in select areas(usually these accounts are machines spread out, some for blue collar and some for white). I wish I could maximize more chips then I do because I get better rebates and a little bit better money per item but crackers and peanuts have made us alot of money.

#14 BVI

BVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:34 PM

I have heard you mention this before about the one tray of candy and I agree with you in certain cases but as a whole, in my area, nuts and seeds are a big item. I carry 3 differnt peanuts, 2 crackers, 2 gronola, and either twislers or skittles depending on the account. We have found that by doing it we can maxamize a whole tray with cheap product that everyone buys at the 65 or 70 cent price. In 2 accounts we do this for 3 trays because they are such big candy and cracker consumers. I almost never put candy but on one shelf.

I have also found that white collar in my area only eats candy and crackers. I cannot go more then 5 deep on chips and pastry otherwise I compromise dates in select areas(usually these accounts are machines spread out, some for blue collar and some for white). I wish I could maximize more chips then I do because I get better rebates and a little bit better money per item but crackers and peanuts have made us alot of money.

I also agree with this. I think you just have to make the choice on a case by case basis. I have some accounts that just will not buy chips and if it weren't for the candy trays, very little would be sold. I have to watch the chip dates with these accounts and usually end up transferring chips out to another account where they sell. I try to make sure that I have plenty of non-candy items in the candy trays regardless of the account because crackers, nuts, salami, etc... tend to do well regardless of whether it is a blue or white-collar location.

What I do like about using 2 candy trays is that they make your machine look a lot more full. I just installed a new account today and I compared my 5-wide to my competitor's 5-wide (it was still there). I had 2 candy trays, they had 1 candy tray and an extra row of chips. Mine snack looked much more inviting and attention-getting because there was more to offer. I don't know for sure, but my instinct tells me that I may get more buyers at my machine just because they think there may be something in there they want.

That said, if chips sell best at a location, then by all means pull out that extra candy tray and add the extra chip tray. This might be best anyway in the summer because chocolate can be a real problem to deal with in hot temperatures.