#1 westlakevending

westlakevending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:15 PM

Hello vendors,
I am currently operating with the vanished childerns alliance charity vca.org. but im not happy with their services, they havent returned my phone called, no current bill which should have been mailed out last month. They switched resource directors and in my opinion they have went down hill. They charge 1.50 per month per machine. Can anyone refer me onto a good charity source that charges less than 1.50 per month per machine?

Thanks
Shawn
westlake-vending@hotmail.com

#2 Dutchboy58

Dutchboy58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:55 PM

try the National Children's Cancer Society

#3 Yanni Zack

Yanni Zack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

Hello vendors,
I am currently operating with the vanished childerns alliance charity vca.org. but im not happy with their services, they havent returned my phone called, no current bill which should have been mailed out last month. They switched resource directors and in my opinion they have went down hill. They charge 1.50 per month per machine. Can anyone refer me onto a good charity source that charges less than 1.50 per month per machine?

Thanks
Shawn
westlake-vending@hotmail.com

I use the American Association for Lost Children. They only charge 1.00 per machine per month. Great Organization- they find lost children and abducted children for parents for free- no charge to the parents.
Yanni Zack

#4 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

I second the NCCS. Great organization with alot of promotional material for you to give to your locations. They only charge $1.00 per/per if you go in for yearly stickers. They also get a great review at CharityNavigator.org.

#5 clvending

clvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

I still believe that everyone should try local charities first. People are more likely to use your machines if they know that they are giving back to the community.

Just my opinion.

Lee

#6 Joven76

Joven76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:01 PM

I still believe that everyone should try local charities first. People are more likely to use your machines if they know that they are giving back to the community.

Just my opinion.

Lee

Amen Lee... I currently use a local Childrens Hospital's charity... When I go in representing the hospital's charity, I seem to get their attention better than when I did using the VCA a couple of years ago... Don't get me wrong, the national charities need help too, but the work this hospital does for the children of NC strikes a cord with me... I want to help them out any way I can, and it shows when I'm locating...

Christopher

#7 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

I couldnt agree more Lee. I tried that route with a few local charites here in my area however none were willing to work with me. I thought it was kind of weird that they were willing to accept my donation but were unwilling to be associated with my company. I recently tried that with the cancer ward at my local hospital and the booster club at area high schools.

I did alot of research when I decided to work with a national charity through CharityNavigator.org. There is a wealth of information there to help you weed out the less than desirables. I believe in what the NCCS is doing for children with cancer. Its a good alternative to my local charities.

#8 clvending

clvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:17 PM

I agree w/ you totally. Each community is different. I do find it kind of odd that local charities would shun you like that. I have met resistance when trying to locate. They have this impression that all vendor operators are leaches. They can not believe that there some operators who are sincere in donating money to charities while making a living. I guess if we were all major companies like Wal-mart they would be more receptive to our pitch. I would say that if you can't go local.....go national.

Lee

#9 Ryan

Ryan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:56 AM

I second the NCCS. Great organization with alot of promotional material for you to give to your locations. They only charge $1.00 per/per if you go in for yearly stickers. They also get a great review at CharityNavigator.org.

Hmmm, really? This review doesn't look too good to me. Not trying to ruffle any feathers or anything, but I am not impressed with NCCS based on what I see on CharityNavigator.org.

#10 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:54 AM

Im not quite sure why they are receiving such a low rating as of late however I base my affiliation with them and support them because of the actual numbers. The most important aspect to finding a charity to support should be your belief in what they do. After that, look at actual numbers. In the case of the NCCS, I like the fact that 83% of the money they raise actually goes to the program they exist to serve. This is far greater than the 63.5% at VCA and the 69% at the American Cancer Society. Beyond that, look at other numbers such as administration and fundraising costs. At the NCCS they have only 1% admin costs and 15.8% fundraising. Again compare that to 11% admin and 25% fundraising at VCA - 8% admin and 22.5% fundraising at the American Cancer Society. Lastly look at the percentage of the income that the CEO's receive as personal income. 1/2% at NCCS, 6.5% at VCA and .06% at American Cancer Society. (<---Actually really good!)

Granted there are other charities with much better numbers such as the Center for Missing and Exploited Children, however they are very difficult to work with. They do not make it easy to become involved in their vending outreach program. Now its very easy to donate but just donating does not allow you to represent them on your machines. Which is honestly what we are looking for when it comes to charity vending programs.

My point in all this is first choose a charity you believe in, second, dont base your opinion of the charity on a rating scale, look at the numbers and where the money goes.

#11 candyman007

candyman007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

Im not quite sure why they are receiving such a low rating as of late however I base my affiliation with them and support them because of the actual numbers. The most important aspect to finding a charity to support should be your belief in what they do. After that, look at actual numbers. In the case of the NCCS, I like the fact that 83% of the money they raise actually goes to the program they exist to serve. This is far greater than the 63.5% at VCA and the 69% at the American Cancer Society. Beyond that, look at other numbers such as administration and fundraising costs. At the NCCS they have only 1% admin costs and 15.8% fundraising. Again compare that to 11% admin and 25% fundraising at VCA - 8% admin and 22.5% fundraising at the American Cancer Society. Lastly look at the percentage of the income that the CEO's receive as personal income. 1/2% at NCCS, 6.5% at VCA and .06% at American Cancer Society. (<---Actually really good!)

Granted there are other charities with much better numbers such as the Center for Missing and Exploited Children, however they are very difficult to work with. They do not make it easy to become involved in their vending outreach program. Now its very easy to donate but just donating does not allow you to represent them on your machines. Which is honestly what we are looking for when it comes to charity vending programs.

My point in all this is first choose a charity you believe in, second, dont base your opinion of the charity on a rating scale, look at the numbers and where the money goes.

I just want to tell you my experience. I use a charity that I have worked with in the past. I made my own labels for my candy machines that have a picture of cancer children and the organizations logo. They sent me papers that say we have an agreement if anyone asks. I give 20% of gross to them though. So that is probably more than $1 a month. The more you give the more you get ; )

Rob

#12 Guth Vending

Guth Vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:53 PM

That is good that you think of it that way Robert!

Kyle G.