• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dirk

Dirk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

As a beginner (still working on getting my first machine), I would appreciaate it if the experienced vendors give me (and other beginners) an idea of the type of locations that bring good revenues for snack and soda machines.

Laundry rooms and vehicle repair shops sounds like good spots. I am certain there are other locations that do well for snack and soda vending machines.

#2 colman vending

colman vending

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

Stay away from laundry rooms, they are mostly left unattended and the customers are more prone to try to break into your machines. I have had very good luck with auto repair shops, the wotkers buy most of my items and the customers are stuck there while their car is fixed, Try to get one with at least 6-10 bays that way there are at least 10 employes.

Good Luck

#3 RJT

RJT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

How large are you wanting to grow? What type machine are you considering?

#4 RJT

RJT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

Stay away from laundry rooms, they are mostly left unattended and the customers are more prone to try to break into your machines. I have had very good luck with auto repair shops, the wotkers buy most of my items and the customers are stuck there while their car is fixed, Try to get one with at least 6-10 bays that way there are at least 10 employes.

Good Luck

What kind of revenue are you pulling from a location like this? Are you doing snack only or drinks also?

#5 colman vending

colman vending

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

I have several snack and drink combo machines, I tend to sell more drinks than snacks in some but they all like the choice of getting a drink and snack out of the same machine. I gross about 60-70$ per week at some locations but it more like 40-50$ average per machine.
Hope this helps
Good Luck

#6 RJT

RJT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

I have several snack and drink combo machines, I tend to sell more drinks than snacks in some but they all like the choice of getting a drink and snack out of the same machine. I gross about 60-70$ per week at some locations but it more like 40-50$ average per machine.
Hope this helps
Good Luck

So are you running combo machines? What did you pay for your machines? Are you running a 100% mark up?

#7 Dirk

Dirk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

Thanks to those that posted! I was hoping for more input about good locations for snack and soda machines.

Has anyone tried snack and soda machines in the waiting room of "Doc-In-A Box"? With the long wait some patients have to see a doctor, snack and soda machines ought to do well (at least I think they might).

#8 RJT

RJT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Thanks to those that posted! I was hoping for more input about good locations for snack and soda machines.

Has anyone tried snack and soda machines in the waiting room of "Doc-In-A Box"? With the long wait some patients have to see a doctor, snack and soda machines ought to do well (at least I think they might).

While good locations are key their is MUCH more to it than just that. You have to make sure the machines you buy and use will work for certain accounts. You also have to make sure you have good prices on the products you are selling. That is why I asked what type machines you have or were planning to buy. Let me give you this example. If you bought a $1200 snack machine and placed it at a location doing $40 a week in gross then that is not a good ROI. However if you bought a machine for $300 and it did the same then that is much better. Also some locations can surprise you either way. Some you think will do good dont, etc. It is all relevant. Let me ask you this. What do you think would be “good” revenue from an account for a snack machine? I am talking gross sales not profit margin, just raw gross sales.

Another thing to consider is if you tried placing the wrong type machine in an account and it did not work for that location. If it is a good location do you have a back up plan?

Do you have a business plan?

Do you have marketing material about your company?

Thought about what your "pitch' is going to be while you are calling on potential locations?

What are you going to say if they ask for prices?

What if they currently have a vendor?

What if they ask for commission?

Do you have your prices figured out for each commission level?
Can you do a proposal?

I need a little more information before I can give you an answer.

#9 Dirk

Dirk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

Ok you said:

Also some locations can surprise you either way. Some you think will do good dont, etc. It is all relevant.

I KNOW THIS! THIS IS NOT RESPONSIVE TO THE QUESTION! I do not care about the other items set forth in your post.

Please do not answer questions I did not ask and respomd to the questions asked (as a consultant you should know that not answering the questions of your clients leads to a short term employment). I KNOW that if I put a big arse machine into a location with only 10 employees I will have a poor ROI, What I need to know (and I assume many others noobies need to know) is what type of locations are "good" locations based upon the past experiences of vending machine operators. Surely vending machine operators have placed machines into locations other than auto repair shops.

For example, I posted that laundry rooms would be a great location. Someone (I don't recall whom) said that one problem with laundry rooms is that they are not watched and people may abuse your machine. So an otherwise "good" location (based solely on gross receipts) becomes a "poor" location (due to the added expense of repairs).

Surely there are "good" locations out there (other than auto repair shops). I read the advantages and disadvantages of vending in a fitness center.

Does anyone have past experience with vending in a "Doc-in-a-Box" locations?

Does anyone have past experience with vending in a new or used car dealership?

Does anyone have past experience with vending in a real estate broker's office?

I do not need to provide any additional information because all of the questions you asked HAVE NO RELEVANCE TO ME AT THIS TIME. Are your questions important to the vending business? Absolutely. Do your questions have anything to do with the question asked? NO!

If you have placed machines in a real estate brokers office, please let me (and others) know if it did "well" or "poorly". All of us understand that "well" and "poorly" are relative terms. But I (for one) respect the opinions of those with experience in the field of vending.

When I go out to secure locations, I want to be efficient. I want to talk with the owners of businesses that typically do "well" with vending machines. I want to avoid the owners of businesses that typically do "poorly" with vending machines. Before I do any of the items mentioned in your post, I need to be able to focus my time efficiently.

#10 RJT

RJT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:33 AM

Ok you said:

Also some locations can surprise you either way. Some you think will do good dont, etc. It is all relevant.

I KNOW THIS! THIS IS NOT RESPONSIVE TO THE QUESTION! I do not care about the other items set forth in your post.

Please do not answer questions I did not ask and respomd to the questions asked (as a consultant you should know that not answering the questions of your clients leads to a short term employment). I KNOW that if I put a big arse machine into a location with only 10 employees I will have a poor ROI, What I need to know (and I assume many others noobies need to know) is what type of locations are "good" locations based upon the past experiences of vending machine operators. Surely vending machine operators have placed machines into locations other than auto repair shops.

For example, I posted that laundry rooms would be a great location. Someone (I don't recall whom) said that one problem with laundry rooms is that they are not watched and people may abuse your machine. So an otherwise "good" location (based solely on gross receipts) becomes a "poor" location (due to the added expense of repairs).

Surely there are "good" locations out there (other than auto repair shops). I read the advantages and disadvantages of vending in a fitness center.

Does anyone have past experience with vending in a "Doc-in-a-Box" locations?

Does anyone have past experience with vending in a new or used car dealership?

Does anyone have past experience with vending in a real estate broker's office?

I do not need to provide any additional information because all of the questions you asked HAVE NO RELEVANCE TO ME AT THIS TIME. Are your questions important to the vending business? Absolutely. Do your questions have anything to do with the question asked? NO!

If you have placed machines in a real estate brokers office, please let me (and others) know if it did "well" or "poorly". All of us understand that "well" and "poorly" are relative terms. But I (for one) respect the opinions of those with experience in the field of vending.

When I go out to secure locations, I want to be efficient. I want to talk with the owners of businesses that typically do "well" with vending machines. I want to avoid the owners of businesses that typically do "poorly" with vending machines. Before I do any of the items mentioned in your post, I need to be able to focus my time efficiently.

Dirk,

I hear you loud and clear however since I am a "consultant" with years of experience in sales and management in vending it is all relevant to me. A good consultant always looks after his client and keep them going in the right direction.I have seen many like yourself start and fail at vending in a short while. Why? Because they had no answerers to my other questions I posted. They were concerned with the basic few answers. What machines to buy, what locations to get and where to buy products.

Like I said these questions I asked are all things you need to know but without those pieces of the puzzle 95% of the time you will fail. If you don’t see my response as helpful I am sorry but I would rather you succeed than fail. Call me crazy but that is the way I think. Since you are a smart person, I am sure you have heard the phrase, "fail to plan, plan to fail."

Their is no one answer for you on which accounts do the best. Each account is different and you have to run a pro forma to get your best estimated guess as to what each one will do.

Good luck with your business and sorry I was not more “helpful”.

#11 Dirk

Dirk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

Imagine the frustration level of a customer hat walks into a shoe store to buy a pair of shoes. The customer asks the sales clerk: "Are these shoes comfortable?" The sales clerk launches into a five minute discussion concerning what people ought to consider before buying a pair of shoes (but never gives an opinion on whether the shoes in question are comfortable). If I were the customer, I would walk away and find another shoe store. The sales clerk (as the expert - the person with more knowledge) should answer the questions first. Correct answers include: 1) No, those shoes are not comfortable. But they are the most stylish shoe on the market today. 2) Yes those shoes are comfortable, but they are the ugliest shoes we sell. 3) I don't know if they are comfortable because I have not worn them for more than a few minutes.

One poster said that placing a machine in a laundry room is not "wise" (I know I am paraphrasing) because of the liklihood of people breaking into the machine is greater. This type of answer implies that the gross receipts of a laundry room are "good" (i.e.: Yes those shoes are comfortable but...). I retain the right to ignore his advice (at my risk of course) becuase I may have knowledge about the site that he does not (e.g.: the owner has numerous security cameras on site and actively pursues vandals).

RJT, I know you are an expert in the field of vending machines (as are many of the others that post to this forum). However, many of your posts on this site ask many questions and do not respond to the original question posed. When you ask questions without giving any answers, your "answer" is like the sales clerk that does not give an opinion about the comfort level of the shoes. Customers seek out experts because they want their opinion. Asking a bunch of questions is not the same as stating an opinion. First answer the question. Then, if there are factors that the customer failed to consider, set forth the additional considerations.

Every decision has advantages and disadvantages. It is the right of the customer to decide the importance of the advantages and disadvantages. If I am looking for stylish shoes, I may purchase shoes that are uncomfortable. If I am looking for comfortable shoes I may buy the ugliest shoes in the store. Give your opinion first (that is what folks pay experts to do) and then (if I have failed to consider factors) tell me that there are several factors that affect the meaning of "good".

#12 RJT

RJT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

Imagine the frustration level of a customer hat walks into a shoe store to buy a pair of shoes. The customer asks the sales clerk: "Are these shoes comfortable?" The sales clerk launches into a five minute discussion concerning what people ought to consider before buying a pair of shoes (but never gives an opinion on whether the shoes in question are comfortable). If I were the customer, I would walk away and find another shoe store. The sales clerk (as the expert - the person with more knowledge) should answer the questions first. Correct answers include: 1) No, those shoes are not comfortable. But they are the most stylish shoe on the market today. 2) Yes those shoes are comfortable, but they are the ugliest shoes we sell. 3) I don't know if they are comfortable because I have not worn them for more than a few minutes.

One poster said that placing a machine in a laundry room is not "wise" (I know I am paraphrasing) because of the liklihood of people breaking into the machine is greater. This type of answer implies that the gross receipts of a laundry room are "good" (i.e.: Yes those shoes are comfortable but...). I retain the right to ignore his advice (at my risk of course) becuase I may have knowledge about the site that he does not (e.g.: the owner has numerous security cameras on site and actively pursues vandals).

RJT, I know you are an expert in the field of vending machines (as are many of the others that post to this forum). However, many of your posts on this site ask many questions and do not respond to the original question posed. When you ask questions without giving any answers, your "answer" is like the sales clerk that does not give an opinion about the comfort level of the shoes. Customers seek out experts because they want their opinion. Asking a bunch of questions is not the same as stating an opinion. First answer the question. Then, if there are factors that the customer failed to consider, set forth the additional considerations.

Every decision has advantages and disadvantages. It is the right of the customer to decide the importance of the advantages and disadvantages. If I am looking for stylish shoes, I may purchase shoes that are uncomfortable. If I am looking for comfortable shoes I may buy the ugliest shoes in the store. Give your opinion first (that is what folks pay experts to do) and then (if I have failed to consider factors) tell me that there are several factors that affect the meaning of "good".

Dirk,

I am not an "expert" on vending machines. I am an "expert" in the vending industry. I dont like to use the word "expert" because I always try and learn new things. The word expert to me means you know it all and no longer need to learn.

You are comparing what I am doing to someone buying shoes? Guess what? This is a business not buying a single item retail that you are out a few bucks if you decide you dont like it. You could be out thousands if you dont get started out correct in vending or any business. To be a "new guy" at vending you seem awful stubborn to the point you are not willing to listen to people that have been in the industry for many years.

I get paid $100 per hour for my time during consulting. I am on here free of charge to assist people with vending. If I happen to pick up a few people that want the paid services then great, if not thats ok because I love the vending industry and like helping people. However, I dont like helping people for free or paid that are not willing to listen and take sound business advice. Theirs that word again, "business". This is a business and locations are only one part of it....

I will let other chime in with what "locations" work best.

You said: "Give your opinion first (that is what folks pay experts to do) and then (if I have failed to consider factors) tell me that there are several factors that affect the meaning of "good"."

Guess what? You are not "paying" me for anything. I was offering FREE friendly advice. Yet even if you were paying me I would be asking the same questions. Because I would not be doing a client justice if I didnt. I would be setting them up for failure if I just answered their questions and didnt lead them in the right direction. How is a new person in vending even supposed to know what questions to ask? They dont know what to ask because they dont have a clue about the industry. Some just think they know about the industry and that where they get dangerous to themselves.

Like I said good luck in your "business".

#13 Dirk

Dirk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

RJT:

I know you use this site as a method of generating business. That is a wise decision on your part. But guess what? I happen to be an expert too (in a field other than vending). An expert is NOT a know it all. In fact, the "best" experts admit when they are out of their field and "punt" to another expert (person that has more knowledge in the particular field).

I charge more than $100 per hour for my expertise. (This does not make me "better" or "worse" than you.) It means I know what it means to be an expert. Being an expert is a SERVICE business (especially if the expert is asked to give an opinion). I usually "give away" my expertise at my initial meeting with potential customers. If the potential customer does not hire me, I do not send them a bill for the initial meeting. In my service oriented business, this works very well for me.

If you do not want to "give away" your advice (something I fully understand), then DO NOT post comments to questions asked by someone (i.e.: silence is golden). It is better to remain silent than to post a boatload of questions that fail to address the question or questions asked. For example, there are many posts on this site from vending machine locators. NONE of them have posted anything to this thread. Their silence does not frustrate me. When you frustrate a potential customer, the liklihood that they will retain you decreases dramatically.

One of the customers I have worked with for over 10 years asked me a question about labor law. I lacked the expertise to answer the question (which simply put was "Can I fire this employee based upon (facts I cannot share in this post)?" I hired a law firm with the expertise to answer the question. They sent a three page letter that talked about all the issues that concerned the law firm. The experts failed to answer the question. In other words, the experts ignored the question they were hired to answer. I did not pay the law firm for their services! The customer was willing to pay for an answer to his question. The customer was NOT willing to pay for an expert to ignore his question and instead point out a bunch of stuff that concerned them (the customer usually is already concerned with the same issues - why else hire the expert?).

If you do not want to answer the person's question (without getting paid) then exercise your right to remain silent (and POST NOTHING). You already have posted enough stuff on this site (in various places) that folks can make a determination about whether to retain you for your expertise. Arguing with a potential customer (or telling a potential customer how stubborn he is) does not help you promote your business.

The issue of whether I am stubborn is not relevant at all. A customer service business (like consulting) should not call their potential customers ugly names - even if the customer is stubborn). However, I ask you to review the initial post to this thread. I said that laundry rooms sound like "good" locations. Someone else gave reasons why a laundry room may not be a "good" location even though that type of business provides great revenues. A stubborn person would have ignored that advice. I have taken that advice into consideration and probably will not locate any of my machines in an unsecure location.

I have made other posts to this site. In one post I stated that I originally considered opening a video arcade. After reading several posts on this site, my view of video arcades game rooms (I really love computer games!) as a business has changed. Do I still sound "stubborn?"

To be honest, I was considering retaining you or another expert for assistance at some point in my process of building a vending machine business. I doubt it will be you because of how you treat people. Why should I pay someone that frustrates me when I can find another expert that answers my questions. Why should I hire someone that calls me ugly names (regardless of whether the name fits)?

#14 RJT

RJT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Dirk,

If you cant understand that vending is more than just locations and appreciate someone trying to help you then I am sorry I bothered trying to do so. If you go back and read this entire thread from start to finish you started with the snooty comment about me asking questions and acting like I was in the wrong for asking what I did. Then and only then did I respond back in the same manner you did.

I dont need to "punt" to anyone about vending questions. I have sold vending services to fortune 500 accounts doing well over 3k a week in gross. I know what locations are the ones to go after and how to get them. However like I said each location is different, no two are the same. You have to run pro-formas and figure out what you think it will do. Some of that comes from experience in the field and knowing where to start. You still have to have the basic foundation laid to land, and keep those accounts. Without that it dosent matter if someone handed you one on a silver platter.

Contact dogcow that uses this forum. He sort of felt the same way you do about me and my questions. He sort of wanted to argue about what I posted but he was willing to listen. He was reluctant to hire me at first but he did after speaking with a reference I gave him. He was more than happy with my service and knowledge. He also wished he had spoken with me before getting into vending at all. He realized after our consult that if he would had found me before he bought he could have saved a lot of money.

Consulting is NOT customer service just like a lawyer is NOT customer service. Like a lawyer I give sound advice based on my knowledge on vending. You may not like my approach but I know what I am doing. Good luck finding another consultant in vending because that is why I started my service. NO one to my knowledge is offering what I offer. All the other “consultants” are trying to sell you something besides consulting. Most represent themselves as consultants but are just trying to sell you high priced machines, locations, etc. I just give you the raw truth about vending. I teach you how to save money and keep from making mistakes anfd failing.

I wish you luck in your vending business and if I can ever be of assistance let me know.

#15 For The Kids Vending

For The Kids Vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

All I can say is Wow.

On paper, good locations have lots of foot traffic and few options. However there are good locations that don't have so much foot traffic. There are so many variables that it is difficult to say good locations are X but not Y.

A car dealership next to a 7-11 may not be a good location but it is possible it is depending on the employees. A car dealership in the middle of nowhere might be a good location but if it is not busy and the employees there don't use the machine then it won't be.

If you want to know the best location then I'd say a factory with 200+ employees and no McDonalds next door, but you'd be investing thousands of dollars in equipment. If you don't have thousands of dollars then a good location is any location that will let you put your machine there. Target everything, get 3-4 locations then start swapping out those that aren't producing according to your goals.

I have a machine at a factory with only 80 employees that does twice the business than a call center with 250 employees. There are many variables. I have very little to invest but I've found a great deal on a small combo machine so my next location target is going to be auto-repair shops and dealerships with the hope that machine grosses $30 per week.

And when somebody tries to be helpful to you over the internet investing their time for nothing please don't jump all over them. RJTs questions are valid because if you are doing this part time and you have $2,000 to invest the answer will be entirely different then if your goal is to do this full time and you have $20,000 to invest.

#16 RJT

RJT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for the kids vending.

I have tried my best to help him and get him in the right direction and get him off on the right foot. I tried my best to explain to him it is not X and Y when it comes to locations. I am like you and have/had a mix of results from the exact same type locations. One car dealer does great, the other one not. One factory does great and another one not. Thanks for chiming in and giving us both a hand. :)

#17 VendIt

VendIt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

Dirk, you sir are an @SS hole.

RJT was nice enough to give you his valuable advice free of charge without any questions.
He was trying to figure out information integral to determining whether or not a potential location is profitable or not, and this
is how you repay him?

Maybe you need a lesson in customer service, or at least a lesson in common sense. First of all, you are not his
customer so he owes you nothing. He was nothing but helpful and you blew it as soon as you started giving him poop for nothing.
Do you think RJT or any of the other experts are going to be willing to help you in the future if you treat their
hard earned experience as if its some sort of owed entitlement to you?

If you were paying him for it, that'd be one thing... but you are not.

#18 dogcow

dogcow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

dirk hasnt logged in in 6 months i wouldnt worry about it :)

#19 RJT

RJT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

Dirk, you sir are an @SS hole.

RJT was nice enough to give you his valuable advice free of charge without any questions.
He was trying to figure out information integral to determining whether or not a potential location is profitable or not, and this
is how you repay him?

Maybe you need a lesson in customer service, or at least a lesson in common sense. First of all, you are not his
customer so he owes you nothing. He was nothing but helpful and you blew it as soon as you started giving him poop for nothing.
Do you think RJT or any of the other experts are going to be willing to help you in the future if you treat their
hard earned experience as if its some sort of owed entitlement to you?

If you were paying him for it, that'd be one thing... but you are not.

Thanks but dont sweat it. I see this all the time. I see people with a pipe dream of starting their own business in vending and pop in to ask questions. When they dont get the "magic pill" answer to how to start and run a vending operation in the first post they either argue or move on.

The BIG problem is people think vending is "easy". Yes it is a great business but like any business and it takes effort and knowledge to be succesful.

While this and other forums are very helpful they are not going to give you 100% of what you need to know. Well, let me take that back. They could I guess, after about a year or searching and asking questions before you buy your first machine you might have a decent chance of getting started on the right foot.

Anyhow, thanks and let me know if you ever need any help...

#20 Dirk

Dirk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

I did not plan on responding to the additional posts made to this thread. Sadly, Vendit decided to return to high school and engage in name calling. Even more sadly, no one told Vendit that his comments were inappropriate and wrong. I am disappointed that no one that reviewed his comments posted a negative comment to him for his nasty remarks. But let's review and see why Vendits remarks are rude and inappropriate.

To do so, we must remember why this Forum was created. I believe that this forum was created to allow the exchange of information among people involved in the vending machine business. More specifically, this subsection of the forum is designed for discussions relating to Soda and Snack vending machines. (There is a different subsection for bulk candy, another for locator companies as well as other subsections.)

If I am wrong about the purpose of this Forum, please let me know (and tell me why you think differently). In addition, I have looked long and hard for a "button" that I could press and send money to folks for the advice they have provided on this forum. The creator of this forum did not put such a button in the forum (or I have not yet found it). So, if you agree that the purpose of this forum is to allow the exchange of information relating to the vending business, you must also agree that the purpose of this Forum was also that the exchange of information was to be FREE.

Thus, Vendit's comment: "If you were paying him for it, that'd be one thing... but you are not." shows me that Vendit does not understand the purpose of this forum. If I am correct about the purpose of this Forum, then Vendit's comment (about me paying RJT) is WRONG or inappropriate.

But Vendit continued by staing his opinion that I "think RJT or any of the other experts are going to be willing to help you in the future if you treat their hard earned experience as if its some sort of owed entitlement to you?" To put it bluntly, Vendit is WRONG again!

How can I say that? There are several companies that are experts in placing vending machines for you (for a price). None of them responded to my post asking for good locations. I did not chatise them or question their level of expertise. The reason I did not engage in this activity against them is because I believe that no member of this forum "owes" me anything. I admit that I critized RJT for asking questions instead of answering questions. But critizing RJT for his repeated failure to provide a response to my question about locations cannot be viewed (by resaonable people) as me thinking that experts "owe" me anything. If RJT does not want to provide his advice for free, then he is free to remain silent (and not post comments). So AGAIN, Vendit's comments were clearly WRONG!

One thing that Vendit was correct about is that I am not paying RJT. I have not and will not pay RJT for his advice. (If you want to hire him, that is your decision.) The reason I will not hire RJT is probably NOT what people think.

RJT also said: "Consulting is NOT customer service just like a lawyer is NOT customer service."

When a consultant forgets that customer service is the number one job of consulting, he is not worth hiring (in my opinion). When RJT made that comment, I decided that regardless of his level of expertise (and his failure to answer questions with anything but another question) I would not hire him.

The fact that RJT believes that consulting is not customer service is enough reason for me not to hire him. But he continued his sentence with the statement that being a lawyer is NOT customer service. Here, he is speaking out of total ignorance. In my prior posts, I stated that I am also an expert in my field. I graduated from college in 1981, graduated from law school in 1984, I then worked for the U.S. Army as an attorney for five years and then went back to law school (for a year) to earn an advanced degree in Tax Law. Since earning the advanced degree in tax law, I have worked for the IRS and a multitude of individuals and businesses. In short, I have been an attorney since 1984 (@ 27 years). One of the first things I learned as an attorney is that the law IS A CUSTOMER SERVICE FIELD! I think my 27 years of experience in serving clinets permits me to state (as a fact) that law IS a CUSTOMER SERVICE business. However, every job IS customer service. Consulting IS customer service. Law IS customer service. Vending IS customer service. When you forget this, you lose customers (or clients depending on the name given to folks that pay you).

Let me give you an idea of why law is customer service. Several years ago, a client that I provided advice to for years came to me with a question. He is the manager of a manufacturing business that generates revenues in the millions of dollars annually. The manufacturing process requires employees to work around equipment that can cut off a finger of a hand without difficulty (if the employee does not pay attention). His question was simple (to him) but difficult for attorneys to answer. He learned that one of his employees was HIV positive and that employee worked on a machine that could cut off a finger or hand quickly. I asked if he had any other jobs available for the employee and the answer was no (that question is very important due to legal concerns). I told him that I am not an expert in that area of the law and asked permission to hire a law firm that concentrates its practice in the area of labor law. After receiving permission from him, I contacted a labor law firm and told them the fcats and the question that the client (customer) wanted answered.

Sadly, the experts in labor law acted much in the same manner as RJT acted. Instead of answering the question, the experts (and that law firm are experts in labor law) proceeded to issue a three or four page letter that discussed all of the issues (with lawyers the word "issues" has the same meaning as "questions"). The expert law firm told the client (i.e.: customer) that he needed to be concerned with "this issue" and "that issue" and failed to address the question that the client asked. All of the "issues" that the experts raised were already being considered by the client. The client (i.e.: customer) wanted an answer to his question. The client (i.e.: customer) did not want to pay $300 to $500 per hour to a law firm if all they did was ask a bunch of questions. In short, the labor law firm FORGOT to put customer service first (answer the question asked). The labor law firm did NOT get paid for their "services." They did NOT provide a service because asking questions (or for lawyers pointing out the issues) is NOT the same as providing advice.

I point this out to show that I KNOW how to hire experts and that I have hired experts (for myself and for the businesses I serve) often. I EXPECT experts to answer the difficult questions asked by customers (if they do not answer the difficult questions, why hire them?).

I ask anyone (and everyone) to review the posts to this thread and to keep this in mind...I am (or at least was) a potential client for RJT. It is clear that I asked folks to provide the types of locations that are "good" for vending. colman vending clearly understood what I was asking and his initial post was (and is) very helpful to the topic of this thread. RJT's first post to this thread was two (2) questions. Also note that RJT did NOT answer the question that I (the potential customer) asked.

Now look at my nest post. Did I "tear into" RJT for not answering my question? NO! I thanked cloman vending for his post and tried to steer the discussion back to the original post. In short, I ignored the fact that RJT failed to answer my question.

Then RJT posted a "laundry list" of questions (I agreed then and now that all of the questions he asked are important to the vending business). Also notice that once AGAIN RJT failed to address the question asked (in fact, to this date, RJT has yet to provide a single type of location that in his years of experience in the vending business would make a "good" location).

The original question was (and is):

As a beginner (still working on getting my first machine), I would appreciaate it if the experienced vendors give me (and other beginners) an idea of the type of locations that bring good revenues for snack and soda machines.

Laundry rooms and vehicle repair shops sounds like good spots. I am certain there are other locations that do well for snack and soda vending machines.

I am upset with RJT because not once but twice an expert has FAILED to answer the question asked. Only after RJT failed (or chose) to ignore my initial question twice did I "chew him out." I chewed him out because (in my opinion) it is clear to me that he (RJT) does not understand the meaning of customer service. That is why (when I chewed him out) I said: (as a consultant you should know that not answering the questions of your clients leads to a short term employment). Even after this post RJT has NOT provided a singel type of location that is "good" for vending machines.

Consultants ANSWER QUESTIONS. As an experienced attorney I HATE answering a client's question with the words "that depends." As an experienced attorney I KNOW I often must answer the question that way. Once I answer that way I explain to the customer (i.e.: client) the reason for those words. But I always answer the client's or customer's question because that is good customer service.

Even to this date, RJT has failed to provide even one type of location that is "good" in his opinion for soda and/or snack machines. That is his right. But it is my right to tell him (and others) that paying an expert for this type of advice is foolish. Failing to answer the questions of your customers (regardless of the type of business you are in (vending - law - consulting - or even selling shoes) means you won't have customers for long (or that you won't have repeat customers).

Perhaps RJT is very successful with his consulting businees. I imagine he is. However, he is not the consultant for me. If any of you want to hire RJT for your vending business, you are free to do so. I will not because he has not answered the initial question asked. If you hire RJT, that does NOT give me the right to call you names merely because your opinion of what makes a good expert differs from my opinion.

I EXPECT experts to answer difficult questions. That is true regardless of whether I hire experts for the clients I serve or for myself. In my opinion, RJT does not understand that concept (or else this thread would not have grown this long). If my expectations (that consultants or experts answer questions of customers) means (to you) that I am an @SS hole, then I (HAPPILY) plead guilty.

Furthermore, the amount I pay an expert for his/her advice has NO bearing on whether the experts advice meets my expectations. When my client hired the labor law firm we expected the hourly rate to be very high (It was because the $300 to $500 per hour that I stated was agreed to MANY years ago. Now the hourly rates are much higher.) I have given many of the clients I serve FREE legal advice. I give free advice with the hope that I will gain additional clients (or customers). RJT does the same with this Forum. There is NOTHING wrong with RJT using this Forum to show his expertise. There is something wrong with ANY CONSULTANT (not ust RJT) that refuses to answer the questions of a customer or a potential customer. If you want to hire such a consultant, that is your choice. I prefer to avoid such an annoyance.

So Vendit, if you still think that I am an @SS hole I say that you are the one lacking common sense. There is no doubt that RJT is an expert (his years of experience qualify him as an expert - something I have always acknowledged). There is also no doubt that I will not hire RJT because, in my opinion, RJT does not understand how to provide quality customer service. Your opinion may differ. If it does you are always free to hire RJT for your business. However, calling me an @SS hole because our opinions differ shows the type of person you are.

I created this thread with the hope that I (and other people new to the vending business) would be able to review this thread and make intelligent decisions about what types of businesses they should go to if they want to try to find locations on their own (without using a placement company). Sadly, this thread has not served it purpose. Therefore, I highly doubt that I will post anything more to this thread.

I will review other threads. I hope one day that I will gain the knowedge that I need to be able to find good locations without paying the $300 or more that vending locators charge to place a machine. I guess that still makes me an ass.

#21 dogcow

dogcow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

I did not plan on responding to the additional posts made to this thread. Sadly, Vendit decided to return to high school and engage in name calling. Even more sadly, no one told Vendit that his comments were inappropriate and wrong. I am disappointed that no one that reviewed his comments posted a negative comment to him for his nasty remarks. But let's review and see why Vendits remarks are rude and inappropriate.

To do so, we must remember why this Forum was created. I believe that this forum was created to allow the exchange of information among people involved in the vending machine business. More specifically, this subsection of the forum is designed for discussions relating to Soda and Snack vending machines. (There is a different subsection for bulk candy, another for locator companies as well as other subsections.)

If I am wrong about the purpose of this Forum, please let me know (and tell me why you think differently). In addition, I have looked long and hard for a "button" that I could press and send money to folks for the advice they have provided on this forum. The creator of this forum did not put such a button in the forum (or I have not yet found it). So, if you agree that the purpose of this forum is to allow the exchange of information relating to the vending business, you must also agree that the purpose of this Forum was also that the exchange of information was to be FREE.

Thus, Vendit's comment: "If you were paying him for it, that'd be one thing... but you are not." shows me that Vendit does not understand the purpose of this forum. If I am correct about the purpose of this Forum, then Vendit's comment (about me paying RJT) is WRONG or inappropriate.

But Vendit continued by staing his opinion that I "think RJT or any of the other experts are going to be willing to help you in the future if you treat their hard earned experience as if its some sort of owed entitlement to you?" To put it bluntly, Vendit is WRONG again!

How can I say that? There are several companies that are experts in placing vending machines for you (for a price). None of them responded to my post asking for good locations. I did not chatise them or question their level of expertise. The reason I did not engage in this activity against them is because I believe that no member of this forum "owes" me anything. I admit that I critized RJT for asking questions instead of answering questions. But critizing RJT for his repeated failure to provide a response to my question about locations cannot be viewed (by resaonable people) as me thinking that experts "owe" me anything. If RJT does not want to provide his advice for free, then he is free to remain silent (and not post comments). So AGAIN, Vendit's comments were clearly WRONG!

One thing that Vendit was correct about is that I am not paying RJT. I have not and will not pay RJT for his advice. (If you want to hire him, that is your decision.) The reason I will not hire RJT is probably NOT what people think.

RJT also said: "Consulting is NOT customer service just like a lawyer is NOT customer service."

When a consultant forgets that customer service is the number one job of consulting, he is not worth hiring (in my opinion). When RJT made that comment, I decided that regardless of his level of expertise (and his failure to answer questions with anything but another question) I would not hire him.

The fact that RJT believes that consulting is not customer service is enough reason for me not to hire him. But he continued his sentence with the statement that being a lawyer is NOT customer service. Here, he is speaking out of total ignorance. In my prior posts, I stated that I am also an expert in my field. I graduated from college in 1981, graduated from law school in 1984, I then worked for the U.S. Army as an attorney for five years and then went back to law school (for a year) to earn an advanced degree in Tax Law. Since earning the advanced degree in tax law, I have worked for the IRS and a multitude of individuals and businesses. In short, I have been an attorney since 1984 (@ 27 years). One of the first things I learned as an attorney is that the law IS A CUSTOMER SERVICE FIELD! I think my 27 years of experience in serving clinets permits me to state (as a fact) that law IS a CUSTOMER SERVICE business. However, every job IS customer service. Consulting IS customer service. Law IS customer service. Vending IS customer service. When you forget this, you lose customers (or clients depending on the name given to folks that pay you).

Let me give you an idea of why law is customer service. Several years ago, a client that I provided advice to for years came to me with a question. He is the manager of a manufacturing business that generates revenues in the millions of dollars annually. The manufacturing process requires employees to work around equipment that can cut off a finger of a hand without difficulty (if the employee does not pay attention). His question was simple (to him) but difficult for attorneys to answer. He learned that one of his employees was HIV positive and that employee worked on a machine that could cut off a finger or hand quickly. I asked if he had any other jobs available for the employee and the answer was no (that question is very important due to legal concerns). I told him that I am not an expert in that area of the law and asked permission to hire a law firm that concentrates its practice in the area of labor law. After receiving permission from him, I contacted a labor law firm and told them the fcats and the question that the client (customer) wanted answered.

Sadly, the experts in labor law acted much in the same manner as RJT acted. Instead of answering the question, the experts (and that law firm are experts in labor law) proceeded to issue a three or four page letter that discussed all of the issues (with lawyers the word "issues" has the same meaning as "questions"). The expert law firm told the client (i.e.: customer) that he needed to be concerned with "this issue" and "that issue" and failed to address the question that the client asked. All of the "issues" that the experts raised were already being considered by the client. The client (i.e.: customer) wanted an answer to his question. The client (i.e.: customer) did not want to pay $300 to $500 per hour to a law firm if all they did was ask a bunch of questions. In short, the labor law firm FORGOT to put customer service first (answer the question asked). The labor law firm did NOT get paid for their "services." They did NOT provide a service because asking questions (or for lawyers pointing out the issues) is NOT the same as providing advice.

I point this out to show that I KNOW how to hire experts and that I have hired experts (for myself and for the businesses I serve) often. I EXPECT experts to answer the difficult questions asked by customers (if they do not answer the difficult questions, why hire them?).

I ask anyone (and everyone) to review the posts to this thread and to keep this in mind...I am (or at least was) a potential client for RJT. It is clear that I asked folks to provide the types of locations that are "good" for vending. colman vending clearly understood what I was asking and his initial post was (and is) very helpful to the topic of this thread. RJT's first post to this thread was two (2) questions. Also note that RJT did NOT answer the question that I (the potential customer) asked.

Now look at my nest post. Did I "tear into" RJT for not answering my question? NO! I thanked cloman vending for his post and tried to steer the discussion back to the original post. In short, I ignored the fact that RJT failed to answer my question.

Then RJT posted a "laundry list" of questions (I agreed then and now that all of the questions he asked are important to the vending business). Also notice that once AGAIN RJT failed to address the question asked (in fact, to this date, RJT has yet to provide a single type of location that in his years of experience in the vending business would make a "good" location).

The original question was (and is):

I am upset with RJT because not once but twice an expert has FAILED to answer the question asked. Only after RJT failed (or chose) to ignore my initial question twice did I "chew him out." I chewed him out because (in my opinion) it is clear to me that he (RJT) does not understand the meaning of customer service. That is why (when I chewed him out) I said: (as a consultant you should know that not answering the questions of your clients leads to a short term employment). Even after this post RJT has NOT provided a singel type of location that is "good" for vending machines.

Consultants ANSWER QUESTIONS. As an experienced attorney I HATE answering a client's question with the words "that depends." As an experienced attorney I KNOW I often must answer the question that way. Once I answer that way I explain to the customer (i.e.: client) the reason for those words. But I always answer the client's or customer's question because that is good customer service.

Even to this date, RJT has failed to provide even one type of location that is "good" in his opinion for soda and/or snack machines. That is his right. But it is my right to tell him (and others) that paying an expert for this type of advice is foolish. Failing to answer the questions of your customers (regardless of the type of business you are in (vending - law - consulting - or even selling shoes) means you won't have customers for long (or that you won't have repeat customers).

Perhaps RJT is very successful with his consulting businees. I imagine he is. However, he is not the consultant for me. If any of you want to hire RJT for your vending business, you are free to do so. I will not because he has not answered the initial question asked. If you hire RJT, that does NOT give me the right to call you names merely because your opinion of what makes a good expert differs from my opinion.

I EXPECT experts to answer difficult questions. That is true regardless of whether I hire experts for the clients I serve or for myself. In my opinion, RJT does not understand that concept (or else this thread would not have grown this long). If my expectations (that consultants or experts answer questions of customers) means (to you) that I am an @SS hole, then I (HAPPILY) plead guilty.

Furthermore, the amount I pay an expert for his/her advice has NO bearing on whether the experts advice meets my expectations. When my client hired the labor law firm we expected the hourly rate to be very high (It was because the $300 to $500 per hour that I stated was agreed to MANY years ago. Now the hourly rates are much higher.) I have given many of the clients I serve FREE legal advice. I give free advice with the hope that I will gain additional clients (or customers). RJT does the same with this Forum. There is NOTHING wrong with RJT using this Forum to show his expertise. There is something wrong with ANY CONSULTANT (not ust RJT) that refuses to answer the questions of a customer or a potential customer. If you want to hire such a consultant, that is your choice. I prefer to avoid such an annoyance.

So Vendit, if you still think that I am an @SS hole I say that you are the one lacking common sense. There is no doubt that RJT is an expert (his years of experience qualify him as an expert - something I have always acknowledged). There is also no doubt that I will not hire RJT because, in my opinion, RJT does not understand how to provide quality customer service. Your opinion may differ. If it does you are always free to hire RJT for your business. However, calling me an @SS hole because our opinions differ shows the type of person you are.

I created this thread with the hope that I (and other people new to the vending business) would be able to review this thread and make intelligent decisions about what types of businesses they should go to if they want to try to find locations on their own (without using a placement company). Sadly, this thread has not served it purpose. Therefore, I highly doubt that I will post anything more to this thread.

I will review other threads. I hope one day that I will gain the knowedge that I need to be able to find good locations without paying the $300 or more that vending locators charge to place a machine. I guess that still makes me an ass.

it boils down to you asked a weak question and a few people tried to politely point it out and you were adversarial about it.

if someone you did not know asked you "i want to buy a new automobile, what is a good automobile?"

well a toyota corolla, a rolls royce phantom a ford f150 and many many others are all potentially good automobiles depending on your budget and expectations, but it would be absurd to give such an answer without asking follow up questions.

a big factory with 400+ people can be a great location, if you have the time/money and wherewithal to give them the right service. on the other hand a small auto repair shop can be a great location for a guy who just wants to load up a soda machine completely full and come back in two weeks and pull the money. if $100 for 30mins work makes you happy...then its a great location. no hassle, low investment.

a more sensible question would have been "what kind of revenue do X, Y, and Z locations do?" or "i am looking to make this much what kind of locations do i need to target", maybe that is what you meant but you never actually asked it.

as for RJT ive used his service and i can say his customer service is excellent. he provided me with great info, and then a week a later gave me a call, out of the blue because he saw i had posted a repair question on another forum and had decided just to call to explain how to fix the problem. he is a friendly and personable guy and works very hard to make sure he is giving you advice that will make sense based on what you are trying to achieve.

#22 RJT

RJT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:14 PM

Dirk

I want even address everything you posted because it is a lot. However, I will say this...

People have tried to explain to you it is not XYZ when it comes to locations. People have also tried to explain to you ones mans dog account is another mans gold mine. Their is no right or wrong answer to "what is a good account". I have one hotel that does great, I have another one not, I have a manufacturing account that dosent do that well yet traditional manufacturing accounts do.

Are their other accounts that make more money than others? Sure their are. Others have mentioned some other points also. How much money do you want to invest is a basic one.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that a large hospital would make a great vending account. However, first you would need around 20k or more to outfit most medium to large hospitals. This is with used equipment. If they demand new equipment as a requirement then you are looking at 40k or more in most cases. Second, because these are highly competitive accounts to acquire it takes knowledge to even get one. Can you do a proposal? Can you do a full presentation with food samples? Could you service the account 5 to 7 days a week? The list goes on and on. If you would go to one of these accounts and get lucky enough to talk to a decision maker and they ask you a question like. Can you provide area treatment? We want a bill recyclers. We want I vend on the machines etc. You would sit their like a deer in headlights and not know what to say because it would be Greek to you.

I went on a meeting today with a potential client that is a good account, it is a 180 person manufacturing account. I meet with her for two hours. She asked questions like how long have you been in business? Do you own your own trucks? What is your largest account? Is your food prepared fresh? Do you have a healthy options menu? What would your answer be?

So again, I try and tell people you have to be prepared and you have to plan a business. Any question asked by me is to help you and not hurt you. I had a lady hire me. Within our first 1 hour she realized that she had to figure a few things out she had not thought of. She didn’t even think how she was going to move machines, fix machines, etc.

While getting good accounts are a part of the vending business it is only one part.....

I did find this interesting that you said.

"Consultants ANSWER QUESTIONS. As an experienced attorney I HATE answering a client's question with the words "that depends." As an experienced attorney I KNOW I often must answer the question that way. Once I answer that way I explain to the customer (i.e.: client) the reason for those words. But I always answer the client's or customer's question because that is good customer service."

You said it best yourself "that depends", is the answer I have to give you. Because it does "depend" on many factors. I would assume in law it is the same because of factors like, who is the judge, jury selection, other attorney involved, evidence, charges etc.

Hey Mr. Lawyer I got a speeding ticket can I get out of it? Guess what? "That depends" on a few factors. You then ask a few questions like. Have you ever had a ticket before? If so how long and what for? Ever been in an other trouble? Was you respectful to the officer? etc. Now once those questions are answered you can give him a little more solid answer. Yes, Mr. Speedy, since you have a clean driving record, never been in any trouble, and you sent the cops entire squad doughnuts and thanked him for giving you the ticket and probably saved your life because of it. Then YES I think we have a 99.99% chance of getting you out of that ticket.

Or it could go.. Mr. Speedy, you just got a ticket last month and that was your fifth one for the year. I see here that you have had 12 speeding tickets, a DWI, marijuana possession, assault and battery, and you cussed the cop out for giving you the ticket. I am pretty sure that you are not going to get out of the ticket. However, it "depends" if we get a good judge, the officer does not show up, or if we may can get it reduced and you wont loose your license again. However that will “depend”….. :D

#23 Dirk

Dirk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Dogcow said: a more sensible question would have been "what kind of revenue do X, Y, and Z locations do?" or "i am looking to make this much what kind of locations do i need to target", maybe that is what you meant but you never actually asked it.

That is exactly the problem. I do not know the type of locations. I do not see a list of businesses listed in the yellow pages that say "We have 30 - 75 employyes, we do not have a vending machine and we want one."

After reviewing this site, it became clear to me that many of the experienced vending operators recommend selecting your own sites (and to stay away from locators - especially bizop companies). I have also learned that just about every type of vending machine is available (Craig's List and other sites have machines for sale). So, once I know what makes "good location" I should be able to purchase a machine to fit there.

But I do not know what types of locations, sites or businesses are "good" for vending machines. For the Kids mentioned Call Centers. I have one of those near my home. That information is useful to a newbie. I know that there may be other machines in that location. I also know that the number of employees, along with other factors, affect the type of vending machine I should place in such a site.

I recently learned that schools make good sites for vending machines. One of the problems with schools is that coke - pepsi usually have the soda machine account so placing a drink machine there is difficult. But I would not have thought of schools as a "good location" for vending machines unless someone told me!

Without some type of lead, a newbie must rely upon a locator to place the machine. I guess I could stumble around town, poking my nose in someone's business until I learn how many employees are present. (But that could get me shot or arrested! LOL)

After looking on this site for some time, I still am not able to locate a thread that discusses the "type" of businesses that need vending machines. Some folks beieve that restaurants make good locations for vending machines. I am not sure about that. I don't think I would purchase a soda while waiting for a table (I might play a video game though - which is not "vending" to me).

I have learned that the purchase of new machines from bizop companies is expensive (but some may decide that is "best" for them). This site has vastly improved my knowledge of the brands of vending machines to purchase (or at least this site has provided me with enough info to decide if I want to purchase a soda, snack, or combo machine.)

I still do not know what type of business I should approach in order to place a machine. Thus, at this point (regardless of whether I think it is a good idea or not) I must use a locator company in order to place a machine in a location. I really did mean for this thread to be able to offer this type of information to potential vending machine operators.

#24 RJT

RJT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

Dirk,

Let me see if this helps. I guess I have been in the business to long and expect people to know a little more than I give them credit. What I mean is I would assume people know that hotels, hospitals, car dealerships, etc have vending. With that said, anyone that is worth having vending 99% of the time all ready have vending in place. Every once in a while a new company comes to town and you can hit them up and get in first.

You do NOT need to hire a locating company. You are an attorney so I know you can sell. there are no real secrets to figuring out who needs vending. I spend many days just ridding around looking for large concentrations of cars in parking lots. If I see a location with large amounts of cars I go and do a cold call. I try and find out who the decision maker is. If they cant see me that day then I get their contact info and I call them at a later time and try making an appointment with them.

In my consulting I “coach” people how to do this entire process. I teach them from A to Z how to land accounts. Some people can do it some cant. Some people do not have the people skills to be able to do sales. If that is the case they will have a long road in vending or they will spend a lot of money to get there. However they may even then not succeed because vending is a people business and a customer service industry. Even though we sell products we are a service industry and with that you have to have people skills and be able to “sell” people.

I hope this helps…..

#25 dogcow

dogcow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

Dogcow said: a more sensible question would have been "what kind of revenue do X, Y, and Z locations do?" or "i am looking to make this much what kind of locations do i need to target", maybe that is what you meant but you never actually asked it.

That is exactly the problem. I do not know the type of locations. I do not see a list of businesses listed in the yellow pages that say "We have 30 - 75 employyes, we do not have a vending machine and we want one."

After reviewing this site, it became clear to me that many of the experienced vending operators recommend selecting your own sites (and to stay away from locators - especially bizop companies). I have also learned that just about every type of vending machine is available (Craig's List and other sites have machines for sale). So, once I know what makes "good location" I should be able to purchase a machine to fit there.

But I do not know what types of locations, sites or businesses are "good" for vending machines. For the Kids mentioned Call Centers. I have one of those near my home. That information is useful to a newbie. I know that there may be other machines in that location. I also know that the number of employees, along with other factors, affect the type of vending machine I should place in such a site.

I recently learned that schools make good sites for vending machines. One of the problems with schools is that coke - pepsi usually have the soda machine account so placing a drink machine there is difficult. But I would not have thought of schools as a "good location" for vending machines unless someone told me!

Without some type of lead, a newbie must rely upon a locator to place the machine. I guess I could stumble around town, poking my nose in someone's business until I learn how many employees are present. (But that could get me shot or arrested! LOL)

After looking on this site for some time, I still am not able to locate a thread that discusses the "type" of businesses that need vending machines. Some folks beieve that restaurants make good locations for vending machines. I am not sure about that. I don't think I would purchase a soda while waiting for a table (I might play a video game though - which is not "vending" to me).

I have learned that the purchase of new machines from bizop companies is expensive (but some may decide that is "best" for them). This site has vastly improved my knowledge of the brands of vending machines to purchase (or at least this site has provided me with enough info to decide if I want to purchase a soda, snack, or combo machine.)

I still do not know what type of business I should approach in order to place a machine. Thus, at this point (regardless of whether I think it is a good idea or not) I must use a locator company in order to place a machine in a location. I really did mean for this thread to be able to offer this type of information to potential vending machine operators.

business listings like from www.customlists.net have lists of business broken down by city,state, type and # of employees
-