• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jojostar

jojostar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

i can see alot of users are very experienced in vending...could you give me some advice.....dont want to spend alot of money on machines.....looking at ebay
you think locaters are worth it.....jojo

#2 JaneL_Joh

JaneL_Joh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:01 PM

I was told by a contact at 1800 vending that the biggest mistake in vending is to go into it without locators. These people seem to be well informed, and capable. I am wondering about all of this, too--since I am thinking of trying it. I am looking for any guidelines or mentoring on the subject...I was just thinking that there must be a group that would not mind spending time to educate people like us a little. I found a "Better Vending Association" or "BVA" online--and am waiting for a response. I was thinking of contacting vendors in my area to see if they would sit down with me and talk about the business. There is also a Northwest Vending Association--waiting for a response there also. I don't know if this will help--but I am excited about the topic, and would like to get in there some way. I am about to look on amazon.com for any books on the subject. Good luck!

#3 GumballRon

GumballRon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:17 AM

Don't buy machines from anyone that tries to load you up with a minimum purchase. An honest machine manufacturer will sell you one machine at a time. Good companies for small machines are Beaver, Oak, Northwestern, T.Pico, AA Global to name a few. I would be afraid to buy used machines unless you have been doing this for a while. Do not buy too many different types of machines. You will need to maintain these machines and will need a small inventory of parts eventually. Too many machines means too many parts. Also, some machines are really junk and will cause you big headaches. A lot of machines are made in China and some of them are the pits (not all of them). If you get good machines, all you will need to change once in a while is the clear plastic globe. But even those can be polished with Novus 2.

For large machines like spirals, you might consider OK Manufacturing. I bought a lot of their machines when I started ten years ago and am still using them. As I maintain them well, they will last another ten years. Take good care of your machines and they will last long. That is how you get a huge return on you investment. I use Novus 2 for polishing plastic and chome cleaner on chrome. If you do that every few months, the machines will last long and look great. Keep them clean aand people will buy your product.

Location is important but it isn't that hard to get. After all, you aren't asking people to buy stuff. As the locations have no investment, they are working on your money which is why you have your place in the economy. That is why I say it is not hard to get locations. Try to sell stuff where you have to ask stores to pay for it and you will see many more doors slammed in your face.

The secret of success in vending is not getting discouraged. Like anything else, some days are better than others. It is that constant effort that brings results. It is a one small step at a time business. You can use a locator for some locations but try to get some on your own between those of the locator. I have never once used a locator.

I am willing to bet a lot of people who would have become successful in this business quit before they had a chance to succeed. Vending isn't for everyone, but a person with the right frame of mind for it can at least earn a living.

#4 bulkvending.blogspot.com

bulkvending.blogspot.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Flying Planes, Small Business, Stocks

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

Goto http://bulkvending.blogspot.com to learn basic info to startup.
This site will continue to develop based on questions I am hearing in this forum. Please leave comments on the blog site. Thanks

#5 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

stay away from anyplace that wont let you buy just one machine. ever heard of biz op scams? start slow and steady. i started with 1 double head machine and have grown my business to a full time venture. just be patient

#6 kpower

kpower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:45 PM

stay away from anyplace that wont let you buy just one machine. ever heard of biz op scams? start slow and steady. i started with 1 double head machine and have grown my business to a full time venture. just be patient

Just curious how long did it take you to go full time? How many machines do you have?

#7 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:21 AM

It took me about 1 and a half years to go "full time". It wasnt pretty because I had to give up a job before I could invest more time into this business but once I was able to put more time into it, it quickly grew into a sustainable venture.

I had 280 machines when I made the leap and currently run over 600 bulk machines and a handful of beverage accounts. Thats about the max I can do without hiring someone to help, which I am considering now as a matter of fact.

#8 Joven76

Joven76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

I had 280 machines when I made the leap and currently run over 600 bulk machines and a handful of beverage accounts. Thats about the max I can do without hiring someone to help, which I am considering now as a matter of fact.

I'm available... but you'll have to help relocate me and my family to Mass from NC... Oh and do you offer heath, dental, vision, and 401K??? Let me know when we can discuss my salary too... :)

Christopher
CA&T Vending

#9 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

I'm available... but you'll have to help relocate me and my family to Mass from NC... Oh and do you offer heath, dental, vision, and 401K??? Let me know when we can discuss my salary too...

You are a funny guy Chris but what would you do with your route? Would you like to sell it to me? Then I can hire you to run my North Carolina route!

In all seriousness, "considering" is a long way from "hiring". I could use the help if I want to expand however I'm not sure I want all the added expenses that comes with an employee. Maybe a contractor though...........

#10 Joven76

Joven76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:06 PM

Nah... I'd sell my route to my brother... I just want an excuse to move back up north... I used to live near Philly and visited the colonial northern states quite frequently... Boston was one of my favoriate cities to visit... That and New York... Ah well... I can still dream...

#11 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:14 AM

Well it seems we are in similar but opposite situations. I would love to move back home to Tennessee however I'm not quite ready to sell my route and start over. I have too much time and money invested here.

#12 Tradesmen1

Tradesmen1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:14 PM

Caserri,
You done it once, you can do it again. We have faith in you. Ha Ha!!!! Is 600 the breaking point of needing employees in this business?

#13 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

Its different for everyone I'm sure. It all depends on how motivated you are and how close, or far, your locations are to one another. My route is set up in such a way that I can service all of them within a 4 to 6 week interval.

Steve

#14 goldrushvending

goldrushvending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

do you have your 600 bulk machines all selling the same product ? or what's the economics for a large scale operation like what you're doing ???

Amer. The Vending Ninja. :ph34r:

#15 tedk

tedk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:23 PM

Well it seems we are in similar but opposite situations. I would love to move back home to Tennessee however I'm not quite ready to sell my route and start over. I have too much time and money invested here.

Maybe you two should trade routes. ;)

#16 joebob051977

joebob051977

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:15 AM

Caserri,
You done it once, you can do it again. We have faith in you. Ha Ha!!!! Is 600 the breaking point of needing employees in this business?

That's what you have children for :lol: That way you don't have to hire employees. Slave labor. It's the least they can do for you if you are going to pay $80,000 so they can go to college and party for 4 years.