23 replies to this topic

#1 The Silver Duck

The Silver Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

I just received a Mars TRC 6800H changer that was sold as "working". I install it, plug everything in, and it accepts dollars, gives correct change, and vends soda. It will not accept quarters. It spits them right back out into the refund tray. It vends on dollars, but won't accept quarters.

I have it set to VEND-on, CIG-off, DIPS set to .50, and the other bank of dips are all OFF.

It vends on dollars, dimes, and nickels, but quarters go directly into the refund hopper.

Why will it not accept quarters?

#2 For The Kids Vending

For The Kids Vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

I'm no expert but I would start with cleaning it. I believe you can use a streak free cleanser for the little sensors inside. The path could be a little gummed up or something as well.

#3 Ronald

Ronald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:38 PM

I just received a Mars TRC 6800H changer that was sold as "working". I install it, plug everything in, and it accepts dollars, gives correct change, and vends soda. It will not accept quarters. It spits them right back out into the refund tray. It vends on dollars, but won't accept quarters.

I have it set to VEND-on, CIG-off, DIPS set to .50, and the other bank of dips are all OFF.

It vends on dollars, dimes, and nickels, but quarters go directly into the refund hopper.

Ok is it full of quarters?
I had one that if it was full of quarters it would not work remove most of them and see if that helps

#4 The Silver Duck

The Silver Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

I took it apart, cleaned it, still not taking quarters.

I tried it full, half full, and without any quarters in the tube, still not taking quarters.

I put on a known good coin vaildator (top part), no good...still not accepting quarters. It will take any coin except quarters. I tried old quarters, new ones...it just will not accept a quarter.

#5 Spectres

Spectres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

I took it apart, cleaned it, still not taking quarters.

I tried it full, half full, and without any quarters in the tube, still not taking quarters.

I put on a known good coin vaildator (top part), no good...still not accepting quarters. It will take any coin except quarters. I tried old quarters, new ones...it just will not accept a quarter.

I would return the mech to the supplier/seller. You've got a bad mech. Unless you know how to repair mechs..there's nothing you can do.

Here's a pdf file for the 6800h
http://www.vendingwo...ch-TRC6800H.pdf

#6 The Silver Duck

The Silver Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:01 AM

I would return the mech to the supplier/seller. You've got a bad mech. Unless you know how to repair mechs..there's nothing you can do.

Here's a pdf file for the 6800h
http://www.vendingwo...ch-TRC6800H.pdf

It was a eBay special, so I'll probably end up eating it. I have that PDF already. I download/save PDF's for just about everything I own.

Thanks

#7 cwdist

cwdist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

The Silver Duck,

Are you sure you are not me?

I had the exact same thing happen. I bought a MEI 6800H off ebay and it is doing just like yours. I tried cleaning it, swapping parts from another 6800, nothing worked. I guess I 'm going to just send it to Vending World for a flat rate exchange. (Unless you figure out what is wrong and I try that first)

Charles

#8 The Silver Duck

The Silver Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

The Silver Duck,

Are you sure you are not me?

I had the exact same thing happen. I bought a MEI 6800H off ebay and it is doing just like yours. I tried cleaning it, swapping parts from another 6800, nothing worked. I guess I 'm going to just send it to Vending World for a flat rate exchange. (Unless you figure out what is wrong and I try that first)

Charles

What do they charge for that?

#9 JBVending

JBVending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

Did you try tuning or "teaching" the mech with the tuning pins? It is very simple but hard to explain so here is a link letting someone else explain:

http://reviews.ebay....000000004637884

#10 JBVending

JBVending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:45 PM

Don't worry about the last part, start-stop button and I never use 20 coins each, just a few and let the customers use their coins to buy products. Just the TRC series are the only ones you can tune.

JB

#11 The Silver Duck

The Silver Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

I was checking that out last night, but neither of my TRC6800H's have a 'start' or 'stop' button, and when they say to 'enter tune mode'...my units have NO BUTTONS, only 2 banks of DIP switches. Is there a way to tune my units?

#12 The Silver Duck

The Silver Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

I was checking that out last night, but neither of my TRC6800H's have a 'start' or 'stop' button, and when they say to 'enter tune mode'...my units have NO BUTTONS, only 2 banks of DIP switches. Is there a way to tune my units?

Preparing for Tuning

Before performing either of the tuning procedures, follow these steps:

1. Power off the Coin Mech.

2. Hinge down the Acceptor/Gate Assembly.

3. Set a price on the price switch.

4. Set the option switches as follows:

a. Switch #1--up

b. Switch #2--down

c. Switch #3--any position

d. Switch #4--any position

5. Short the two pins of J9 by touching both

simultaneously with the tip of a screwdriver

6. Hit Tune Mode???

7. Push Start then 110 Volt or 24 Volt???

8. Instate power to the changer, then remove the

screwdriver.

9. Press the Acceptor/Gate Assembly back into

position.

10. The changer is now in the tuning mode.

Tuning

1. Drop 1 .05 Nickel

2. Hit Coin Return

3. Drop 1 .10 Dime

4. Hit Coin Return

5. Drop 1 .25 Quarter

6. Hit Coin Return

7. Drop 1 Dollar Coin I have no dollar coins. Now what?

8. Hit Coin Return 2 Times

9. Drop 20 Nickels

10. Drop 20 Dimes

11. Drop 20 Quarters

12. Hit Start/Stop Button to End Session I have no start or stop buttons. Now what?

#13 JBVending

JBVending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

Forget the start stop part, thats on a tester. On a machine just turn off or unplug changer then set switches, then turn on or plug in changer and momentary short the 2 tuning pins with screw driver. That starts tuning mode.

JB

#14 JBVending

JBVending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:44 PM

You don't have to have it tuned for a dollar coin, just the coins you want it to work on. There are a lot pics and diagrams on tuning, just google "tuning trc 6800".....like I said, simple to do, hard to explain.

JB

#15 JBVending

JBVending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:47 PM

Turn off the machine.
Step 2

Lower acceptor/gate assembly, but don't unplug it.
Step 3

If your changer has option switches (like the Mars TRC-6800 series) then set the option switches like this: 1-ON 2-OFF 3-ON 4-ON. If your changer doesn't have option switches (like the Mars TRC-6000), then skip this step.
Step 4

Find the 'tuning pins'. On the TRC-60X0, TRC -6510 and the TRC-6800, the tuning pins are located behind the acceptor/gate assembly, below and to the right. They are the only two pins sticking out from the black plastic. On the TRC-6800, they are the two pins on the back and bottom of the acceptor/gate assembly.
Step 5

Short the two pins by taking a screwdriver and touching both pins at the same time.
Step 6

With the screwdriver still touching the two pins, turn the machine on. Don't worry, you won't be shocked.
Step 7

Remove the screwdriver from the pins, and place the acceptor/gate assembly back into place.
Step 8

The changer is now in tuning mode. Insert a nickel, then a dime, then a quarter (then a token, if you want it to take tokens). Again, insert a nickel, dime, quarter (and then token if you want it to take a token). It should reject all of these coins.
Step 9

Depress the coin reject lever fully two times.
Step 10

Tuning of the coin changer is complete. If it doesn't take, try tuning it again.

Ads by Google

#16 MVSJOHN

MVSJOHN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

You will need to start with teaching it the coins.Try this link.
http://www.meitechni...h_procedure.pdf
If the link doesn't work,try to copy and paste.Good luck
John

http://www.meitechni...ads_by_product/
This is a link for Mars downloads.

#17 The Silver Duck

The Silver Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:15 PM

Ok, I tuned the changer, and it accepts all coins.

But now it will no longer trigger a vend. I put $20 worth of change in it, and it won't trigger a vend. After a while, the "USE CORRECT CHANGE" light comes on, and it stops accepting money.

Could any of this be a bad vend relay?

#18 JBVending

JBVending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:02 PM

Unplug changer, set price, plug in changer. It should work.

JB

#19 The Silver Duck

The Silver Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:16 PM

Unplug changer, set price, plug in changer. It should work.

JB

I've unplugged and replugged the changer several dozen times. It's not triggering a vend. I have 2 TRC6800H units here, and the dip settings are different for each. One has the price dips set to ON, the other wants them set to OFF. Do I follow the instructions on the sticker? Or should I use the documentation online? I've tried to set it for .50, with the .10 and .40 ON, all else OFF, no joy. I then tried .10 and .40 OFF and all else ON...no joy.

Now, when I insert dollar, the coin mech CLICKS once, gives no change, and no vend. It's full of change.

I am 20 minutes from shooting this thing with my pistol and selling it for scrap.

#20 JBVending

JBVending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

Well I can relate to wanting to shoot the changer but first make sure it worthy.I think maybe you are getting the option switches mixed up with the price setting switches. It should be marked in the changer, but I think the option switches are on the left of the price switches. Try setting different prices, see if any work. Try changer on a known working machine. Yes the machine could be at fault not giving a credit. Its hard to tell with a electronic changer, thats why I carry a older changer with CREM coils to test machine.

JB

#21 The Silver Duck

The Silver Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

Well I can relate to wanting to shoot the changer but first make sure it worthy.I think maybe you are getting the option switches mixed up with the price setting switches. It should be marked in the changer, but I think the option switches are on the left of the price switches. Try setting different prices, see if any work. Try changer on a known working machine. Yes the machine could be at fault not giving a credit. Its hard to tell with a electronic changer, thats why I carry a older changer with CREM coils to test machine.

JB

We are making progress. It now accepts all coins, and vends on all coins and dollar bills...but....

It's math sucks.

Set for .50 per vend.

If you want to pay with a dollar bill, it gives you 2 quarters change. - Correct.
If you want to pay in quarters, it takes 5 of 'em. - WRONG
If you want to pay in dimes...it's a bargain at 2 dimes - WRONG
If you want to pay in nickels, it takes 10. - Correct.

Dimes do not enter the change tube, they go directly to cash box. Dime tube is empty.

I know I am getting close. Is there any rhyme or reason to why it can't count money?

EDIT...I just realized something....

It takes 2 dimes for a vend...or 5 quarters.

Is it confusing dimes and quarters? If so, is that something I can 'tune'?

#22 The Silver Duck

The Silver Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

We are making progress. It now accepts all coins, and vends on all coins and dollar bills...but....

It's math sucks.

Set for .50 per vend.

If you want to pay with a dollar bill, it gives you 2 quarters change. - Correct.
If you want to pay in quarters, it takes 5 of 'em. - WRONG
If you want to pay in dimes...it's a bargain at 2 dimes - WRONG
If you want to pay in nickels, it takes 10. - Correct.

Dimes do not enter the change tube, they go directly to cash box. Dime tube is empty.

I know I am getting close. Is there any rhyme or reason to why it can't count money?

EDIT...I just realized something....

It takes 2 dimes for a vend...or 5 quarters.

Is it confusing dimes and quarters? If so, is that something I can 'tune'?

I tuned it again, going nickel quarter dime, nickel quarter dime...and it worked.

But....each time I unplug the machine and plug it back in, the changer needs re-tuned. It rejects all coins.

This is all fine and dandy until the machine is on location and gets a power failure, then it's out of service.

Do those changers have some sort of battery backup? I mean...they have to have some sort of memory in them. What would cause it to lose it's memory?

#23 The Silver Duck

The Silver Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:22 PM

I tuned it again, going nickel quarter dime, nickel quarter dime...and it worked.

But....each time I unplug the machine and plug it back in, the changer needs re-tuned. It rejects all coins.

This is all fine and dandy until the machine is on location and gets a power failure, then it's out of service.

Do those changers have some sort of battery backup? I mean...they have to have some sort of memory in them. What would cause it to lose it's memory?

I have an old coin unit apart, and on the pcb, there is what appears to be 3 coin type objects. Could these be batteries? They are textured on both sides, no writing. Soldered on the pcb. 1 is a little smaller, but thicker, than a dime, the other two are side by side, and about the side of asprin pills.

I get no voltage on any of them with my meter.

I mean, this thing has to have a battery somewhere, right?

#24 The Silver Duck

The Silver Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:55 AM

I have an old coin unit apart, and on the pcb, there is what appears to be 3 coin type objects. Could these be batteries? They are textured on both sides, no writing. Soldered on the pcb. 1 is a little smaller, but thicker, than a dime, the other two are side by side, and about the side of asprin pills.

I get no voltage on any of them with my meter.

I mean, this thing has to have a battery somewhere, right?

Ok, I think I have it working correctly. Me, being an idiot, bent the 'tuning pins' that you jumper together with a screwdriver to enter tuning mode. Those pins were touching one another, thus sending the machine back into 'tuning mode' each time it's powered off/on. I disconnected those 2 pins, re-tuned (still going nickel, quarter, dime) and now it works fine.

It's still a mystery why it likes to be tuned nickel-quarter-dime, when the manual says nickel-dime-quarter, but you can't argue with machinery. It likes it the wrong way, so I do, too.

Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this thing out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vending troubleshooting, vending repair, vending parts