• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lplatt01

lplatt01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

I have read a couple of books and looked at some website including (NAMA and NVBA) but they seem to be most member driven. I am trying to find someone I can talk to about getting started in the vending business. In particular I have some specific questions:

1) How does one get a contract to vend at airports?

2) How much capital is reasonable to start with to get a business going?

3) How successful are toiletry only vending machines?

4) Does anyone have any experience with vending contracts at airports?

I am sure I will have more questions spurred on by your answers. Thanks for your help.

#2 schmedspub

schmedspub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

I have read a couple of books and looked at some website including (NAMA and NVBA) but they seem to be most member driven. I am trying to find someone I can talk to about getting started in the vending business. In particular I have some specific questions:

I am sure I will have more questions spurred on by your answers. Thanks for your help.

ASk AWay, Im sure you will get lots of responses and ideas

AS for Airports you have to talk to the Facilities manager, This is very tough account to get. Backround checks, insurance requirements Etc make is very hard to get in easily.

Capital is not important if you want to start small and grow. If you purchase an exsisting route than you need to have some $$

Toiletry does not sound like a winner to me but that is out of my relm

Good luck and Check out Vendiscuss.com for more answers to your questions. Very good Board here and there.

#3 caserri

caserri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

Good luck and Check out Vendiscuss.com for more answers to your questions. Very good Board here and there.

Thanks for the nod! I appreciate your support!

#4 bulkvending.blogspot.com

bulkvending.blogspot.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Flying Planes, Small Business, Stocks

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:32 AM

Hi and welcome to vending. Sounds like you already have some good ideas.

Feel free to visit our BulkVending Blog and start reading from the 2006 archives - present.
I think you will find some great information as it will progress through many steps of setting up the business.

It will also have posts that have references to other great sources, websites, blogs, forums, links etc. of information for you.

Many of our posts will consolidate info for you in one place.

Good Luck!

Check it out at http://www.bulkvending.blogspot.com

#5 kennr

kennr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have Been In Vending Over 40 years

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:33 AM

The Facilities Manager is a good suggestion if you can get to see them. Most times you will have to set an appointment. You also have to provide a lot of liability insurance at an airport and a lot of times you have to put in bids. I have been involved in airports when I worked with a large vending company not easy. You may also have to be able to provide all their vending needs throughout the entire airport. The capital you will need depends on how big you want to start and what type of equipment you are going to purchase. Location fees if you are not going to locate on your own. How much homework and research you are willing to do on the equipment you are going to buy. Like were to buy what to buy . Return on investment. How much labor is involved do I need a truck? How much commission do I pay a location? I had to provide a cookout once a month at a location with 500 employees instead of a commission free micro wave ovens change machines (I needed them at the airport too). Toiletry only vending machines? Are you buying these direct from the manufacturer or someone that told you you can make money with them? Do your homework check prices before you buy any. I do not know of anyone making money with them. I have experience with contracts, I used lawyers to draw up a lot of mine as did the company I worked for. There are a lot if standard contracts and location agreements you can use without a lawyer. [b]There is good money in vending do you homework ask a lot of questions from the people that have been in it for a while there is good advice out there. Sorry about the long speech. I have just seen to many people lose a lot of money not doing their homework.