Close
Photo

Let's talk machines...what should a total newbie start out with?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan

Ryan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:08 AM

I posted this on the Yahoo! BVA board, but I thought that i might repost it here:

My name is Ryan, and I am
currently living overseas. However, I will be returning to the States
soon, and I would like to start my own bulk vending business after I
return as a part-time gig. I have been reading this board, another
vending forum, and several blogs trying to absorb all the information
I can about this business. I am going to initially start out very
small and slow with no more than a machine or two and go from there.

Until recently, my plan was to purchase three-head machines and go
from there. I figured that three-head machines would result in higher
profits. I still kind of feel this way. What do you guys think? In
terms of these types of machines (like this kind that SuperPro Vending
offers: http://www.superprov....com/superpro/), which would you
recommend? How bad are the machines made in China, like the XYZ
machines? I am inclined to go with something made in the USA (not that
I have a problem with buying machines manufactured overseas, but
everything I read regarding these imported machines implies that their
quality is total crap), as I want something that is high quality and
reliable. I would like to stick with one type of machine and, as my
business grows, I won't have to be servicing different kinds of
machines. These SuperPros sound really good. Are they? Or is there
something better in this three-head machine category? I keep reading
that Oak and Northwestern machines are considered the overall best in
the industry...do they have three-head machines like this? (if they
do, I can't seem to find them) Is the higher price of purchasing an
Oak or Northwestern worth it...meaning, is the quality that much
better than, say, a SuperPro or a Seaga?

Another thought that I have been having is just to start with a single
head gum machine. I am very intrigued by the Dentyne Ice machines
offered by SuperPro. I see there has been a lot of discussion this
board recently about them appearing to question the ROI on these
machines. They do seem expensive. However, I personally think
Dentyne Ice is a great product and I can see the potential of making a
lot of money with these machines despite the high initial cost. What
is your opinion of these machines? I am kicking around the idea of
just getting a few Dentyne Ice machines and exclusively dealing with
those from the start...one machine, one product. The KISS principle.
Thoughts?

Sorry for the long post! Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan

#2 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:33 PM

Ryan,

First off let me ask why you are so set on a triple? Is there a particular reason? Please don't fall for the 1800 vending hype.

I would like to stick with one type of machine and, as my
business grows, I won't have to be servicing different kinds of
machines.

Spoken like a true professional. This is a practice that so few employ but should. The benefits to sticking with one make/model machine are many. From quick product changes to interchangeable parts to general familiarity.

Is the higher price of purchasing an
Oak or Northwestern worth it...meaning, is the quality that much
better than, say, a SuperPro or a Seaga?

I recently had this conversation with Westlake on these boards. He loves Oaks, They are great machines. He gets them at a decent price and that is great. I on the other hand am a big supporter of Seaga. I feel that although Oak is superior in some respects, it is not so superior as to merit such a drastic cost increase over Seaga. So to answer your question, with all due respect to Westlake, no I dont believe that the quality is that much better. I welcome your rebuttal Westlake! :D

I am very intrigued by the Dentyne Ice machines
offered by SuperPro.... They do seem expensive.

I am with you on this one. I love the idea of the branded machine. I believe this concept will go far. I have spoken with Steve, the CEO over at SuperPro and he said that the Ice is just the beginning. They are going to roll out Certs in October this year. They hold a contract with Cadbury-Adams to offer their candy products in bulk form. As for the price, Its really not that bad. It is comparable to a double head machine but you have to also consider that SuperPro includes your first bag of gum with every machine.

#3 candyman007

candyman007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:23 PM

Ryan,

First off let me ask why you are so set on a triple? Is there a particular reason? Please don't fall for the 1800 vending hype.
Spoken like a true professional. This is a practice that so few employ but should. The benefits to sticking with one make/model machine are many. From quick product changes to interchangeable parts to general familiarity.
I recently had this conversation with Westlake on these boards. He loves Oaks, They are great machines. He gets them at a decent price and that is great. I on the other hand am a big supporter of Seaga. I feel that although Oak is superior in some respects, it is not so superior as to merit such a drastic cost increase over Seaga. So to answer your question, with all due respect to Westlake, no I dont believe that the quality is that much better. I welcome your rebuttal Westlake! :D
I am with you on this one. I love the idea of the branded machine. I believe this concept will go far. I have spoken with Steve, the CEO over at SuperPro and he said that the Ice is just the beginning. They are going to roll out Certs in October this year. They hold a contract with Cadbury-Adams to offer their candy products in bulk form. As for the price, Its really not that bad. It is comparable to a double head machine but you have to also consider that SuperPro includes your first bag of gum with every machine.

Tripple-head is the only way to go in my opinion. They are the same price as double head machines so why not get one extra candy option for free. As for keeping the same type of machine, I think you're 100% right. Who wants to deal with a bunch of different style machines. Although you are putting all your eggs into one basket by buying all the same machines. It's a toss up. All my machines are the same.

I think the SuperPro Ice thing is a 100% SCAM. I looked at that and it just doesn't seem like a good deal to me. You are buying marketing not just a machine and gum. Plus, that gum seems damn expensive. Stick with chiclets. Plus it's mostly kids who get gum out of machines and they want bubble gum. I really just hate the idea. I read their financials as well and I wasn't too impressed. I don't know about their tripple-vend machine. It looks ok if the price is descent.

I use tripple head machines made in China. And yes, they could be considered crap. But, let me tell you the only difference between CHINA made and USA made. The Chinese have no quality control. It is very apparent when you start putting machines together. BUT, when you build the same machine over and over you begin to do your own quality control. Plus they come with a 1 year warranty so what is there to lose really? Even the USA built machines usually only give 1 year warranties.

1800-Vend, well, they are businessmen for sure, but for an experienced vendor they would laugh at the prices. It really is outrageous. The machines look descent though. If you want them, buy them on eBay! See yah.

Rob

#4 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:24 PM

Tripple-head is the only way to go in my opinion. They are the same price as double head machines so why not get one extra candy option for free.

I dont like triple heads because most locations will not support a machine like that and if it would I prefer to go with a rack set up. Your assessment of the benefits of a triple head is exactly what companies like 1800 perpetuate to novice vendors. Look around at your competition. I bet the only triple heads you see are owned by operators who have been in this business less than a year. I guarantee you'll never see a triple head with "Folz" on it.

I think the SuperPro Ice thing is a 100% SCAM. I looked at that and it just doesn't seem like a good deal to me. You are buying marketing not just a machine and gum.

I'll buy the marketing of a company like Cadbury-Adams anyday for much more than what they are asking.

that gum seems damn expensive. Stick with chiclets. Plus it's mostly kids who get gum out of machines and they want bubble gum.

The target customer for this product is adults with bad breath :lol: Concentrate on placing these where adults need fresh breath and you will outsell bubblegum every time.

#5 Ryan

Ryan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:28 AM

Gentlemen, thanks for the great feedback!

I dont like triple heads because most locations will not support a machine like that and if it would I prefer to go with a rack set up. Your assessment of the benefits of a triple head is exactly what companies like 1800 perpetuate to novice vendors. Look around at your competition. I bet the only triple heads you see are owned by operators who have been in this business less than a year. I guarantee you'll never see a triple head with "Folz" on it.

Don't worry, definitely not considering 1-800-vending!

I guess my thinking is/was like Rob's, the triple vend machines seem to be a good value and three has to be better than one, right? However, admittedly, I haven't looked around to see what the competition is doing (of course, I am living in Bulgaria at the moment, so that would be pretty tough!), so I definitely need to reconsider this. I guess if you get a location that supports a triple head setup, you can always go with the rack set up. All of this is stuff I will have to consider.

I'll buy the marketing of a company like Cadbury-Adams anyday for much more than what they are asking...the target customer for this product is adults with bad breath :lol: Concentrate on placing these where adults need fresh breath and you will outsell bubblegum every time.

I am in agreement with you on this Caserri. I think this is a total niche thing that will work really well in certain types of places, like ethnic restaurants and busy, somewhat upscale, bars. I might be totally wrong, but I might take a flyer on a machine and try it out. I know there are a lot of people on the BVA board that are completely against it, and they might be right, but I think there is a certain demographic that want this product. And, like my grandfather used to say, give the people what they want!

Thanks again for the feedback! I would love to hear back from others as well, especially regarding their recommendations on machines!

Thanks,
Ryan

#6 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:55 AM

but I might take a flyer on a machine and try it out.

They will supply you with a high gloss, professionally produced 8x10 flyer that you can bring to prospective location owners. The flyers are produced together with Cadbury-Adams so you know its professional looking. By the way, SuperPro will send you one for free with no obligation so you can get out there and pound the pavement looking for feedback from locations without ever spending a dime on the machine.

I know there are a lot of people on the BVA board that are completely against it

Yes and I wonder how many of them actually purchased one to try it and see how it goes over? People are afraid of change. They see something new coming along and it doesnt matter how revolutionary it is, they will still shoot it down because its something new. I, on the other hand, am willing to give it a shot. I have alot of locations that request sugar free products, especially gum. And those who I have told about the Certs machine are estatic. I have even lost locations because I didnt offer a sugar free gum alternative.

Don't let nay-sayers get in your way of becoming successful. If I had listened to what my family and friends told me about bulk vending before I started, I never would have started.

#7 candyman007

candyman007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

They will supply you with a high gloss, professionally produced 8x10 flyer that you can bring to prospective location owners. The flyers are produced together with Cadbury-Adams so you know its professional looking. By the way, SuperPro will send you one for free with no obligation so you can get out there and pound the pavement looking for feedback from locations without ever spending a dime on the machine.
Yes and I wonder how many of them actually purchased one to try it and see how it goes over? People are afraid of change. They see something new coming along and it doesnt matter how revolutionary it is, they will still shoot it down because its something new. I, on the other hand, am willing to give it a shot. I have alot of locations that request sugar free products, especially gum. And those who I have told about the Certs machine are estatic. I have even lost locations because I didnt offer a sugar free gum alternative.

Don't let nay-sayers get in your way of becoming successful. If I had listened to what my family and friends told me about bulk vending before I started, I never would have started.

Caserri like you tell us, I am going to have to ignore your negativity on the tripple-vend machines. A location that can support a single/double head machine can easily support a tripple-head. They are almost the exact same size and take up very similar floor space. 1/2 extra sqft isn't a big deal to most people. Why don't you try a few tripple-head machines Caserri and I'll try a few doubles. You may be surprised! They really look sharp and since all 3 compartments are connected they take up almost exactly the same space of a double head machine that has separate heads. Plus the chrome base is just a no brainer. It adds so much sex appeal!

I don't know. I really want to hear why you don't like tripple-vend machines. I'm paying only $95 for brand new ones with chrome stands. If it was the price I would understand. Help me understand friend.

Rob
candyman007.blogspot.com

#8 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

Rob,

First off let me apologize if it appears that I am spewing "negativity" I never meant to sound negative, its just that, as you probably know, its hard to convey emotion in written words. Things that are said, or written, in jest can easily be mis-interpreted. I have re-read my earlier post and have come to the conclusion that it may have come across rather sharply. If you've been able to read some of my posts here you'll know that thats not me so I apologize. I usually say what I think though, I just usually try not to be as flammatory as that post sounded.

Now with that out of the way, I will answer your question. When I say that few locations will support a triple head, I am not refering to the size of the machine. I am referring to the sales volume that the location will bring to the machine. If I put a double head on location and I have a hard time keeping it stocked for 30 days then that location is a prime candidate for an upgrade. My upgrades consist of a 3 or 4 way rack with a couple 16's down low and maybe a couple 50 cent capsules up top, or even a four slot sticker machine. It just depends on the location.

If on the other hand I place a double and it goes more than a month or two without needing a refill I will downgrade to a single and it usually does just fine. Triples, in my opinion, are simply overkill that cannot be upgraded or downgraded. If you have a triple that does well in one slot, you need a single in there because your wasting money on extra product that doesn't sell, then you run into spoilage issues. If you have a triple that does well in two slots, well then you should really have a double in there. If you do well in all three slots, which is rare, then your location has great potential for a 3 or 4 way setup like I described above. The rack will bring you more money than the triple.

Another reason I dislike triples, It can only be a triple! I can break down any of my racks or doubles to turn them into singles. I can turn a couple singles into doubles or racks. You have much more flexibility when you work with singles.

Another reason I dislike triples, Very limited product visibility. Your selling the product, not the machine. It doesnt matter how "sexy" the chrome stand is. Show the product!

Another reason I dislike triples, All metal case retains too much heat. Its an oven in there.

Another reason I dislike triples, They just ooze novice. As stated earlier, Triples are just a learning tool for new operators. You can find a ton for short money on eBay when operators realize the flaws of these machines and want to upgrade to the real thing and run with the big dogs. <----Again, I type lightheartedly.

If you are happy with the triples then great! I applaud you for making it work. However if you want a fleet of machines that are versatile enough to adapt to any location give singles and doubles a try.

#9 candyman007

candyman007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:12 PM

Rob,

First off let me apologize if it appears that I am spewing "negativity" I never meant to sound negative, its just that, as you probably know, its hard to convey emotion in written words. Things that are said, or written, in jest can easily be mis-interpreted. I have re-read my earlier post and have come to the conclusion that it may have come across rather sharply. If you've been able to read some of my posts here you'll know that thats not me so I apologize. I usually say what I think though, I just usually try not to be as flammatory as that post sounded.

Now with that out of the way, I will answer your question. When I say that few locations will support a triple head, I am not refering to the size of the machine. I am referring to the sales volume that the location will bring to the machine. If I put a double head on location and I have a hard time keeping it stocked for 30 days then that location is a prime candidate for an upgrade. My upgrades consist of a 3 or 4 way rack with a couple 16's down low and maybe a couple 50 cent capsules up top, or even a four slot sticker machine. It just depends on the location.

If on the other hand I place a double and it goes more than a month or two without needing a refill I will downgrade to a single and it usually does just fine. Triples, in my opinion, are simply overkill that cannot be upgraded or downgraded. If you have a triple that does well in one slot, you need a single in there because your wasting money on extra product that doesn't sell, then you run into spoilage issues. If you have a triple that does well in two slots, well then you should really have a double in there. If you do well in all three slots, which is rare, then your location has great potential for a 3 or 4 way setup like I described above. The rack will bring you more money than the triple.

Another reason I dislike triples, It can only be a triple! I can break down any of my racks or doubles to turn them into singles. I can turn a couple singles into doubles or racks. You have much more flexibility when you work with singles.

Another reason I dislike triples, Very limited product visibility. Your selling the product, not the machine. It doesnt matter how "sexy" the chrome stand is. Show the product!

Another reason I dislike triples, All metal case retains too much heat. Its an oven in there.

Another reason I dislike triples, They just ooze novice. As stated earlier, Triples are just a learning tool for new operators. You can find a ton for short money on eBay when operators realize the flaws of these machines and want to upgrade to the real thing and run with the big dogs. <----Again, I type lightheartedly.

If you are happy with the triples then great! I applaud you for making it work. However if you want a fleet of machines that are versatile enough to adapt to any location give singles and doubles a try.

Hey Caserri,
Well to be honest I have never really thought about it the way you do. If one product does well then just use a single head, if two products do well then use a double head. Hmm. Not a bad idea. Plus if one product does well then you're only paying for a $50 machine instead of a $100 tripple-head machine. As for product visibility I don't know. I use these big candy cards to show the product and what it is so I don't think I'm doing too bad there. But I can see how with the big round globe you would have a lot more visibility. BUT, also think how much more product it takes to fill one of those globes than it does to fill a tripple-head with a slimmer product container.. Have you ever thought of it that way? What does it cost you to fill up a single head with M&M Peanuts or Runts?

I really like your double head explanation and why it's a good idea. I'm going to make a big post on my blog about it. Great, I really like that concept. I'm a business guy and it makes business sense to me the way you explained it. My tripple's have been doing well for me so far so I'm not going to complain, but my next batch will be singles/doubles I promise! Check out the blog. Thanks for the apology. I'm a light hearted guy and not much bothers me plus I have seen you help a lot of people out on here so I know you're a good guy. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to take it.

Rob
candyman007.blogspot.com

#10 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

As for product visibility I don't know. I use these big candy cards to show the product and what it is so I don't think I'm doing too bad there. But I can see how with the big round globe you would have a lot more visibility

People may know what you are selling if they are looking right at the machine from the front but what about those locations where your machine is viewed alot from the side or back? My product is visible from all angles. Case in point, I have a location in a pizza restaurant where my machine is located in such a way where if you where standing at the register you can see the front of it as plain as day. But why wait until the customer is at the register? This particular machines product can also be viewed by patrons of the restaurant while they are sitting in their booths as well. From behind! I can almost hear the kids now..."Mommy, can I get some M&M's?" - "After you eat Johnny." The average family takes 20-30 minutes to eat lunch at a restaurant. Why not advertise your product to them that whole time? Instead of just the 30 seconds it takes to pay for lunch. Most of the time Johnny wont even be at the register with Mom or Dad to even see the candy. Just food for thought.

also think how much more product it takes to fill one of those globes than it does to fill a tripple-head with a slimmer product container..

First of all I never fill a globe all the way. As I have stated elsewhere on these boards, Never fill more than 3/4 full and never add until have 1/8 of the product remaining. The benefits to this are A. You keep the cost of a fill down to a minimum. I only put one bag of product into a globe, whether it be runts or M&M's. Thats about $5 to $8 per fill as you know. B. another benefit is if you dont fill the globe to capacity, you will give the machine the look of use. Everybody wants what others are having, its human nature. I am still trying to figure out how to get that beautiful "whirlpool" look to the product after I fill it. And C. If you keep your machines at that sweet spot between 1/8 and 3/4 full I have found that you should never have to worry about spoilage which can really eat into your bottom line.

#11 candyman007

candyman007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

People may know what you are selling if they are looking right at the machine from the front but what about those locations where your machine is viewed alot from the side or back? My product is visible from all angles. Case in point, I have a location in a pizza restaurant where my machine is located in such a way where if you where standing at the register you can see the front of it as plain as day. But why wait until the customer is at the register? This particular machines product can also be viewed by patrons of the restaurant while they are sitting in their booths as well. From behind! I can almost hear the kids now..."Mommy, can I get some M&M's?" - "After you eat Johnny." The average family takes 20-30 minutes to eat lunch at a restaurant. Why not advertise your product to them that whole time? Instead of just the 30 seconds it takes to pay for lunch. Most of the time Johnny wont even be at the register with Mom or Dad to even see the candy. Just food for thought.
First of all I never fill a globe all the way. As I have stated elsewhere on these boards, Never fill more than 3/4 full and never add until have 1/8 of the product remaining. The benefits to this are A. You keep the cost of a fill down to a minimum. I only put one bag of product into a globe, whether it be runts or M&M's. Thats about $5 to $8 per fill as you know. B. another benefit is if you dont fill the globe to capacity, you will give the machine the look of use. Everybody wants what others are having, its human nature. I am still trying to figure out how to get that beautiful "whirlpool" look to the product after I fill it. And C. If you keep your machines at that sweet spot between 1/8 and 3/4 full I have found that you should never have to worry about spoilage which can really eat into your bottom line.

I'm sold. I like the idea of having more visibility and lower product cost per machine. I'm going to share your information with the guys on my blog. I think it's a great concept and I'm going to try it. It's a toss up for me on RUNTS and M&M Peanuts. I have to put in gumballs because of the margin, but the second choice will be a hard one for me. Anyway, thanks for all the advice and help. I'm moving on to bigger and better things!

Rob

#12 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

Rob if you're going to give it a shot, I absolutley recommend the gumballs, because of margin, and runts because of the shape. They contrast each other nicely giving the impression of a wider selection. If you go with gumballs and peanut M&M's both, the customer will only see "a bunch of colorful round things" not much variety at first glance. I always go with that combo unless the location prohibits gum. Then I do PMM's and runts.

#13 candyman007

candyman007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

Rob if you're going to give it a shot, I absolutley recommend the gumballs, because of margin, and runts because of the shape. They contrast each other nicely giving the impression of a wider selection. If you go with gumballs and peanut M&M's both, the customer will only see "a bunch of colorful round things" not much variety at first glance. I always go with that combo unless the location prohibits gum. Then I do PMM's and runts.

I HEAR YAH BUDDY! So I went to Miami today and picked up some more machines. I got double heads with stand for $95 each. They ARE SLICK LOOKING. All metal and chrome. I put one together today and it is just SEXY. While my triple-heads take about $35 worth of candy I can fill these up for less than $15 with runts and Gumballs! I am just excited. Anyway, I went to buy 10 double head sets but I ended buying 15 sets. I just couldn't resist. I got 10 sets red and 5 sets black. They just look sharp. I know they are built better. Man, caserri read my blog and see all about it. http://candyman007.blogspot.com There is so much you could help us with, I want your input! We are just a bunch of idiots, well most of us, me anyway, and we need some pro help!

I bought 20, 5lb bags of runts today from my distributor. That will keep me going for a while. One bag fills the machine almost half way, at least 1/3 of the way and it only cost me $7.25!!! Plus gumballs are so cheap. I'm so excited. My inventory cost has just dropped astronomically. Before I was paying $35 to fill my triple-heads. Now I'm only paying $15 for my new machines! Less han $15 probably. It's a great deal. I'm very glad you turned me onto the double heads caserri. You see, I listen to you. Check out my blog, I plead. Make a post, tell us about your business. We love to hear that kind of stuff.

What do you think, $95 for brand new metal and chrome double heads is a killer deal or what? Did I mention my locator found two new spots for me today!?!? A Goodyear and an apartment building! I think these will both be great. I have a kick ass locator if anyone wants the deal I have. Shoot me an email robertnpatterson@gmail.com Or if you have questions/comments in general shoot me an email.

Rob
http://candyman007.blogspot.com

#14 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

Rob,

Congrats on your new additions! I'm sure you will be very happy with the doubles. And remember, they are versatile! I am very partial to the Black and Chrome ones myself.

I think you got a great deal on those. What brand are they?

#15 candyman007

candyman007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

Rob,

Congrats on your new additions! I'm sure you will be very happy with the doubles. And remember, they are versatile! I am very partial to the Black and Chrome ones myself.

I think you got a great deal on those. What brand are they?

Hey Caserri,
Thanks for posting on the blog. Well I got 10 red sets and 5 black sets. I have only put a red together so far and I will have to say it is the best looking machine I have seen around town. I like black with chrome for upscale locations. But in locations that aesthetically work with red machines I think they will do better. They are from http://www.gumball-machine.com I think they make the cheapest machines anywhere. They are made in china and come with a 1 year warranty.

http://www.gumball-m...achines-4.html# That is a link to the exact machine I got. It's $45 on the site but I talked him down to $35. So a set cost me $70 for two heads and $25 for the stand.

I want to grow fast Caserri, any ideas for me to go out and get a ton of locations? Should I pickup a phone book and start calling?

Rob

#16 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:13 AM

I want to grow fast Caserri, any ideas for me to go out and get a ton of locations? Should I pickup a phone book and start calling?

My best advice to you is keep doing what you are doing! Hooking up with a reliable but reasonable locator is only one piece to the puzzle. Do not rely on a locator alone. In addition to that, use your friends and business connections to help you expand. Offer a referral bonus like I do. I offer friends and family $30.00 (use whatever amout you're comfy with) for each locaton they refer. The bonus is payable once the machine has been on location for 30 days. That way if it is a hot location, the first monthy take will cover most, if not all, of the referral. I have friends who are so persistant about locating machines for me that they see it as a "work at home" opportunity and do quite well financially as a result.

You also have to be very vocal about what you do to everyone you come into contact with. I have secured countless locations by such indirect means it will make your head spin. One trick I use alot is, whenever I can I will pay for things with quarters! Guess what, 7 times out of ten it will lead to a discussion where you can explain why you have so many quarters. I've done this at the Burger King drive through and got a location, I've done that at a KMart and got a location.

Every time you buy a boat load of candy make sure you let everyone know why you are buying it. Most people in the checkout line will crack some sweet tooth joke to me. I used to be like "Ha Ha, thats funny" Now I make sure I tell them why Im buying all that candy. That peaks their interest. Who knows, You may be talking to the guy that owns the resaurant down the street.

Make sure you make it a point to patronize as many locally owned shops and restaurants as you can. Become friendly with the proprietors before you even tell them what you do. I like to think of this as fishing. Become friends by becoming their customer. When the time is right you will tell them what you do but dont sell it to them. Just give them the information. Plant the seed. "Hey Bob! Yeah I was just servicing my new account next door and thought I'd drop in for a late lunch." What do you think Bob is going to say? "New account?" Let that kind of friendly exchange happen naturally and never really try to sell him on putting a machine in his place. Thats like feeding the fish without the hook. Soon enough, he will start asking you "Hows business Rob?" Thats when you throw the hook in the water! I know this takes alot longer than just coming right out and asking, but your placement success rate will probably double, if not triple. Plus you have the added benefit of knowing the owner on a personal level. This will ensure that he pays special attention to your machine and will be less likely to throw you out if your machine becomes an eyesore in between servicing.

These are but a few ideas and tips. I can go on and on but I'll leave it at that for now.

#17 candyman007

candyman007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:58 PM

I will start paying with change, I like that idea. I try to network as much as possible. I always mention the business when I get a chance. I like the idea of getting friends involved too. I'll try the $30 referral program, although I'm not paying much more than that for locations now. I have a tremendous deal.

I got a big Goodyear location today and an apartment building. I think they will both do great. The Goodyear has a soda machine already so I know that will help. Talk soon.

Rob

#18 Guth Vending

Guth Vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

Ryan,

Go with Oak, or Northwestrn. Others are just not good enough. I wish I would have started with them. Get single heads with gumball wheels.

Kyle G.

#19 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:57 AM

Go with Oak, or Northwestrn. Others are just not good enough.

Do I sense another manufacturer debate brewing? :rolleyes:

#20 Guth Vending

Guth Vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

Only if you want to make it one! :unsure:

Kyle G.

#21 Guth Vending

Guth Vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

Only if you want to make it one! :unsure:

Kyle G.

#22 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

There is nothing wrong with healthy debate. I disagree with your assesment of Seaga's though. I think they are a fine machine. There are a few bad apples, as with any manufacturer but dollar for dollar the Seaga is a much better value than Oak. I'm not saying that Oak is a bad machine because its not. What I am saying is that the premium that is put on an Oak versus a Seaga is not worth it.

#23 Guth Vending

Guth Vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:10 AM

Like i said before I do not use Oak. I have a good friend who owns over 3,000 of the vista cab. machines. He is a millionaire doing this. Now I had the seagas and I guess with everything that is made in china, there is going to be a few flaws, like you said. The current machines I use are GMW. There a spin off of of the seagas, thay cost 35 dollars a machine. Now I think, myself, thay are better than seaga. I have many people on my back about using them. I look at it this way. Buying generic saves money. And with so many generic machines (GMW), there just the same as the name brand (oak).

Here is a Shoot out my friend has every year. That take seagas and shoot at them! LINK: http://www.theglasgowgroup.com/video/

Hope you like it. ENJOY!

#24 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

Now I had the seagas and I guess with everything that is made in china, there is going to be a few flaws, like you said.

Well that may be your problem. The Seaga's I run are made right here in the good ole USA! I make certian of that.

Hope you like it. ENJOY!

I was unable to see the video however judging by the photo I'm sure it was a "hoot"!

#25 Guth Vending

Guth Vending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:00 PM

Well mine are made in china. No problems! Just cheaper! Yep I liked the video because of what thoes seagas did to me!

How long have you been useing seagas?

Kyle G.